PDA

View Full Version : Stahlberg skin shader

Nicool
06-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Hye,
I'm too much stupid to complete the Steven Stahlberg skin shader method tutorial... http://www.androidblues.com/shadetut.html

Where can I download the shading network? Can anyone someone who know how to do it send me the file ?
alexportation@hotmail.com

1001 thanks

ZeroNeuro
06-22-2003, 01:54 AM
First thing you want to learn, is how to use the layered shader in Maya. It should be in your documentation. Then you can go from there and build the sahder step by step... really all I can say is that it takes time to learn. the sistine chapel wasn't poly modelled in a day. ;)

I'll try to help on any specific problems that you have if you cant find it in the manual first. But the best thing to do is take the time out of a day to read it.

Cheers

Stahlberg
06-22-2003, 09:12 AM
I prefer not to actually send the shader to people, it's like giving cans of tuna instead of teaching someone to fish... :)

Which part of it is your problem? The highlights or the translucency fake?

Nicool
06-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your help. I'm a lot embarassed to not know complete your tutorial. :hmm: (Because of the fact english isn't my first langage, I can't get the main informations from your text easly.)

I know use layer shader, make simple network as a ramp cartoon shader or add a border... If you propose me your help, I want know if the ramp shader is right connected to the incandecency of the first shader (which was turn to a redish color).

I understand right your philosophy Steven. You're true, the main objective of your article is to make know that an extra render is not always needed. We have to find our solution :cool:

I want use your method for my character http://ndhaussy.free.fr/temp/june2003/troySmoothedGI.jpg

jintz
05-14-2004, 04:37 PM
A tutorial going through each and every step would be awesome, and it would clear up all the issues once and for all (-;

Please! :wavey:

Stahlberg
05-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Okay, I just posted this but the hackers deleted it.

Step 1:
Go to Highend3d.com, Maya shaders,
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/shaders/
scroll down to SimpleToon v1.0, or further down 4 other toon-shaders starting with 'Toon-...............pick one, download it.
(Also grab the "Xray" or "Microscopic" shader, good for 'peach-fuzz' layer.)
2:
Also from Highend3d
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/emmanuel1/
download Backlight Shader by Emmanuel Campin.

3:
Create plain Lambert (called Base).

4:
Create transparent PhongE (Flat Highlight)

5:
Duplicate it, then use the Backlight shader tutorial to make the highlight flare out at glancing angles (Glancing Highlight).

6:
Create transparent Lambert, put the ramp controlling the toon-shader in it's incandescency channel (Translucency fake)

7:
Create a Layered Shader, drag Base, Translucency fake, Flat and Glancing into it (MMB drag), with Base at the bottom of course.
Done, or add 'peach-fuzz' or any other layers to taste.

Gremlin
05-15-2004, 05:52 AM
stahlberg,
I can't learn unless I do it myself, and I can't understand unless I disect the network so... can you gimmie some steps without downloading other peoples shaders.

I understand the facing ratio + ramp for the fake translucency, and I know how to make a layered shader, but how do I set up the "glancing highlight" ?? I dont get it... I assume a facing ratio is order, but what do I plug the ramp into? thats what I dont understand... :hmm:

Stahlberg
05-15-2004, 08:00 AM
The second link is more than just downloading the shader, it's a very good tutorial too, much better than what I could hope to tell you. But, okay:

Create one SamplerInfo node, one Ramp node (without placement node), and one BlendColors node.

Connect from Samplerinfo
samplerInfo.normalCameraZ
to
ramp.uCoord

Connect from Ramp
ramp.outAlpha
to
blendColors1.blender

Connect from BlendColors
blendColors1.OutputR (for 8bits, add -G and -B for 24bit)
to
anything you want, for instance highlight Size, Roughness, Color, Eccentricity, any channel in any shader that you want to be able to control this way. Then you control it by setting the interpolation in the ramp, and maybe moving the indices around - keep the ramp a simple black and white - and edit the colors in the ColorBlender. I usually set one color to black and the other to varying degrees of gray/tinted white.

This shader is old though, today you can also get a similar effect with a transparent Rampshader; actually I think I know at least 2 other ways it could be done... however I find this one easier to control and tweak than the others.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.