PDA

View Full Version : Animation: IKChan

SpaceFork
06-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey howdy, I just finished a short little animation (just over 6 secs) and I was hoping for some input on what you guys and gals thought. C&C more than welcome. It's based off of a Jackie Chan fight scene in Drunken Master. It was done in Maya using Goosh's IKJoe rig (a bit modified).

http://www.mikedine.com/images/chantest.jpg

check it out on my site: http://www.mikedine.com/html/anims.html

Rei Ayanami
06-21-2003, 11:47 PM
THat is good fun animation! nice representation of Chan and the fight!

lildragon
06-22-2003, 12:05 AM
ok this is my martial arts training speaking, so excuse the minut crits.

- firstly more power in the punches, kicks and blocks

- more follow thru (this will also help create the illusion of power) currently all the punches and kicks stop on a dime

- in the recoils you need to snap the punches and kicks back. Think my man Bruce lee here, waa taaa , Jackie does it too, but he doesn't have a cool line like that ;)

- bend those knees, get low, Jackie is usually very low and there's good reason for that, he'll straighten up to land a punch with more force

- more arcs in the spine and kicks, too linear right now

- his round-house is excellent, but the dude that got kicked needs a lil more work in his fall back.

- last exaggerate all their movements and hits more, read the book drawing the Marvel way, and you'll see what I mean ;)

That's it for now but very good start, do keep us posted.

animatabull
06-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Good points from lildragon, just need to feel the force of the punches more, but I really like it. Good camera work.

SpaceFork
06-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Guess I shoulda posted this in the WIP forum after all. Lildragon, you are completely right, good animation is entirely about those little minutae. I used a video capture of the movie as reference and, for the most part, the animation follows Jackie's movements almost exactly, but I guess it needs a little more exaggeration to make it work in CG. Ironically the only thing I didn't have video reference for was the roundhouse, (we'd call that a reverse sidekick in Taekwondo) and I think that turned out the best. I will take your suggestions into consideration and re-work some of those hits.

lithik
06-22-2003, 05:43 AM
from MY martial arts experience i would agree on most of what dragon said but on the round house i suggest you speed it up a bit because it came out a bit slow

martinez
06-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Great stuff. I think it could look even more incredible if you added more spine and hip movement into Jackie's character. Nobody can throw a punch that fast or even block and incoming punch without at least a little spine movement.

I'd say your done with the first 2 thugs. The 3rd could use a little groggyness after he lands. And the 4th, as stated, isn't as good as the others.

Great work man.

I'm still kinda new to this bored. Is there somewhere we can download Goosh's IKJoe rig? Thanks.

lildragon
06-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by martinez
Is there somewhere we can download Goosh's IKJoe rig? Thanks.

http://www.vfs.com/~m07goosh/FreeStuff.htm

enjoy

-lild

SpaceFork
06-23-2003, 01:49 AM
lithik & martinez: Thanks for the input. I really appreciate these constructive criticisms as opposed to the plethora of "good job", :beer: , and "needs work" responses we normally see on these boards.

slice56
06-23-2003, 03:43 AM
like i mentioned before, that last guy he kicks needs a new landing. its way too sudden and it seems like he jumps a little too much when he hits the ground. you should have him hit that wall and slide down it like he got knocked out. he seems too stiff. maybe if you made him look a little limp (ie. knocked out), then it would look right. other than that, great job man :thumbsup:

tenl
06-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Would love to put this on the frontpage of my site. I should have it up in a couple of days. Will let you know.

P.S. I know it's a WIP but how about some music to it?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.