PDA

View Full Version : Modo-XSI Integration: simple question

shushens
12-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi guys!

I have some simple questions about working with XSI and Modo together. I have been making this classic sports car that has lots of small parts inside and out like small lights and logo and mirrors and meters and wheels and spokes on them, etc. etc.

When I am trying to export from Modo to XSI using OBJ, all those tiny objects are getting merged into one mesh, which is very inconvenient. If I try LWO, then the size information is lost and what is a small model in Modo becomes gigantic in XSI. When I export it back to Modo as OBJ or LWO, it does not become small again and stays gigantic, so that does not work so well.

The second problem is, when I am exporting it from XSI to Modo, a lot of random pieces have all polygons flipped. Sometimes it is easier to fix, sometimes it is quite difficult. The 'align' tool does not work always. In fact is fails more often than it succeeds. Since I need to import and export very often, this is giving me a huge headache.

The third problem is, unlike XSI or any other 3D app., Modo does not export what is selected. Instead, it exports all meshes, even the hidden ones. The only way I seem to export what I want is to delete the rest of the geometry and export and eventually undo the delete. It seems a very clumsy and risky way of working.

If someone has any solution to these problems, please shed some light into the matter. Thanks in advance!

fuzzylizard
12-23-2008, 05:22 AM
You may be better served asking this question on the Luxology forum, there is a current thread about working in Modo and XSI.

shushens
12-23-2008, 05:32 AM
I posted this thread here and there at pretty much the same time. So far, no response from there. Even the view count is pretty low.

I have been a member there for a while now. But what happens to my threads there seriously discourages me from posting any further.

Sbowling
12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I wold really learn to model in XSI. Once you learn modeling in XSI, you may never go back to modo (at least I didn't).

toonafish
12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
check your thread @ luxology.com

softdistortion
12-24-2008, 01:40 AM
I wold really learn to model in XSI. Once you learn modeling in XSI, you may never go back to modo (at least I didn't).

Maybe it's dependent an each person, cause I have XSI Ess and Modo, and I spend more time in Modo.... model tools are sweet and as for the rest...UV and Texture tools are double sweet.

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2008, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.