PDA

View Full Version : Deforming in Local Space

sabusomu
12-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Recently I got my hands on a rig which is having many hierarchies like any other production rig. But what got me amazed to the rig is that the rig is having all the deformation happening in the local space in origin. I have never done things like that. basically what is happening is that all the deformation are connected to the final visible mesh through outMesh connection. so even if u take the rig far away from the origin it still actually deforms the underlying mesh and rig on the origin and then it reflect the effect in the current position.
I was just thinking what cud be the reason behind it?? Is it for the sake of speed. If it is than the rig is pretty slow. What cud be the real reason? Oh... It is in MAYA.

kattkieru
12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Using local transform values is usually done to get around strange hierarchies or to control things in separate hierarchies that are also fighting with other deformers. For example, a production rig I used once had multiple wire deformers on a blendshape that was fed into the main mesh, which was already being deformed by joints before the blendshape. Using local coordinates to drive the position of the clusters allowed the rigger to keep the spline controllers that deformed the wire "stuck to" the mesh, but also let them modify the blend shape's wire deformer's CV clusters.

It was complex as hell, and I don't recommend doing things like that unless you absolutely have to. On that project, it was a necessity. Dunno about the rig you're looking at. Also, slowdowns could be for any number of other reasons.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.