PDA

View Full Version : Animating eyes?

ub52
06-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Can someone help me with setting up the eyes of my character to animate in MB. I've modeled my char in Lightwave and am using the skeleton provided by 3DDave. I've no problems getting into MB and being able to animate the body of my character, but for the life of me I can't seem to get control of the eyes. Right now they are seperate spheres in my model and I'm using weight maps so the eyebones in the skeleton will only effect them. In MB though, I can select these bones and rotate them, but they have no effect on the eyes. Is there some other way that works.

Thanks.
-ub52

CurtisG
06-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey ub52,

Shoot me a mail and I'll send you a example of a eye-look-at-constraint. It's about 120kb, which is too big to post on this forum.

Anyone else that wants this sample scene can shoot me a message as well.

I'll see if I can find an easy place to host it.

Cheers,

cornel H.
06-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Hi Curtis,

I'm having the same problem,
can you send me the file as well ? Thanks ! What's your email ?
Are there any instructions included with the file ?

Originally posted by CurtisG
Hey ub52,

Shoot me a mail and I'll send you a example of a eye-look-at-constraint. It's about 120kb, which is too big to post on this forum.

Anyone else that wants this sample scene can shoot me a message as well.

I'll see if I can find an easy place to host it.

Cheers,

3DDave
06-29-2003, 12:10 AM
This is how I setup the eyes using IK in MB.

First off if the eye bones do not rotate the eyes, check to make sure you have the weight maps set to the correct eye.

Basically what I did was to add a Skeleton Root and a Skeleton Node in MB. These were parented to the eye bone. (The MB Root is like a null and is the pivot point for the Node that is really a bone). The new Node (bone) is moved from the center of the eye to the front of the eye. Create a Null to act as an eye target and place this a little bit out in front of the eye.

Then create an IK constraint.

First Limb: LW_Eye_Bone
Last Limb: Skeleton Root
End Point: Skeleton Node
Effector: Eye Target

Select Snap to turn the constraint on and you should be able to rotate the eye target and see your characters eye move.

Do the same for the other eye.

Create a master eye null that is in the center of the eye targets, parent the eye targets to this null. Rotate the master eye null and both eyes will rotate together.

Hope that gives you an idea of how to do eyes for the rig I made.

LFGabel
07-02-2003, 09:39 AM
I'll add to 3DDave's post.

What I also do to keep the master eye null with the character is parent it to a holder null, then position constraint the holder null to the hips or neck or head.

This way the goal will move with the character, yet you are free to move the master eye null to make your character look around.

It also allows you to lock your character's gaze on something and allow it to turn it's head and still look at that object.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.