PDA

View Full Version : Kito dancing...

DanHaffner
12-20-2008, 06:50 AM
I was in here before asking about Kito the turtle model, about practicing rigging him up. Currently in my school we had a motion capture course that taught us how to use a mocap system from start to finish, with the programs Cortex and Motion Builder.

I chose Kito for the model to be used in my group as I really like the model, as did the rest of my group, so we used him to be our dancer. We only had a month to learn how a mocap system works, getting the data, cleaning it, applying it to an actor, then applying it to a model. Then we had to go into motion builder and fix any issues, such as the arms going through the body and shell, etc etc.

I don't have it on a reel or anything like that, we just had to take 5 different movements that the actor did, aka the intern in the mocap suit, and use that data to make our model move to the same movements. Motion build uses layer animation which for me was almost impossible to get down, I can't stand it to be honest, so trying to fix the data using layer animation was REALLY rough for me.

In the end, the result is rather amusing. We had to take all our movements and blend them together in one video for our final project, I decided to take it one step further and put some music in there for each of the dances we had the actor do.

I would like to thank William for allowing me to use the model for projects and such. Anyone that asked where I got the model was informed of who modeled it and where I got it from, a couple other students expressed interest in playing with the model as well so I directed them to this forum.

Here is what my group came up with, the animation is REALLY rough but we only had a week to learn motion builder, then a week to apply everything we learned in the month to an actual model. I asked to take the model into maya but was denied, I was really unhappy with how rough it was and knew I could fix it in maya if allowed.

Let me know what you all think:

http://www.vimeo.com/2580631

az3d
01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I think the setup looks pretty good.

Did you use a reverse foot setup for the foot?

DanHaffner
01-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Nah, the foot had the exact same rig as motion builder auto-creates, meaning the foot only had a joint in the ball, one at the end of the toes, and one in the ankle, as you would guess, three joints for the foot make editing severely limited.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2009, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.