PDA

View Full Version : DGS How To?

clojster
06-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Please help me, I'm new to Mental Ray and don't know how to setup DGS material to work for me. (How to connect lights to it, how to connect Physical Light to normal Maya Light etc...)

I'd be grateful for some advices or short tutorial on howto setup DGS with lights etc.

Thanks to anyone who will reply :beer:

misterdi
06-23-2003, 05:58 AM
I never use MR custom shader in production yet, but from the previous thread I know that most of MR custom shaders need implicit link from the light.

Open connection editor, on the right side load your DGS material, on the left side load the lightShape node.

Connect message to Lights.

connectAttr -f pointLightShape1.message dgs_material1.lights[0];

Just be careful, I think it's an array list on lights, so if you have several lights then you need to link them one by one and increase the lights indices.

But as I mention before I'm not use to have this custom shader in production, maybe I'm wrong.

Best regards,

clojster
06-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Yes, thank you!!!
I realized that it's better (maybe required) to put DGS_Photon_material to each ShadingGroup you have for better speed and results. But with that DGS - I never get results I expect. For example - I put my color map into DGS material's Diffuse node and after render that object don't have that texture on it... If you or somebody knows how to do it, please give me advice :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.