PDA

View Full Version : ok a real try this time

cerreto
05-01-2002, 08:12 AM
I am actualy going to take my time and do this until its good this is about the fourth stage and ill keep working on it !

cerreto
05-01-2002, 08:13 AM
Btw sheep this makes 2 from me waaz up ?

SheepFactory
05-01-2002, 08:20 AM
Damn this one is so good :eek:

take it easy on me man , ,i was just collecting enough self-esteem here to post one , then you came out and posted this? , thats harsh man :)

I'll post ASAP (after my finals are over tomorrow)

:thumbsup:

A|i

aaronstg
05-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Nice work, Trav! That freaking rocks. She's hot. Keep sketching, and maybe I'll post something.

cerreto
05-01-2002, 10:06 AM
ok i did 2 now you got to do at least one!!!!

Sangotten
05-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Hey looking allright!

The girl loks really okay, I can see no big mistakes or anything like it, but the guy seems to have had some beating in the face;)
You might wanna study a bit more on that male portrait, for instance his hair.

..But practise makes perfect!!!:thumbsup:

hawkprey
05-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey cerrato!

Good stuff. I agree that the girls face has volume because you nailed that one receding eye. The guys face is a flat because he is facing 3/4 but his eyes are straight on.

Cant wait to see your progression with these.

cerreto
05-01-2002, 10:23 PM
very helpful thanks i have a big problem with trying to rush through stuff in like 10 minutes the girl i did 4 times and took my time to get to that point but the guy i rushed throug! after postingi noticed the eyes and the messed up ear etc

The main thing with the girl was trying to get the eye (receding eye down does anyone have any tips for this or know of any tutorials to teach you to do this quickly or is it just from practice ?

I realy suck so geting advice and harsh crits doesnt bother me at all as much as i suck ill force my self to post so i can get advice to fix stuff thanx guys !

jmringuet
05-02-2002, 05:51 AM
You traced the girl, that's so obvious :D

Tssss...

cerreto
05-02-2002, 09:55 AM
I traced it 3 times actauly !!!! nice site by the way maybe you can give me some help with techniques etc blak fish id apreciate it

I should explain better the girl took 3 hours! and on several sheets the guy was on one sheet real fast (real fast for me ) the guy sketch took 20 minutes I dont realy have a problem when i sit down to do a long drawn out pic the problem is its long and drawn out lol i did a tut lol me doing a 2d tut hahahah on how i do pics when i do them like the girl its not realy sketiching when its done this way more like aa blue print but effective her it is did this in about 40 minutes while talking to a firend on msn so its not that good
http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/dt1.jpg

This is not the same pic as the tut sorry just a cleaner copy tools i use mechanical pencil eraser .03 ink pen ,eraser, temlate ,eraser ,small ruller to flip ,eraser, and compas

and i also use a eraser alot !

cerreto
05-02-2002, 10:00 AM
http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/dt2.jpg

First thing i do is draw a horizon line followed by two parelell andgel line
then i draw iris 's and one eye width apart i draw form the tip of where i think the eyelashes will be

After i get the basic eye shape i just guess a curve for the nose i use the top end point of it (exteneded just a bit from the edge of the eye as a guide to draw a circle for the basic head mass

Next i use the same point tooo draw a verticle line along theedge of the circle down and a horizontal line this will guid me in placeing the ear and the cheeck bone among other things later draw a small cheek bone curve from just above the croner of the eye

cerreto
05-02-2002, 10:12 AM
the next steps I usualy take are the lips the edges as far as i can tell look best when they are lined up with the middle of the pupil opr around abuot and the middle of the lips looks to me to be about even with the bend in the jaw give or take a inch or so placing the ear etc

At this stage i can realy see things starting to go wrong fairly well for example the lips need to be tilted forward and wrap the face better the jaw line is a lil off and the corner of it not right chin is looking goofy etc so i go ahead now that i have the general shape throwsome scribled hair lines on and that is about the end of the first page for me

after i do all the above i trace the face onto a new paper the areas that willbbe changed like lips so on are sketched lightly i try to keep the pointsfrom areas i like or no to be good like the cheek isnt bad so i leave it but try to add a slight s curve to the chin Lips and the receding eye are two hard ones for me so i spend alot of time on it too when i get to a point i think its decent the papers is usuealy a mess

so again i try to find mistakes and there usualy still there ! :( trace again for a clean look and then work on a final thats about it this didnt take me long but then again its notthat great either but maybe it will help someone or help someone help me

drawing like this doesnt do me alot of good or anyone else i dont think i am just trying to learn to do it all free hand so to speak and faster more productive any help is welcome

http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/dt3.jpg

marioucci
05-02-2002, 10:20 AM
heyas trav,

The technique ure using is really good!
that trick to metch the eyes to the angle of the shot using the parallel lines connected to a viewpoint is very usefull.

the lines of the final product are clean and flowed.
and she has a sexy look too:)

i liked that male face too. i think its ready to be painted over.
i really like the idea of having tutorials here, cos i use to spend a lot of time studying paintings and 3d scenes to find out the tricks myself and thats really time consuming.
thanks a lot buddy :thumbsup:
loganarts

Fuzer
05-02-2002, 10:22 AM
FWIW: This helped me quite a bit :thumbsup:
It may be too slow, but looks like a great way to learn to do it "free hand" :)

cerreto
05-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Well heres the final image for the girl tut i raised the jaw line and tried to give her a more sqaure face and difrent style eyes kind of like when my woman is just a lil tiny bit mad at me

http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/dt5.jpg

cerreto
05-02-2002, 11:09 AM
normaly this pic would be the second pic where i try to work out the lines a lil better but i just wanted to do this for the tut hope you like it

jmringuet
05-03-2002, 03:22 AM
I was joking dude, as implied by the :D

I wouldn't say anything without proof.

That being said your technique is absolutely insane. If you're getting good results with it that's probably good, but that's really crazy. I have never seen anybody, pros included, use those crazy construction lines :) And 3 hours is a little too much for a skecth I would say. With a little training you can probably achieve that kind of result freehand in about 15 minutes. Just my 2 cents.

cerreto
05-03-2002, 06:47 AM
yeah i know it totaly sucks but i am slowly learning from practicing to do it without it but if i want good results i do it that way cmon man i seen your cowgirl post a mini tut here as well you got good stuff help the needY LOL

jmringuet
05-03-2002, 07:08 AM
If I can help I'd be glad too. I don't have any tutorial ready but I can make a small one if necessary. I can also answer any kind of questions you have about whatever you want to ask :) I don't really have a 'technique' (or I never thought about it like that) but I'll do my best to help.

Shoot!

And I'm glad you liked my cowgirl :) For those who don't know her:

http://www.jmringuet.com/nina_outriders2.jpg

illustr8rX
05-03-2002, 08:19 AM
that's a nice drawing cerreto, but you're taking the long way to get there. I think with practice and maybe some life-drawing you will get faster and can do away with some of the 'construction' technique; and loosen up and just draw what you see-and what you see with your minds' eye. I wish I could offer more concrete advice, other than to observe and practice.
A few years back I read a book on portrait drawing which showed how to block in shapes by shading in the head roughly, capturing your light and shadows early, then placing the details in as you refine the piece, like a sculpture on paper. It worked for me, i did the drawing of my cat that way on my site. I'll try to find the name of the book and post ithttp://www.donperkins.com/images/traditional/tr_otis383x500.jpg
like I said, I wish I could help, not that you need much, you do great work.
thanks, don

cerreto
05-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys looks like im just going to have to be more observant and loosen up ! the advice and motivation u guys give is great thank you also nice pic man that cat is detailed man ! ill keep at it and the sketch by numbers has defently got to go give me a fe weeks ill be alot better hopefully thanks guys

xenxen
05-31-2002, 08:48 PM
cerreto, I was studying your linework on your most recent post and noticed a few things. If you don't mind I'm going to drop a few pointers for you, take it for face value, if not, it's no big loss.

1. I saw through the past iterations of that last piece you posted, that your quest/need for techincal accurateness on your image overrides one basic fundamental when it comes to illustration - epsecially the direction you are going in. Technical Accurateness kills an illustration. Illustration is like story telling, you want to suspend a viewers belief temporarily. Don't be too worried about the fact that your porportions aren't matching up 100% accurate etc. worry more about the fact that you get the idea accross more than anything else.

2. When it comes to drawing free form, loosen up with your pencil, I noticed your guidelines were shaky and not as free flwoing as your contour lines. Try creating a smooth curve without having stop 15 times to check the direction of your line or alignment. you can alwasy clean things up later.

3. your drawing latest drawing is great, but it's a bit stale in the fact that it reminds me of illustrations straight from a referencebook or colouruing book. Give your illustration some life with a little more freeform practice.

4. It helps to take some life drawing classes - they help you better understand the human form and how the underlying muscle/bone structure of a face creates emotion and ultimately character.

Other than those points I think you have a lot of potential!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.