PDA

View Full Version : can you import 3DS files into Lw??

sebek27
06-21-2003, 03:27 PM
when i try to load a 3DS file it won't come in... i tried import but when i hit import nothing happens, same thing when i draw a box and hit export - nothing happens !??

Cman
06-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Have you tried using Kaydara's fbx format?

Ken Mac
06-21-2003, 04:14 PM
I have never had a problem. Should work.
Just take the default settings on the 3DS Import Options.
KenMac

Zarathustra
06-21-2003, 06:47 PM
are you sure it's 3ds and not Max (whatever the extension is)?

Triple G
06-21-2003, 07:54 PM
You may need to edit your config file for Modeler. Open it up in Notepad or something, and take a look at the line where it says "FileType Objects"

It should look something like this:

FileType Objects .lwo;LWOB;LWLO

Change it to read like this, and you should have no problems:

FileType Objects .lwo;LWOB;LWLO;.3ds;.dxf;.obj

(personally, I don't know if you need to add dxf and obj, but I did anyway, and haven't had any problems. :)

E_Moelzer
06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
You dont need to edit the config- files to load them, just to have them show up in the filerequester. Lazy as I am I usually just select "all files" from the pulldown to have them show.
CU
Elmar

Triple G
06-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Ahh....thanks for that clarification, Elmar. :wise:

sebek27
06-21-2003, 10:16 PM
You dont need to edit the config- files to load them, just to have them show up in the filerequester. Lazy as I am I usually just select "all files" from the pulldown to have them show.

how do i do this ?? i am in modeler and i press import and nothing happens ...

Triple G
06-21-2003, 10:20 PM
You don't need to import a 3ds. Just go to File->Open, change it to All File Types, and select your 3ds file.

I meant File->Load Object. If that doesn't work, then there must be something about the file itself that Lightwave doesn't like.

sebek27
06-21-2003, 10:23 PM
there is no file-open... i tried load object but says error reading file and i know the file is ok..

E_Moelzer
06-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey Sebek!
Use "load object" and select "all" from the pulldown- menue in the file- dialog.
Make sure you have all your plugins- added (the special one is called "conv3d.p" and should be in "plugins\input-output").
If this file still refuses to load you might want to try another file (i.e a free one from turbosqud or whatever)Žand see if it works then. If it still refuses to work, you should either reinstall you plugins from CD or contact NewTek- customer- support.
BTW, the wavefront (*.obj)- format seems to work better IMHO. Best might be the FBX- format (there is a free plugin on kaydara.com for that).
Hope that helps.
CU
Elmar

sebek27
06-21-2003, 10:51 PM
yep i have this conv3d.p plugin in my input-output
i tried importing an obj file and still says error reading face.obj
maybe i'll have to reinstall :( if i do reinstall, how do I keep the special tab I created with all my tools that I use along with some extra plugins ??

Triple G
06-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Just a thought, but where are you getting your obj and 3ds files from? Are you exporting them both from a different program? Maybe there's something with the way this program is writing the files that doesn't groove well with LW. I know this doesn't really help you if that's the case, but just thought I'd mention it.:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.