PDA

View Full Version : Tri's to Quads in Max?

davidsharp
12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm working with a model that was created in Autocad. part of the model is intended to be textured with grass and I'm using vray displacement but it's screwing up since the model is triagulated instead of quads.

I'd rather not remodel it in max with quads if possible but I really want to use vray displacement is there a modifier I can put on the existing geometry that would effectively map the geometry as though it were quads instead of triangulated? I've been playing with it but I haven't found anything that looks like it will do that.

thorn3d
12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
There's a plugin on scriptspot.com that will convert your tris to quads... i've used it on a couple of hi-res models, and it worked well. Perhaps it will help in your situation.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/quadrangulate

thorn

Piflik
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Here's (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/detriangulator) another script, also from Scriptspot.com

miclepickle
01-03-2009, 05:46 AM
is it modeled in tris or does the exporter make it tris?

if the exporter makes it tris there should be an option to export as quads.

davidsharp
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the links guys! I tried them both but it didn't solve the problem.

is it modeled in tris or does the exporter make it tris?

if the exporter makes it tris there should be an option to export as quads.

I was using the file link manager in Max to import the 3D model from Autocad. Our project managers and architects are constantly changing and updating designs and although this method of work flow doesn't lend itself well to final renderings it allows me to keep up with them during the design process and quickly render updates for our clients to review until a final design is worked out.

I'll look again for some quad export options. I just assumed Autocad was modeling with tris.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.