PDA

View Full Version : Problem compositing 8bit images in flash/photoshop

user2k8
12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey there beautiful people

I'm currently working on a flash application that will be used to display architectural interior renderings with various interactive features. One of the features is to be able to control the strength of different light sources. Pretty much trying to replicate a simple version of the Multilight (http://www.maxwellrender.com/maxwell_firsts.html) feature in Maxwell Render.

I have bunch of HDR images, each exported with a single lightsource active. Now combining these images is just a simple matter of compositing the layers in Nuke or Photoshop, using over and linear dodge(add) respectively. This produces the same result as exporting an image with all the lightsources active.

Flash however doesn't support 32bit images, so in order to do the same compositing in flash, the images must first be converted to 8bit. Unfortunately, compositing the 8bit images using linear dodge(add) in photoshop or flash doesn't produce the same image at all. So I assume in order to get the correct result you need the data that is being stripped away when converting to 8bit.

The question is
Is there a way to convert the 32bit images to 8bit, so I can correctly add them together?

th3ta
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
What if you composite them the way you want in 32bit, then convert them to 8bit after?

taran0
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
i've been trying this aswell with no luck
anyoen have any solutions to this

taran

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.