PDA

View Full Version : Noob question - Please help

NZBode
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just started getting into character modeling. I'm wondering what the best method of connecting and arm to a torso is (2 separate editable polys).

Should I use a Boolean to create new vertices on the torso so I can create new edges from the arm to torso? Or is there a better way to do it?

I have started modeling the arms, legs and torso separately - is that bad practice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Piflik
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
I think you should connect the parts by hand. I don't know what program you're using, but I haven't had any good experience with booleans. Especially when modeling a character, where you really should have consistent edge loops.

nmcelmury
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Agreed, I would highly advise not using booleans, they will probably make more work for you than if you went in vert by vert and did it by hand.

Usually the way I work is to build the torso with a hole for the arms and legs, then extrude the arms and legs straight from the torso geometry, this way you have total control over your edgeloops and don't have to worry about connecting geometry after he fact.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.