PDA

View Full Version : Dust Layer

DarkZeal
12-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi, I just started messing with rendering and one of the thing I hear alot is rendering a "dust layer" or something like that. I have no idea what that is and google don't really give me any results. Is that like the dust acculmated on the surface of a object, or the dust in the air?

Also if anyone got any tutorials or can tell me how to make a dust layer that'll be great. thanks

TiMrozek
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe you read a reference to something very specific, but my guess is that a dust layer can refer to many things. In general it's a layer that is added to generate some sort of noise or something to add imperfections to your shot. CG is very clean by default and the real world is full of imperfections. So my guess is that you've read about people creating passes that include scratches, dust, noise, etc. to make the surfaces of their objects just a bit imperfect to add to the realism of the render.

If floating dust is something you are looking for, a good trick is to just create a group of triangles and color them a general hazy brownish color, maybe have them rotating and moving slowly through your scene. It's nice to make these objects shiny so they'll catch your lighting on occasion. Render this pass seperately, composite it and blur the hell out of it so it's unrecognizable. This can be a nice way to add a bit of depth, and imperfection to your scene.

So in general, I'm guessing that your dust pass is just a pass to add imperfections. I could be completely wrong on this though so if someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

mister3d
12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I also think it refers to aged look of objects in your scene. Of course it's not always you will want to make them look old. For example if you make a brand-new laboratory, it may be quite clean.
It can be also an air perspective, as air contains some dust, so you can add a bit of fog even in indoor scenes. This is very often used in films as a separation element.

Render this pass seperately, composite it and blur the hell out of it so it's unrecognizable. This can be a nice way to add a bit of depth, and imperfection to your scene.

Nice trick, thank you. :thumbsup:

MikeBracken
12-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Mabey it was Dirt Layer ? If so check out the AO/dirtmap shaders.

Regards,
Mike

DarkZeal
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Mabey it was Dirt Layer ? If so check out the AO/dirtmap shaders.

Regards,
Mike

Yes I think that was it. I guess I remembered wrong xP . So there are shaders that does the effect for you? Does it replace normal AO shaders in a scene?

If floating dust is something you are looking for, a good trick is to just create a group of triangles and color them a general hazy brownish color, maybe have them rotating and moving slowly through your scene. It's nice to make these objects shiny so they'll catch your lighting on occasion. Render this pass seperately, composite it and blur the hell out of it so it's unrecognizable. This can be a nice way to add a bit of depth, and imperfection to your scene.

Awesome tip. I think I'm gonna definetly use this too. Espeically the rotating bit thats genius.

TiMrozek
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
No prob, glad to pass the trick along.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.