PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start using LW?

leigh
06-21-2003, 05:39 AM
I don't think we've had this one before.

Why did you start using LightWave? I'd be interested to know, especially since it doesn't have the broad popularity with 3D newcomers (especially those of whom are Kazaa users ;)) as programs like Max or Maya.

It's interesting how many people don't even know of LightWave. I recently starting teaching at a college that teaches Max and Maya, and when my students asked me about my work, and I mentioned that I use LW, most of them had never heard of it! And these guys are second year students, so they know a thing or two about 3D :)

So I think it's safe to assume that for most people, LW was not their first 3D app, perhaps with the exception of people who starting doing 3D a really long time ago, when programs like Maya were not around, and programs like XSI were totally unaffordable (well, it still is, isn't it).

Soooo... how did you come into contact with LW, and what made you decide to buy it and use it for your stuff?

For me personally, I started of on Max at college, and used that for nearly two years, before I went to work at a local studio that was using LW. Interestingly enough, I'd heard of LW before (on the internet and stuff), and just a week or so before going to this studio, I'd been on an artists website who had been a Max user previously, but had switched to LW, and I had really liked the look of the stuff he had posted on his site. At this time, I'd been getting a little frustrated with Max (was using version 2.5), and had been looking for a new program to try out. The interface and stuff that I saw of LW on this guys site made me interested in the program.
And then, lo and behold, a week or so later I ended up at this studio where I had to learn LW, and I really liked using it from the word go, especially the Modeler.
I got my own license of it around the middle of last year so that I could use it at home as well as work, and am still obviously using it today. It's just so easy to use :)

I'm also learning to use Maya properly though, especially since I am teaching at that school that uses it. And I think I might brush up on my Max skills there too, as I haven't used the last few releases of it, and I'd like to stay up to date. But I don't see myself purcasing either of these programs anywhere in the near future, especially since they are so damn expensive, especially when you live on a third world continent with third world money :p

So for me, LW is cool, quick and easy to use most of the time, and convenient. And I'm really glad that I started using it because it really helped me get into organic modelling, and I also love texturing with it, and I just generally feel so comfortable and in control when using it. It's a fun program.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing what's in store in LW8 - I have a long list of things I'd love to see implemented into LW over the course of the next few years.

So, I'm interested to hear your stories now... :D

Array
06-21-2003, 05:47 AM
I still havent had a chance to try it :annoyed:

I want to see what all of the fuss is about.

wgreenlee1
06-21-2003, 05:50 AM
Frustrated with everything that costs less,Truespace,Bryce,Etc...
Lightwave was the next logical step.

Learning Maya has really put a cramp in my Lightwave use but never the less Lightwave willl always be in my work flow.

The thing that caught my eye is that not only does Lightwave have a broad hobbiest base but a professional base as well.

Wide community,enhanced but tons of tutorials and learning options makes it a really great program and a great step onto the bigger apps.

I'm curious to know what makes you think Kazaa users prefer Max and Maya?
Where did you get that info?
Is there a data base with the downloads from Kazaa that show who has what?

I started with poser3....thats before I even knew you could model your own stuff.
I quickly realised thats what I wanted to do.
Not play with premade models but actually model everything from scratch.

THe whole thing is if I had known years ago that I actually could learn something as complex as Maya I would started with that and bypassed all of these mid and low range programs.

All in all Lightwave is the middle of the 3D universe.
Its affordable yet powerful.

SimianLogic
06-21-2003, 05:55 AM
I really had no clue which programs did what before I started (about 9 months ago--no pro here). I'd heard of Maya, but that's it. I was sniffing around in the class bulletin at UGA when I was a freshman and saw there was a 3d animation class, so I made sure to get all the pre-reqs out of the way my freshman year. I've had 2 semesters of LW animation now. They're thinking of starting some Maya classes next year, but for now it's primarily LW. Got it for that, and I'll probably stick with it. I may not be that good, but I'm a big fan.

leigh
06-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
I'm curious to know what makes you think Kazaa users prefer Max and Maya?
Where did you get that info?
Is there a data base with the downloads from Kazaa that show who has what?

Hehe it was just a little joke, hence the winking smilie ;)
Actually, in all seriousness, the majority of warez related threads that we remove almost daily from CG Talk are Max related. I was also a bit appalled to hear how many of my students are using cracked copies of it at home. I'm guessing that it is easy to get hold of :shrug:

One just hopes that one day those people have the decency to shell out the cash for their apps :thumbsup:

Cman
06-21-2003, 06:14 AM
Great thread idea Leigh!

About max - yeah, I knew guys with copies of Max before I really knew what 3D was. I think that's why it's so big with so many startup game companies, they all learned 3d with cheap (free) copies of Max!
But that's just conjecture.

Anyway, when I decided to get into post-production I interned at a studio I had freelanced for (I was a Grip/Lighting technician). They had a copy of LW.
I started making little things like my name spinning and reflecting on a checkered floor! :applause:
(It was around this time some people started offering me cracks of Max - and none of them even knew each other!)

Shortly thereafter I went to work for a TV studio and they had LW and were about to drop the license, and I talked 'em out of it. That was LW 5.6.

That was that.

rickycox
06-21-2003, 06:15 AM
I did a Advanced Multimedia elective at Uni and all the students voted to learn Lightwave. I'd never heard of it before, got started with 5.4 and then got hooked. Lots of fun ever since :)

wgreenlee1
06-21-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
Hehe it was just a little joke, hence the winking smilie ;)
Actually, in all seriousness, the majority of warez related threads that we remove almost daily from CG Talk are Max related. I was also a bit appalled to hear how many of my students are using cracked copies of it at home. I'm guessing that it is easy to get hold of :shrug:

One just hopes that one day those people have the decency to shell out the cash for their apps :thumbsup:

Ok...I never go to the Max forum so I really dont know whats going on.....
Thanks for clearing it up for me.:love:

dark_lotus
06-21-2003, 06:21 AM
I was using Bryce (*shudders*), and when it was clear to me that Bryce had many limitations, I went looking for other software.

I chose Lightwave because it seemed to me that it was more an app for the individual, and that the individual could create awesome works of art, wheras the only good art coming from max and maya, was coming from huge studio's and the big reason against maya was the fact that the only really decent stuff I saw was done with Renderman.

I've always liked being able to produce work that I like quickly and easily, Lightwave was a no-crap program.

leigh
06-21-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Cman
About max - yeah, I knew guys with copies of Max before I really knew what 3D was. I think that's why it's so big with so many startup game companies, they all learned 3d with cheap (free) copies of Max!

Well, I think that in the end it works out fine for Discreet, because evidently many of these people do end up buying the software, because Max certainly does sell very well, from what I've heard :)

At any rate, this subject is slightly OT (heheh sorry for starting it) ... keep the stories coming guys! It's cool to read all of this :D

HowardM
06-21-2003, 06:35 AM
:)
The funny thing is I learned LW because I went to a 3DStudio user group meeting!

I was creating 2D graphics for Kiosks in the early 90's when I was handed a copy of 3D Studio 1.0...I hadnt played with 3D since my first taste back in the mid 80's on my Atari ST (http://www.atari.st/) using Cyber Studio! (http://www.asterius.com/atari/history6) (the precursor to 3DStudio!)..so I had heard of a 3DS meeting and went to it to learn more about 3D (almost didnt because it was 45 mins away!) and luckily I met a guy who worked for a small animation studio, who then offered me a job using LW 2.0 on 11 Amigas and a Raptor....and the rest is history...been using LW ever since!
...whew am I glad I didnt stick with 3ds and have to move to MAX...ungh ICONS!

Steve Warner
06-21-2003, 06:35 AM
In the late 80's I bought an Amiga and purchased these:

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Temp/books.jpg

A couple of years later I moved on to Aladdin 4D (http://www.novadesign.com/alinfo.htm). But when I expanded my design business to include video post, I purchased a Toaster and was reunited with Lightwave. I started using it for special effects in my corporate videos. Primarily stills, since those were the days when you needed a single-frame recorder to do any real output, and the deck alone would cost you $5000. :surprised I purchased one of the first digital disk recorders and started doing freelance animation work for TV stations and ad agencies. Through the 90's, I used LightWave on and off as the need arose, but I never really mastered any one facet of the program. Two years ago I downsized my business and took a job for a government contractor. That cut my work day in half, so I siezed the opportunity and used the time to really learn LightWave. I've been addicted ever since. :)

Shade01
06-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Actually, I started using Lightwave because it was the only thing available to me. My buddy had it so I'd go over his house and learn it. Later, during my 3d classes at school, I had Studio Max shoved down my throat. Used it for a couple of years and hated it. As soon as I graduated, I went right back to Lightwave :)

gruvsyco
06-21-2003, 06:48 AM
I had been a fan of 3D for a while and am/was pretty good at AutoCAD. I started looking around at the various apps that were out there and really wanted Maya. At that time it was still in the ludicrous price range for a hobbiest.

Newtek had just annonced Inspire and it was REALLY in my price range. I looked a little more in depth at what had been done with Lightwave and, I think the M&M's really sold me.

Shortly after purchasing Inspire, I started seeing Terrence Walkers stuff popping up on various sites. Being a fan of anime and cel animation... I decided to upgrade to LW when they offered (at the time) a pretty sweet upgrade offer. That was around 6 or 6.5.

I am still struggling with trying to create stuff in LW. I don't think I have yet created a complete anything but, some day you guys will probably get to see something.

Terrence was also responsible for me picking up Aura as well.

CTRL+X
06-21-2003, 06:56 AM
The studio I worked for ( All Max) had been given a marketing job for a M&M candy promotion ( in the sports area), we were working with the M&M people and they promised us we would get the meshes from the the studio that produced the candy commercials that were so popular at the time.. So based on that promise the studio I worked for went out and bought a seat of LW.... we never got those meshes because of an issue of rights and other related bickering, so LW sat there on the shelf in shrink wrap un-used for a long time,,, one day I just asked the company if they wanted to sell it,, they had written it off on taxes as a loss so they gave it to me for 25 dollars and a computer to run it on for free ( Yea!! Im serious).. simple transfere of Licence and here I am an addict.

ub52
06-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Hehe what a great subject. I started out using POVRAY back in the early 90's. No modeler, I would build CSG objects and scenes in a text editor. Boy that was fun. :scream:

As you might guess I was looking for anything which would make life easier. At the time there wasn't much available. MAX was just 3D Studio back then, owned by AutoDesk and ran under DOS. I hated Autocad so wouldn't have considered it even if it had been in my price range.

I think it was on Comuserve that I heard about a program called Imagine which had just recently been ported to the PC from the Amiga platform. I found an bought a copy. Had a great time using it. It to ran under DOS, and was pretty good until they rewrote it for Windows 95, I think. Anyway, bug city, and shi**y support sent me looking elsewhere.

At this time the internet was just starting to becoming popular and available to people who weren't in college or the defense industry. Somewhere online (or maybe it was in 3D Artist mag) I heard of another Amiga app which had just been ported to the PC. The company's name was Newtek and the app Lightwave. They were offering a cross grade to Lightwave for owners of other 3D softs. Imagine was listed and so I set about scraping together every penny I could and bought a copy. That was version 4, I believe.

-ub52

ChrisBasken
06-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Let's see, quick review...

I started doing 3D as a teenager back in the mid-80s, on my big brother's Mac (an original 128k job), with a shareware program called, I think, Easy-3D. It was all tris, shaded polys using dither-patterns, and couldn't actually render anything out. But it had this really advanced thing called a lathe. Pretty cool, I made so many wine glasses I could have started a label.

I moved from that through a number of apps, including Swivel 3D (my first raytracing experience), Pixar's Typography (motion blur!), and Ray Dream Designer (eventually Studio). It was with Ray Dream that I really got some visualization tricks under my belt, although Typography was an interesting challenge because you could only use truetype font letters as primitives.

Around 1996/7 a friend at work showed me Lightwave 4, and boasted that it was the software that Babylon 5 was made with. I wasn't impressed at first; the clunky Amiga interface made Windows 3.1 look slick and the dual-program interface was just too intimidating. Besides, my job didn't require 3D, and I thought that was a cute little phase I was done with.

Some time later he showed me LW 5, and I was significantly more impressed. I never knew where he got it -- it was most likely pirated -- but I didn't ask. Instead, I played with it whenever I got the chance and realized it was about 10 times easier to get the effect I wanted than Ray Dream. Then I got laid off.

At my next job, I found myself doing multimedia work and managed to convince my bosses to spring for LW 5.5. I devoured the manuals, joined the mailing lists, and did my best to go from complete 3D newbie to someone who kinda sorta knew what he was doing. I worked there for about a year, eventually getting [6], then quit to work as a programmer for a software development company. Again, 3D was a thing of the past; I had real work to do.

Then I got laid off.

I've recently begun contracting with the company that bought LW, and found myself falling in love with it all over again. I worked on a 3D project for them this past winter that netted me enough to buy my own personal copy of LW7, and here I am, still trying to grow from that 3D newbie to someone who kinda sorta knows what he's doing...

Miyazaki
06-21-2003, 07:21 AM
During my studies, they offered a 3d design and animation course. It started with C4D and then Max. I have to admit that I never heared of LW at that time. Last year I got demos of different apps and the one I feel most comfortable with is LW. But I´m waiting till LW8 before purchasing a copy.
LW has the best price-performance ratio and for a hobby user like me it offers all tools I need and more.
But I´m no app fetishist. Any programm has its pros and cons and nowadays it`s hard to make a right decision. Damn it! ;)

Rumors
06-21-2003, 07:24 AM
When I was in school we had 1 month of Alias, 2 months of Softimage, and in a video class we had 3 days of lightwave.

I bought the educational liscense of Lightwave 5.6 the next week. It just clicked with me. Loved the interface and METAnurbs.

leigh
06-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Miyazaki
But I'm no app fetishist. Every programms has its pros and cons and nowadays it`s hard to make a right decision. Damn it!

Heheh so true :D
If I had the money, I'd love to actually buy one or two other apps, simply to take advantage of the fact that some programs shine in the areas where LW falls a little. I know that if I was more into character animating, I'd probably desperately want a license of Maya for that, as rigging and animating in LW (in my experience) is much harder than it needs to be :)
Ideally, it's great to have a couple of programs that you can use each for its own particular strengths, so that they each complement one another.

But I personally hate animating - my favourite things in 3D are texturing and modelling, and for me, LW is just sooooo comfortable for that :)
And because of that, LW will always be on my workstation, even if one day in the future, it is also accompanied by one or two other programs.

Even though all artists have their favourite colours to paint with, sometimes it's fun (and lucrative) to paint with other colours too, hehehe... :thumbsup:

Cman
06-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
... I know that if I was more into character animating, I'd probably desperately want a license of Maya for that, as rigging and animating in LW (in my experience) is much harder than it needs to be :)

Oh no! Not another app war thread!! :surprised

leigh
06-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Not an app war, Cman - I'm just too damn lazy to set up rigs in LW :D
Actually, I hate animating anyway :)

At any rate, I think I've made it very clear that I think app VS app stuff is pointless (and usually kinda naive) - it's knowing where different strengths lie that is important, and thereby choosing the app(s) most appropriate for your purposes :D
LW is a great all rounder on the whole, which makes it great to use, and fun too, for me. If I'd never started using LW, I really wonder where I would be now... now THAT is an interesting thought :)

Odrakir
06-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Cool thread!

I got into 3D with 3DS r4 for MS-DOS (I'm not so old though, I'm only 26). The I continued to 3ds Max until version 3.

By that time I used to work in a Architecture Studio with Max and Autocad. That work was really boring so I tryed to get another one.

There was this job opportunity in my town (there ain't much 3d jobs where I live), but I had to learn Lightwave to get in. I've heard of LW before but I always thought his interface was too cold, and didn't have the patience to learn it (doh!).

So I started learning LW to get the job. Finally they switched to Maya and I didn't get the job but the LW germ was insideme by then. I also took a course on Maya, but it was too late for salvation, I kept seeing the things that LW has and Maya doesn't, or how LW is so much easy and user friendly.

Now I've got my own business (since 2 months) and our next purchase (probably next week) it's going to be LW 7.5 (upgraded to 8 when it comes out) :applause: . By the way, we do web pages.

I'm just a Lighwaver, I can't help it. If Lightwave didn't exist we would have to invent it.

Odrakir.

Fasty
06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
I remember seeing a still from an upcoming movie called A Bug's Life. It had so much life to it, much more so than Toy Story, and I wondered how they got all those great organic shapes. That was when I discovered the existence of something called "Nurbs" and this was what sold me on the idea of 3D. I did some research into a program a friend was using called Lightwave and found out that it did, in fact, have nurbs! It also did something I thought was really cool called "celshading". That was all I needed to know, and haven't looked back since!

E_Moelzer
06-21-2003, 09:19 AM
I started with 3DS- Dos version 3.0 with which had been lent to me by a friend of my father, who initially wanted to use it for architectural viz, but later considered not needing it (it just turned out to be not his stuff). A bit later Seaquest played on TV and I first read about LightWave in a magazine. Seaquest looked amazing for the time and I knew I wanted to be able to do the same. Lensflares and other effects were still completely unknown in 3DS3. Well, I still went to school at that time and LW was completely out of reach for me. Later when I came to Graz to study, I had a first look at LW4.0 at a friend from a student- fraternity (I had to give back 3ds, when I went to Graz and I really wanted to get my hands on LW, so this was a nice opportunity). I really got hooked to doing 3d and tried to get to play with LW whenever I could.
LightWave was certainly the best PC- software that was affordable at the time. Everyone else was still on SGIs, or had Softimage running which was way out of reach for a student.
It still took me quite some time until I had the 1000 US$ to buy an educational version of LW 5.6 (yes the educational versions of LW were rather expensive at the time). After a few years I got a job at a local MAX- shop. I was pretty disappointed by MAX, to say the least. Even though LW 5.6 was getting old at that time, it still was way better than MAX 2.5 and later 3.0 that we used there. Nevertheless I learned enough about it to do some professional work and a year later I even became the lead- artist there. However I still used LW for modeling, even though I was not allowed ;)
Well, when I noticed that I could not really climb the chareer- leather any higher and I would not earn more money, nor being able to use LW the way I wanted, I decided to quit and found my own company. A few years later still here and still taming the wave ;)
CU
Elmar

rolhionjs
06-21-2003, 11:37 AM
I started with Lightwave because of the images and animations that were done with it (there was this fantastic animation of bladerunner, and some other great renders) As i started one year and some months ago, i also discovered some artists like Taron, Plecxus, Dave Wilson and more, and i thought their render were really fantastic.
There is also this name : Lightwave... I heard of it on TV in different broadcast productions, or even movies, and this for years, even before i started CG. For me this name is a kinda legend, a real state of spirit, synonym of quality. It's for me love at first sight, and i'd be unable to work without at least one step of a job...

Can't wait to buy next version :) :love:

lightwolf
06-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Well, while we're all here letting our pants down, here is my go:
I got my first computer in '84, a C64, and even got as far as programming a wireframe Enterprise space ship in Simons Basic...
Later I bought an Amiga 500, then switched to an A4000 and used that until '96 (with a whopping 24 Megs of RAM and an 060 accelerator board, talk about flying...). I first started playing around with some of the freeware raytracers, then bought Imagine and was really happy when I got a crack of LW 3.51 (I think) that worked with my DCTV in PAL (Lightwave was dongled with the toaster back then, and the toaster was pretty useless in PAL countries, even though I've heard of people using it with a standards converter, and some even buying it just to get their hands on LW). Well, then I bought 4.0 and did my first paid 3D job with it (which barely paid the package...).
Babylon 5 and Seaquest definetely influenced me to get the package (even though I hardly ever got to see an episode...).
I haven't looked back since ;)
I'll be looking at other packages in the future though, mainly because I need to port some of my plugins...
Cheers,
Mike

mrcz
06-21-2003, 12:23 PM
I started with MicroStation (CAD with good rendering capabality ) in early 90s. From time to time I did visualisations of my architectural projects ( because I worked as an architect).
Since 2000 making visualisations has been my only job, so I have tried to find more powerfull application for that kind of job.
I have been trying MAX and especially Lightwave because of limit of my budget (Maya and Softimage were too expensive). Finally I chose Lightwave for next reasons:

1. First sight love
2. Great workflow (two separated appl.), clean and fast interface
3. Easy to use (after first two horrible weeks :) )
4. Great community and tutorials :thumbsup:
5. Price (half of Max price at the time when I was prepared to buy it. In fact many studios done theirs jobs with AutoCAD+MAX+thirdyparty renderer, those price is many times over lw price)

IMHO lw is worth of money for my kind of job.

Cons.: Lightwave is not running on Linux so I am trying XSI Exp. right now but Softimage it is still somewhat expensive for me.

mr_nebel
06-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Man this makes me feel so new and inexperienced in all this (which i am so thats a good thing right :D).

I started Lightwave last year because it was the 3D program we used on my Multimedia course and I haven't looked at anything else since.
Previously i'd tried Max 3 and i had the Maya PLE but it never really gelled with me as much as LW has.

Hopefully i can scrape enough money together to get 8 later this year (or 7.5 + DF+, but i doubt that because its almost impossible to find a place selling it down here)

carnera
06-21-2003, 01:52 PM
i started using LW back in 1995 when i was working at the pc/console games company "sunflowers interactive". first i was hired as a 2D artist (responsible for interface and background gfx). god! that was a great time ... using deluxepaint on pc ...no hazzle with plugins....renderfarms....just sitting back ... and building pictures pixel by pixel.
my project-leader, who was and i am sure he still is an amiga freak, showed my lw 4.0 and he said that i should follow his advice and learn it. ;). remembering back there was no internet.....so i had no chance to communicate and share ideas with other lw artists. - what a strange time - i was addicted to lw right away. a friend and former co-worker was sitting next to me and he was using power-animator. he showed me incredible- amazing stuff he could do.....so that was also a big motivation for me to show him that a "1000 $ software" was capable doing the same or even better;)
now i am sitting here....managing my own graphic-studio.....and LW is the "weapon" of my choice.....and the next big step is our forthcoming lw-training-dvd coming out soon! ;) (oh..god...i hate doing adverts...but sometimes i cant resist. ;)))

btw...theres another good thing about lw! i need no extra health-insurance, coz lightwaving is my only sport.

bigbackcomics
06-21-2003, 03:00 PM
The multimedia course I took in college taught 3d studio R4 for dos so that's where I started. The course I took gave you the basics in all facets of multimedia, but required you select a major or specialty. So I had to choose between multimedia programming & authoring and 3d. I chose programming and authoring.

I have always been a large comic book fan and decided to try to make my own, but I wanted to add a multimedia element or twist so I decided to make them interactive and entirely on my computer. So I started with the research on "afforable" 3d programs and discovered a feature called cell shading or cartoon rendering.

Inspire 3d was the only afforable program that included a cell shader as part of the package so I bought a used version on ebay, bought a copy of inside lightwave 5 and got started.

It wasn't until I found a tutorial in Keyframe Magazine (issue 26 I think) from Larry Shultz. "The Lost Art of Spline Modelling" that I got hooked on 3d. That little penguin I made from the tutorial wasn't much, but armed with splines I was confident I could create my comic characters in 3d.

I saw an upgrade special and upgraded my Inspire 3d to Lightwave 7.5. (Inspire didn't have back drop images which was very annoying)

I was so impressed with Larry's tutorial that I ordered his professional character series. Now I am going through the training creating my comic characters. Happy, happy. :)

I am still a newbie, but I wouldn't trade Lightwave in for any other package. It still has the best features for the dollar of any 3d app out there bar none.

zuzzabuzz
06-21-2003, 05:21 PM
I started with a pirated version of Sculpt 4D for my Amiga 500 when I was in..9th grade? I then got a pirated version of...turbosilver? But I could never figure it out. I finally got a warezed version of Imagine and started to figure it out.
Once I got out of high school and got a job, I sprung on a chance to finaly BUY software. :thumbsup: I stuck with Imagine until I started to realize that stuff like Radiosity, Area Lights, etc...were all around me. Took a class in Maya, which was great..but I could find stuff in Imagine that even Maya didn't do well with (lights, surfacing, etc).
Anyway, once Lightwave 6 came out, i started drooling...plotting a way to afford it. What hooked me is when they dropped the prices and I could afford the educational version. It's got the texturing stuff I liked in Imagine...Radiosity.. which I was craving for a long time. . .Volumetrics/Hypervoxels... it's all good fun. Plus, real Animation tools ! (compared to Imagine). Pretty happy these days. Just upgraded to LW8 (someday!) and DFX+. fun.:)

iBlue
06-21-2003, 05:27 PM
I was a former strata 3D user and when i tried out lightwave it confused the junk outta me, but i LOVED the text interface, so i actually learned it very very fast. I have some expirence with 3d max and i tell you, i just cant start graphical interfaces like that.. When i want to weld 2 points i just want a button that says "weld" and not have 2 dots flying at eat other turning into 1.

Why would i need to interpret a graphic into a word then just read the word itself?

Plus, i love to model, more then any other process in 3D, rigging, animating and even texturing i really dont like as much as modeling, i just fell in love with it when i 1st started and LW gives me so many options im in heaven whenever i load up modeler. :)

Rei Ayanami
06-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Im ashamed to say that my first copy of LW was warez, because at 15 it is very hard to finance enough to get a full app. I had heard of max before, but i got LW as it was the easyist to get... I found it too hard to start with, so i ended up using bryce for a few years before finally getting it together and getting LW 7, and starting to learn how to use it. I guess i still have a long way to go...

iratethemad
06-21-2003, 06:54 PM
The company i worked for sent me to another company that had Lightwave, Maya, Softimage, and 3DSmax and i found Lightwave the easy one to use and the renders were awesome.

milqman
06-21-2003, 07:09 PM
I started with Rhino3d years ago. I didn't like it much, nothing made sense to me even after months.

I then discovered Blender. I got along pretty well with it and even made a pretty crappy but fun short (45 second) film with it.

However, things began to bother me about it, such as the lack of raytracing at the time, and the inability to select and manipulate polygon faces (its STILL just vertices.)

So I bought Animation Master 2002, but it crashed ALL THE TIME. So I sold it and began looking for a professional 3d app.

JourneyEd had a sale for Lightwave 7.5 for $350, and I'd heard of Lightwave much before, and after looking at the gallery and such, reading reviews about it and whatnot, decided to dive in.

It's quite easy moving from Blender to Lightwave, I tell you.

roguenroll
06-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I actually ended up with Lightwave after a fairly exhaustive search and research period, all while knowing absolutely nothing about 3d, just that I loved it and I needed to do this.

So the search started, To make a long story short, the two main things that I think I was looking for was 1ST, output, does the application perform, does it look real, does it look good, etc.

2nd, is it realively in the top tier of 3d applications, while just about all are good, can I really end up in a career position, with
Bryce, or similar. No

So from a group incl. Maya, XSI, MAX,Houdini,Cinema, Universe,
I picked LW.

I think my choice was solid, and from a point of realism and quality, I have absolutely NO regrets.

At this point, I'm only learning Maya on the side, because it has such an Industry position. But a little time and some tweaks I
have no doubt that Lightwave could take it.

Rogue

Triple G
06-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Hehe...interesting thread, Leigh.

Let's see...I bought my first computer in '96, I think it was...a Macintosh Performa 6360, with 16MB of RAM and a 166MHz processor...woohoo! (At the ripe old age of 21, I decided I had better jump on the technology bandwagon before it left me in the dust!) I was going to school for graphic design at the time, and the only courses being offered were for Photoshop, with a little bit of Illustrator and Quark mixed in. Everyone recommended that I get a Mac for this type of work, so that's what I did.

It was fine for a while, and I spent a couple of years after graduation working for IBM, designing presentation graphics (bar charts, pie graphs...not incredibly creative stuff, but it paid the bills). A co-worker showed me some stuff that he had done with Poser and Bryce, and I was so impressed that I ran out and bought copies of both of them for myself! It wasn't long before I felt the need to do something more than goofy-looking people standing on mountains and chrome spheres floating over bodies of water, though. I saw an issue of MacAddict, I think it was, which had an offer where you got a free demo of Cinema 4D GO, and could upgrade to the full version for $50. It was a no-brainer for me.

I spent a few months with it, and became totally and irrevokably hooked on 3D. I decided that this was what I really wanted to do for a living...so I decided that I wanted an app with more...more power, more control, more everything! Since I was on a Mac, my choices were pretty limited at the time. It was either upgrading to the "pro" version of C4D (XL 5.0 at the time), a program called Strata Studio Pro, or Lightwave.

After doing some research, it seemed like Lightwave had by far the largest userbase of any of these apps, and more importantly, it had a very large professional userbase...so I knew that the knowledge I gained by learning it could someday (hopefully) land me a job. So I figured out that the cheapest (legitimate) way for me to get my hands on Lightwave was to do a competitive upgrade from C4D GO to Strata Studio Pro for around $700. I then used a competitive upgrade on that to get Lightwave for $1100. (The full version was still selling for around $2500 at the time.)

So, while I was still working doing page layouts and print graphics, I spent every waking moment of my free time teaching myself Lightwave. I went online, downloaded tutorials, joined discussion groups, bought books, magazines...anything I could get my hands on that would further my knowledge of 3d. After about a year or so, I quit my job and decided to really give it a go...I ran out of money, couldn't pay my rent, and wound up moving back in with my parents (quite the humbling experience). But they were supportive of me following my dreams, and after a few more months, I was hired by a studio near me to do medical animations using Lightwave. I was so happy, I thought my face was going to split open from ear to ear, I was smiling so much. :D

I learned a great deal from working there, and am continuing to learn as much as I can whenever I can. I eventually got laid off, and started working freelance about a year ago. With the industry in the shape that it's in, it's tough finding work...but hey, I still love what I do. :love: Lightwave suits me well because...well...it's what I learned with. I've tried Maya a little bit, and have just recently started using Motionbuilder to help compensate for some of LW's shortcomings with character animation, but I still think LW is the best choice for the independent freelancer. It's inexpensive, powerful, and fast. :)

p.s. Wow...guess I got a little carried away there....didn't realize this was such a long post...:rolleyes:

FB_Turbine
06-21-2003, 09:42 PM
I saw Deluxe Paint back in the late 80's and bought an Amiga 2000. I later added a DCTV unit and played around with cover CD versions of Imagine 3D and a few other apps. When I went to college I bought a refurbished Toaster and found LW 3.0.

Half way through college I got hired by a broadcast company to help manage their Amiga render farm and started really learning from the animators there. I eventually got to do some commercial jobs and have used LW since. My college was a hardcore paint/sculpture school that seemed to either hate or fear computers. Design got 3 labs of around 10 and Photo got lucky and could share one of them. I ran into a recent alumni and she told me the school has 2 additive 3d plotters now. Those lucky #@#!!.

Stone
06-21-2003, 09:44 PM
started out with Imagine when Amiga Format was giving it away on a coverdisc. Imagine was previously known as Silver then TurboSilver before it became Imagine3d. unlike Lightwaves dual screen aproach it actually had 4 different screens one had to switch between when modeling. :surprised

CU Amiga Magazine later gave out cinema4d v4 on a cover cd and i switched immediatly since it was fast, well structered and easy to understand.

both these magazines was bringing reviews of 2 other top products of that time, Lightwave v4 and v5 and Real3d v2 and v3. i remember how i so wanted Lightwave.

i tried both the products. Real3d is now known as Realsoft3d and sadly more or less overlooked in todays marked, but it was an amazingly powerful, complex and flexible program - to complex for the young me.

Lightwave 5 never really ran on my slow computer and would crash when inserting a point - still it stood out to me as being the top product which i so wanted.

i switched from my Amiga in 2001, got me a pc and tried out Max4. that was such a pain, difficult to use, clutered with a terrible interface, ram and cpu extensive, slow at starting...

finally i got a hold of Lightwave7. i was so amazed, it really was everything i had imagined it would be. powerful and so extremly intuitive and easy to use.

ive got no idea why, but Lightwave have always felt 'right' for me and it have yet to disapoint me.

/stone

Petrik
06-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by mr_nebel
Man this makes me feel so new and inexperienced in all this (which i am so thats a good thing right :D).

I started Lightwave last year because it was the 3D program we used on my Multimedia course and I haven't looked at anything else since.
Previously i'd tried Max 3 and i had the Maya PLE but it never really gelled with me as much as LW has.

Hopefully i can scrape enough money together to get 8 later this year (or 7.5 + DF+, but i doubt that because its almost impossible to find a place selling it down here)

Yes where do you buy Lightwave in New Zealand? The supossed dealer here doesn't want to answer their emails. NEWTEK if you need a sales person in NZ let me know.

I was mucking around with Wings 3D and also AMAPI from a magazine cover until I bumped into someone on ICQ who got me onto Lightwave. I did a bit of research and found out there was a user group here. I went along to the meeting which is held on the University campus and found out the did a course that used Lightwave. Tossed in my job and now doing a year of study in a multimedia course.

twidup
06-22-2003, 12:16 AM
lets see, I started off learning LW on v4.0 on the amiga. I happened to live aobut a 2 hour drive from Topeka and a uni up there had set up a small amiga lab thanks to NewTek, they donated them. My brother was teaching at the uni and told me about it, so I got into the first weekend seminars that they offered. Enjoyed it a lot so yeah, I got a crack and ran it on my computer.
Shortly after that I got married and moved to Topeka to go to the Uni, art major. and I started to do freelance for a couple video production companies in town.

I think the main reason I got into LW was that was what I learned on. I looked at 3ds Max 1.0 and didnt care for it, and I checked out others but never really liked them. I still use LW to model in and to render with

-Todd

kevman3d
06-22-2003, 12:18 AM
As for NZ purchases, well, I would say your best bet would be to contact newmagic.com.au directly in Aussie since all NZ dealers (all 1 or 2 of them) just go straight to there anyway for all NewTek Products. I would voice your concerns to them, as they need to know how the service is going for this part of the pacific as much as they need to know about the Aussie market.

As for LightWave...

I started using LW because I was a Babylon 5 SFX addict, and those space sequences were so juicy I just had to get this software!

Once I had it - It ran better, and rendering looked nicer on my 486-dx4 then 3DSMax did on the local Polytech's P133's (where I was doing an Autodesk course on it)

So I had to say I was impressed in many ways with LW right from the start!

Over the years you either grow to love it, or you move onto another package. Me, its one of those 'passions' that is part of every day I spend behind my PC!

As for the 'what is it?' - I strongly agree with Leigh - Its the same here in NZ - LightWave is the 'what?' of 3D applications - The LWUG I started originally got 1-2 people at meetings 3-4 years ago (which made it a hard struggle to keep motivated to run it every month) - Now its like 16+ people but only because a few more schools have started to teach with it. So a majority of users at meetings seem to be students.

FACT: More people now seem to know what LightWave is then what Babylon 5 was! :)

Interestingly, the only people who seem to badmouth it in NZ here are Max users (most of which seem to gather their knowledge of LW from Max forums as far as I've been able to ascertain!)

Maya users don't tend to be as negative! :)

jbw
06-22-2003, 12:45 AM
I'd been using MAX at work for 3 years and had decided that maybe I should look else where for answers to ALL those porblems! I spent some time looking - Maya always looked like it would solve everything but cash is never that easy to come by. I started to look around and I'd always kept an eye out for LW. Little did I know what an amazing Modeller it actually was. I remember the the first time I sat down with LW and thought bu**er I'll never understand this thing! Gave it a couple of months and OMG it blew my mind. Those semi-decent models I'd built in MAX suddenly became so much easier to build in LW. Now I can model stuff in Lw much more easily. I soon realised that MAX is more a numbers kind of modeller whilst LW feels much more hands on! Having made the transition at home, work weren't so understanding and I still use MAX today... but when ever I get the chance I'll build a model in LW - God it takes half the time!

ta,
jbw

mr_nebel
06-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Just because I could i made a quick search using KazaaLite for Lightwave, Max and Maya.
The results are about what i expected.
Lightwave - 31 results
3D Max - 114 results
Maya - 87 results

Seems what Leigh was saying is about right.

*disclaimer: in no way do I support the pirating of any of the above softwares, this was a purely matter of interest search*

twidup
06-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Kevman, interesting.
I have mentioned it at worka couple times and actually got comments about "its still around? " from people. Most seem to think that it was/is a pretty robust package, just lacks access to core functionality so they could develop their own tools. Of course, most only know of 5.6..not many knew that they were at 7.5

so, when is the next kiwaver meeting?

webfox
06-22-2003, 02:24 AM
I bought Lightwave because I liked the areas it had been used in at the time (M&Ms, Star Trek, etc...) Between a seat of LW, an expensive, screaming (at the time) video card, and a new foray into the PC world fit nicely onto my new credit card.

I liked what was done with LW and the price was the only one I could afford at the time, though MAX didn't have a decent render engine at the time, either, and Maya was a ridiculous fantasy to purchase.

Lightwave has earned its keep many times over in my studio and the really big jobs I do are all done on LW, though I still do hand illustration and photoshop work without it from time to time.

rnb2
06-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Geez, where to start?

Well, I was about 18 months out of college when I started working at a place called Soft Warehouse, the company which eventually went public as CompUSA. One of our demo machines suddenly had a really cool rendered CompUSA logo image one day, and I asked my co-worker how it was done. He said that he rendered it on an Amiga with a package called Sculpt (last version was called Sculpt/Animate4D, IIRC), but he recommended that I check out the Video Toaster, which had just been released (this was sometime in '91). I did a lot of reading, and my dad agreed to lend me the money (about $4kUS, I think) to purchase a 33MHz Amiga 2000 and the Toaster.

Needless to say, doing 3D back in those days was a bit primitive compared to the tools we have now - check out this page http://mywebpages.comcast.net/erniew/cghist.html to get some idea what the interfaces looked like back then. Honestly, as much as I wanted to do *something*, I was nowhere near being able to actually pull it off from an artistic standpoint. Mind you, that didn't stop me from spending a fortune on Amiga 3D packages (Imagine 2.0, Aladdin 4D, Real3D) trying to find one that "felt right", and failing. At one point, I even sold my Toaster system, and was trying to use Real3D on a 50MHz Amiga 1200.

Eventually, Newtek released a version of Lightwave that didn't require the Toaster (v3.5), along with the news that they were porting LW to Windows and would do a "cross-grade" for $150US. I decided to re-join the Lightwave fold, and bought a P100 Windows box in April of '95 (it even had an UNBELIEVABLE 48MB of RAM, with a HUMONGOUS 1.2GB hard drive!).

I've spent the last 8 years moving around the US a bit, getting into and out of bad relationships, trying to find my way in the world. I'm finally in a good place, settled into who I am and what I want to accomplish, and, most importantly, finally have a suite of tools that lets me get my ideas out of my head and onto the screen. Lightwave (v6.5 at the moment, still pondering the upgrade) is still in the mix, but I plan to animate primarily in messiah:studio, and most of my modeling and texturing will be done in ZBrush (a really remarkable piece of software that everyone should just go buy now!). Honestly, modeling was always the biggest hurdle for me - always just hated it - and ZBrush is the first program that's made it both fun and productive.

So, my LW history is colorful and long, and I've met some interesting people along the way - guys that were in my users' group back in Detroit have worked on Babylon 5, Star Trek, Firefly, even the M&Ms commercials somebody else mentioned, but that wasn't the route I wanted to take. I still want to create something of my own and put it out there for everyone to see, and I do believe, for the first time in my over 10 years of messing around with this stuff, that I'm really capable of making it happen.

Chewey
06-22-2003, 03:58 AM
I purchased Lightwave 5.5 due to it's price point at the time I was looking to escape/upgrade from Strata's product. It was a lot less expensive than SoftImage, and the Alias Wavefront product. And the pricier 3dsMax render quality didn't seem quite as nice as Lightwave's.

:thumbsup:

Petrik
06-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by twidup
so, when is the next kiwaver meeting?

Just had one this Wednesday gone.

CourtJester
06-22-2003, 05:36 AM
I followed the path many here did... started out with Turbo Silver on the Amiga when the concept of ray tracing in a computer promised to eliminate the difficulties I faced in rendering out the science fiction scenes in my head by means of 35mm photography....

Then I switched over to Imagine, as Turbo Silver's heir. I remember hearing about a cool tool called Forge, which was a program to build procedural textures for Imagine, written by some guy in California... you might remember him, his name was Steve Wor-something...

Then my roommate, who was a salescritter for a Sony professional video dealership in Toronto, found a Toaster that was languishing in their inventory. So, he managed to borrow it for a time (the bosses didn't mind, as they didn't expect to sell it), and it made its way into my Amiga 2000. With the Toaster in it, I had the smokingest Amiga in town: a new 28MHz 68040 Zeus with 40MB RAM, 400MB HD, a prototype Picasso board and a deinterlacer that allowed me to run the Toaster on a VGA monitor (the Toaster 4000 users couldn't do that!)

Before long, I started playing with LightWave, which was version 3, and Imagine soon faded from the radar. What got me was this object of the Enterprise which my roommate downloaded for me to test. It was very well textured, with bump and spec maps as well as the usual color... and I was hooked.

Mangled Poly
06-22-2003, 05:37 AM
only program my school taught really... *points at alaklij*

Howzat
06-22-2003, 11:46 AM
I had a strange path to purchasing Lightwave... I was in the air force at the australian defence force academy, doing aeronautical engineering on the way to becoming a navigator until I broke my neck while at home on holidays in early 2000. I spent most of that year in rehab before coming home and eventually starting another degree by distance. I was spending heaps of time on the Internet, because I couldn't do much else, and discovered the world of 3D programs, which I had always had an interest in, and found that Lightwave had the most tutorials out there and a great community. Once I found out it had been used for Babylon 5 I was sold! (Looks like it was the same for a lot of us :)) Only problem now is Lightwave and places like CG talk and Lightwave group are too fun and Uni is taking a back seat :D

trygve
06-22-2003, 01:02 PM
I bought Lightwave 3d two weeks ago, the summer competitive special for 995 ( 699).

I used a lot of time finding a 3d program that would work for me, and Lightwave was an easy solution.

It's very cheap, it got the most features out of the box, it's easy to learn and use, and got a lot of available learning material and nice and friendly user groups on the Internet.

The latter is very important to me - to get inspiration and learn from others.

I have read this forum for several month, but this is my first post - hope I will be back with more posts when I have something to show or ask about.

I think Maxon Cinema 4d also is nice, but it would be much more expensive with the same features.

Dreamwave
06-22-2003, 01:29 PM
interesting thread :thumbsup:

here's my story:

I'm in a project for school and I decided to give 3D modeling a go (after I saw www.mgfx.net, a friend of mine from another forum, unfortunatly he's busy writing a book so he doesn't update very often) note: I didn't know how hard and time-consuming it was when I decided it but I really wanted to try it. I talked to the systemadministrator at our school and because I saw Erik's work on MGFX, I asked about Lightwave, he had an illegal version of Lightwave 5.0 :shame: but he really wanted to get into it again so we bought Lightwave 7 (thanx to the school for the money)

I heard about Max before but for some reason I didn't like the interface, I really like the thing that LW has the modeling and animating part split up.

aurora
06-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Back in the old days (as far as CG is concerned) there was POV which I used ALOT, Max, Renderman and LW. Renderman was just trying to get itself going so it was not that big of a thing but LW was used for movies, commercials and oh how I wanted to use something like that. No more hand coding with POV. Finally real power and real fast. The temptation was irresistable. I got hooked in seconds and my love for it has kept me a devoted man. Sure I have and occasionally play with Maya but I have not and don't plan on upgrading past Maya. LW has been is and I dare say will continue to be my fav. As someone once told me theres is nothing an experienced LW user can not do better and faster then any other app out there. Its all in the desire to make dreams!

sqitso
06-22-2003, 07:11 PM
I got hooked on LW when babalon 5 came out. Was never very good at it, but I heard that 3D Studio was very hard to use and Maya wasn't nearly as known. When I found out how nice the cell shader was in LW, I stuck with it. unfortunatley I had to learn Maya which really makes me suck at LW now. :(

Petrik
06-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by kevman3d
As for NZ purchases, well, I would say your best bet would be to contact newmagic.com.au directly in Aussie since all NZ dealers (all 1 or 2 of them) just go straight to there anyway for all NewTek Products. I would voice your concerns to them, as they need to know how the service is going for this part of the pacific as much as they need to know about the Aussie market.

Thanks for that Kevin. All sorted.

Monty
06-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Started using LW with version 4, after it first came out on the Mac! Wow, looking at the box, manuals brings back tears in my eyes...:applause:

kukukiki74
06-23-2003, 06:12 AM
I started using it because I bought a student license of Inspire 3D. I loved it! That is where it all started.:bounce:

fig
06-23-2003, 07:02 AM
i used max for two semesters or so at college, version 1.2 which had its own interesting quirks :) a buddy of mine was more heavily into 3d than i was at the time (he's now a lead compositor at digital domain) and wanted me to check out lightwave. i got a very cheap copy of 5.5 and started playing and took to it much more than max. i had to sell it off to some bills a while back and now i'm wanting to buy another copy of 5.6 to get back into 3d. big vicious circle...

chris

kevman3d
06-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Curious why you would want to buy a copy of 5.6 since LW is now at 7.5 (and climbing)

Nostalgia? ;)

BiTMAP
06-23-2003, 09:40 AM
I plan to buy Litewave cuase its cheap unless i can be motivated to penny pinch till i can afford XSI (which would be about 3 times as long ! :O!)

yeah I used lightwave way back in the day (i don't even remeber when that was) and made everything with primitves, and i remeber trying to make animations without keyframing or boneing my models... lol that robot that came with it lol man that was some time ago, I don't even remeber how i got it, i'm sure it wasn't legal cuase it aws like 6 years ago and yeah.. shucks *sigh*

BeeVee
06-23-2003, 09:50 AM
My history with LightWave starts with the Video Toaster. Since I was based in the UK, we couldn't very well take the Video Toaster on board although we had a very good relationship with NewTek (I used to work for HB Marketing and we sold hundreds of DigiView Golds and DigiPaint 3s every month). It also meant that I had Sculpt 4D to play with any time I liked and my very own copy of Imagine 2.0 (with the gold-coloured box). Steve Worley's book for it was called Understanding Imagine 2 and while his intent was good, I don't think it really lived up to the title of the book completely! I also bought Forge, like another user on here - G2 really reminds me of it in the way that the rendered image "rezzes" into view...

Anyway, we had a couple of Video Toasters and we spent some time trying to offer a solution to the PAL market, including TBCs and transcoders with Toasters in built-up B2000s, but the quality was rubbish and the cost of the hardware combined meant that most of the innovation of the Toaster was lost in the cost.

Later on, working at MicroPACE, when they had a UK arm, I bought my first copy of LightWave attached to the dongle made by Industrial Might and Logic and I've been using it ever since, rendering covers for Amiga Computing, Amiga Format and even N64 magazine! :)

Now, I work for NewTek Europe doing tech support among other things, so unlike the rest of you I have some idea of what's going in 8! Mwahahahahahaha!

B

leigh
06-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BeeVee
Now, I work for NewTek Europe doing tech support among other things, so unlike the rest of you I have some idea of what's going in 8! Mwahahahahahaha!

Oooooh rub it in why don't you? grrrrrr :annoyed:

Remi
06-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey Leigh...I started using lightwave because I was required to know it for my current job....thank god for that though...I found my previous programs that I used...won't mention the name....very clunky and slow compared to it....I hope I don't have to switch when I go to another studio...but I will do what I have to...must say though...I can't say as many bad things about LW as I can good...love it really....i'm addicted.:)

fig
06-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by kevman3d
Curious why you would want to buy a copy of 5.6 since LW is now at 7.5 (and climbing)

Nostalgia? ;)

hehe...more because i can find it for under $300 on eBay then upgrade later on when i need to :)

chris

ChrisBasken
06-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
yeah I used lightwave way back in the day (i don't even remeber when that was) and made everything with primitves, and i remeber trying to make animations without keyframing or boneing my models...

How do you animate without keyframes?

PolyMangler
06-23-2003, 08:16 PM
i started out in 3d using strata studio pro (ick) at my vo-tec school. the next year we got softimage(yay) and i obsesivly learned, i'd stay as long as the teacher was there.

after that it was pretty decided i was going to do 3d in my mind so i shuttled off to the Art Institute of Dallas and learned 3dmax (eh) after that i had to move back to arkansas cause work was rather sparse. I interviewed a local 3d artist and he showed me LW and explained to me that because of price and all that, in this market, it'd be better for me to have LW on my resume. soo i bought the dan alban bible came out. The first month i hated LW but solidered on and after 3 months i stopped opening 3d max to "play" and now a year later LW is the only 3d package on my computer (aside from a demo of maya), i work as a freelance artist and i couldn't be happier about it :)

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ChrisBasken
How do you animate without keyframes?

you cant, i wasd rendering single stills... it was pretty nasty :D lol. I still actualy havn't taken the time to figure out how to do proper animation :S i have been doing alot of modeling though, got away from primitives!

Animator395
06-24-2003, 01:03 AM
In highschool I was all set to go off and learn traditional (meaning hand drawn) animation and go work for Disney or something, but when I was looking at schools I ran across one that was doing 3D animation a very small program, but the stuff on the reel I was shown, all done in lightwave changed my life. From that moment on I was pure Lightwave 3D.

studiomiguel
07-18-2003, 04:34 PM
We were using Max at school and I needed to learn an app that I could run on my Mac. I found an old copy of Ltw 5 on a pc being used as a door stop at school. When I discovered that it was available for my home platform.. I was sold. This after trying aElectric Image and being a little dissappointed.

After I realized how much more intuitive everything was.. boy was I glad I'd made the switch. Max was never a fit for me.

M

mattc
07-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Why LW? Easy. Cause it's fun and the UI doesn't get in the way too much.

Regards
Matt.

ChrisBasken
07-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
you cant, i wasd rendering single stills... it was pretty nasty :D lol. I still actualy havn't taken the time to figure out how to do proper animation :S i have been doing alot of modeling though, got away from primitives!
Actually, now that you mention it, someone came out with a Ray Dream Designer solution that sounds similar. RDD had no animation capability until Ray Dream Studio came out in, what, 1994? So you would make a scene and save the file as filename0001, then make position-only changes and re-save with a different name (filename0030, or whatever). Wash, rinse, repeat, saving up multiple RDD files; basically build a set of keyframes.

Then this standalone app would run through them and batch render, interpolating based on filename. So it would render 0001, interpolate and render 0002 through 0029, render 0030, then keep going. It would save out a bunch of stills, which you'd then need to string together (I think the app had a tool for that).

It wasn't a bad solution for the time, but there was virtually no way to preview your animation, and if you accidentally passed someone's elbow through the tabletop you wouldn't know until after the complete render. Also, it was all linear motion. :banghead:

I wonder if I still have any of those...

colkai
07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Why?
Babylon5 - nuff said!

Seriously, then when I found a 2nd hand copy going for a couple of hundred dollars - well, I just *had* to.

Love it, purely hobby, but damn fun - good product, good guys at NT and sometimes - a good community.

Wave on! :wavey:

manfriday
07-18-2003, 07:43 PM
hmm I started out in 3d with a not so legit version of max.. trying ot make models for Unreal tournament I think..
Then I started getting more into 3d as a whole rather than just low-poly stuff so I figured I should buy a legit copy of something.
I bought truespace cause it was what I could afford.
Then I came to my senses and decided I wanted to buy something good.
I talked to the folks at discreet a bit about licensing 3d studio max but I found the person I spoke with to be rather unpleasant.
Then I looked at LIghtwave's message board and saw the cool lightwave vs. notepad thread and figured the userbase was as freaky as I was.
So I called newtek and talked to them about a copy of LW 7.. the dude on the phone was a very cool fellow, answered all my questions and they didnt have a sucky licensing policy like discreet does.. So I bought a copy and I have been living happily ever after.

intvSlams
07-18-2003, 10:12 PM
The new openGL preview in 5.0 sold me.

CG.p
07-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Because Byte-by-Byte turned into a mac-only freakshow and turbo silver/imagine's workflow and UI sucked.

New
07-19-2003, 12:15 AM
I saw it easyer than max.

allenatl
07-19-2003, 01:26 AM
I bought Inspire 3d as an affordable way to start doing 3d.
Initially I wasn't interested in animation, just the modeling
for creating 2d artwork. Later I saw an upgrade offer for
Lightwave but what really got my attention
was the ability to use the dongle and software on both the
Mac and PC. I use both, so for me that was as good as a two for one deal.

Ibanezhead
07-19-2003, 02:03 AM
I really had no clue which programs did what before I started (about 9 months ago--no pro here). I'd heard of Maya, but that's it. I was sniffing around in the class bulletin at UGA when I was a freshman and saw there was a 3d animation class, so I made sure to get all the pre-reqs out of the way my freshman year. I've had 2 semesters of LW animation now. They're thinking of starting some Maya classes next year, but for now it's primarily LW. Got it for that, and I'll probably stick with it. I may not be that good, but I'm a big fan.

The University of Georgia teaches Lightwave?

Vic

MadMax
07-19-2003, 03:22 AM
Can't believe I missed this.

I got Lightwave because it was the only thing available.

I was using Videoscape 3D and Modeler 3D for Amiga, and I got a huge discount on the Toaster when it came out.

Willax
07-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Well, I was first exposed to LW when it was part of the Video Toaster system many moons ago. I thought, wow, this is pretty cool. I had a partnership in a video production company, but my real interest was in making animation stuff. So I played around with it and created a space invaders type animation composited over video footage using the Toaster. Even though I had to leave my system rendering for days to get any idea what I was gonna get, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot then. Well then life got real busy, the kids started growing up and my time with 3D was scarce. I sold the Toaster system and dabbled a bit with another program called Imagine. When LW was released as a separate program, it was too pricey for my limited budget to allow purchase, so I forgot about it until last year when I became a student and was able to get the student version. How exciting to see all the changes that have taken place over the years. I still suck at modeling and animating, but that's okay, I'm having fun doing it once again. Lightwave is sure a great program and very intuitive for us dense ones, hehe.

lone
07-19-2003, 05:52 PM
i had wanted to get into 3D for a long time, but the hardware/software prices were out of reach. when they finally dropped to within reason, i did what ROGUENROLL did (research), and ended up going with LIGHTWAVE for these reasons:

it was the only one i'd actually heard of
it was the only one i could afford that didn't require a network OS
it was the only one that did almost everything out of the box
the price had just dropped almost a grand!

Keiyentai
07-20-2003, 01:58 PM
wow I feel like such a newb. Kind of shocked too that peeps talked about warez and no warning about getting banned wow. Anywho my first interduction of 3D was a program for making houses. PLayed with it LOVED IT. THen I tryed Rhino in the 9th grade and really dident get in to 3d untill I was in an IRC room where you vould get MP3s and so on and I heard people talk about 3D Studio Max and wondering what the heck it was. They told me and I thought "Maybe I should download it and see ect ect" then I noticed it was like 100+MB for Revision 3 I think. Then shortly after I got a cracked version of Bryce4 and Poser 4...Yes poser *shutters* THen I went to Bryce 5. Finaly I got a cracked version of LightWave7 from a friend :blush: (Before you reem me let me explain. I'm young can't afford to buy it at the moment but when I get the money I'm buying a LEGIT copy of LightWave8) At first I couldent figure LW out so I moved on and tryed 3DSM 4. That was a sheer nightmare. Then I tried Blender and couldent figure out a thing. SO I whent back to LightWave talked to some people and looked at some tuts. Now I love it. Still learning and wanting to learn more and more. I tryed Maya 4.0 as well but it was just to crouded. Was like Max almost. I'm sticking with LW and when I can get the money I'm geting 8. So please dont ban me or anything Least I'm being honest. DOes that give me points?

BTW can anyone give me a link for char rigging? I cant find any that work :hmm:

manfriday
07-20-2003, 02:57 PM
you are a student.. why dont you just buy an educational version of LW? It wouldnt take long to save up for that.. it's only $395

davemcd
07-22-2003, 06:00 AM
hmm.... used autocad on work experience at the watercorporation when i was about 15, 386 pc's were spanking new and really fast :eek: learnt bits of that fiarly quickly, tried all other kinds of very antiquated 3D apps that i got nowhere with.

Finished Highschool and studied 'Multimedia' when it was pretty much a time when 90% of people had no idea what multimedia was, and the internet was still just bulletin boards..... The only reason i did the course was the 2D animation and 3D units... the extent of which was learning how to make a logo in Infini-D on the Mac (primitives, we've got your primitives). Spent all my free time and holidays choking the computer labs with 20 hour renders for 8 secs of 320 * 240 animation.

Tried to learn 3DS (dos) got nowhere (UV's? what are they?), got hold of a copy of lightwave v 3 or maybe 4 learnt it a bit (struggled... it was pirated :blush:, no manual, no internet to find tutes) finally got a bit of a hang of it. Then got hold of 3DS max v 1.1 and found it easier. Became a bit of a Max guy. Got a job a few years later in Games, worked on Max up till version 4.

The company i worked for went bust... started up my own business will a colleague who was a real LW jet. Recently updated his version of LW to 8 with digital fusion, so i bought a 2nd hand copy of LW 6.5 and updated it to 8 (well... 7.5 until 8 comes out)

Now i've been struggling along for the last few weeks getting familiar again with LW and feeling like a cranky old man who's too set in his ways ;)

But i am liking LW again even though i think it does some things quite weirdly and others not well at all, the things it does really well are very nice and tend to be things that i havent really seen in other packages.... (just wish it had edge modelling built in properly)

Hoorah!

DaveMcD

Keiyentai
07-22-2003, 09:51 AM
:( I;m not a student anymore :shrug:

freedik
07-22-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm so embarassed, I fell for Newteks marketing tricks. I didn't know almost anything about 3d graphics at the time, I had only tried a little with Microstation. So only thing to decide upon were manufacturers websites.

Newtek had a long and impressive list of works created with help of LW, while 3ds and Maya had nothing impressive. I know, that's a silly reason to choose a software but I that was all I got.

Now, after being on different forums for a while I would say that there are far more impressive works created with MAX than with LW or Maya. Maybe that's because russians and koreans tend to use MAX :)

Still, I have no regrets (I have tried MAX too now).

peterpro
07-22-2003, 12:45 PM
For me it started in 1989.
lightwave would be actually be something called videoscape.
allen hastings would be at an amiga expo talking to someguys from a company called newtek. (he was showing a monkey mandril maze, a flyby of a frieghter on water, and a voyager space probe.

I asked him what to do to get into doing animations like that
his reply
learn C++ and write graphics programs.. =)

I think i was 21 at the time. hehe.

a year or two later lw v1 came with a video toaster. and some famous music rock star did the coolest video with it that at the time would of required a bunch of supercomputers to do. Todd somebody =) you all know who i'm talking about did it with 20 amiga 2000's. Really it was guys like him who really showed that it could be done, and not with supercomputers.

at amiga expos, they showed his video and said
this was done on the amiga with a program bundled with the toaster.

well.. an amiga cost about 1000 bucks, a whole lot less than a super computer cost.

If he could do that.. why couldn't we do that.

so we did. i got an amiga 500, and played with sculpt 3d until i saved enough money for a 2000 and toaster.
the rest is a whole lot of lightwaving.

and now we get lw8 they are still here, and still kicking butt.

it gets the job done fast..

Mike Pauza
07-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Awesome Thread Leigh!!!

Way back in 87 (you do the math) I entered college to study computational physics (instead of art...I know I'm a freak). I fell in love with dynamics simulation and scientific visualization, so after graduation I moved to Champaign Illinois (corn country) to work at the National Supercomputer center here in town.

I started having this deep yearning to do something artistic with my dynamics. I was fairly familiar with Wavefront because I'd used some of their visualization software at work, but as I started really looking at the different apps, I realized that LightWave was the only professional package I could personally afford. I hesitantly purchased a copy hoping it wouldn't be "too bad", and was simply blown away! Now, two years later I think I finally have "just creating stuff" out of my system and hope to focus on LightWave dynamics exclusively.

Thank you NewTek. And, thank you Leigh...this is a cool thread.

-Mike

Facial Deluxe
07-22-2003, 05:40 PM
your bridge stuff is surely Art :)

JMulder
07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
In all honesty, I got into LW because I got sick of the politcal situation at Hash. Kind of a 'do not taunt Happy Fun Ball' situation where you couldn't mention a program crash on their mailing list.

I looked at Maya, LW, and XSI before going with LW for the best built-in renderer and feature set for the best price point.

dragonfollower
07-22-2003, 06:49 PM
It's kind of funny, I got into LW because I wanted to do CHARACTER ANIMATION.

That was in '97. I was fascinated by the whole digital video/3D animation area and saw it as a way for me to tell stories. I was looking for a way to bring 3D characters to life. I had some previous experience with Truespace (yuck) but that was it. LW was the only program in my price range.

I bought an educational version of it and was actually quite dissapointed by it. 5.6 wasn't at all good for character animation. Frustrated, I later ('98) found out about Animation Master and was able to tell some pretty cool character animated stories with it. But I've always kept one foot in the LW door.

Well, I finished school late last year and the time came to find a job. To my dismay, many of the companies in my area required one to know a professional app of some kind. I also was getting frustrated by AM's creasing and modeling limitations.

I again looked into LW. The progam had changed for the better since '97. But the character tools were still not quite there for me. However, everything else was top-notch and so I bought Messiah:Animate for the character stuff and LW for everything else. I'm happy with this current setup, (though I do miss AM's "pose" capabilities). I'm excited for what NT has in store for LW 8!

-Brian

lafnjack
07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
I'd always been interested in art, but hated the tedium of shading and was not too good with colors/shadows. Given that I was self-taught, it was all just for fun, so I saw no major need to learn the stuff I didn't enjoy.

Eventually I picked up Bryce (and later Poser), and did pretty good. Did a couple of book covers for some people and turned on a few people to it. But it couldn't model organics (and that's what I wanted). So I played for awhile with models created entirely by using booleaned primitives, but it was blah. I bought Truespace too, but it was a bit too cluttered for me, and I never got into it (I LOVED the simplicity of the Bryce interface at the time).

Then I purchased a 3D program that was very low-priced and offered GREAT possibilities. I liked what I saw people do with it. However, the documentation was bad, and the support was even worse (considering how dreadful their documentation and instructions were, you'd think they'd be a bit more nice to the new customers). I won't name this product, but I was highly disappointed in it and the company. So within 1 month, I was searching for a new program to allow me to do various things. I should thank them for making me look into further programs.

Lo and behold, I stumbled on this forum and asked around. I must admit that Leigh was the primary motivator for me to get Lightwave. Now, I'm not saying this because I'm some middle-aged man trying to get on some young lady's good side (I'm engaged, so my life is over :D ). But she was VERY helpful and was putting out these tutorials, WIPS (an orc at the time) and texture how-to's that were REALLY impressive. On further talks to her and upon reading that comparisson of 3d apps thread on the general board here (which mentioend that Lightwave was the best 'out of the box' package), I did it and got Lightwave. Thanks Leigh! Seriously. And thanks to the CGTALKers who constantly posted these GREAT 3D bits of work that made me go "Damn, I wanna do that".

Its far more complex that I'd expected, but I really enjoy the learning process. Unfortunately my time has gotten busier and I have LESS time than I did when I purchased it, but I'm havin' a blast. I hope to have my first WIP up here before the end of this year.

Finally, Cathedral (although I don't think it was with Lightwave) has remained a strong inspiration for me. I'd love to purchase that short sometime.

lafnjack

DrStrik9
07-26-2003, 08:33 AM
I was "trapped" in the design business (therefore using Macs), wanted to do 3D really bad, suffered long and hard with Strata Studio Pro -- actually became very angry with that company, making promises that they didn't keep, most of their stuff didn't work AT ALL . . . anyway, I got into Lightwave when it became available for the Mac, at version 5.

LW 5.0/Mac was a dog with fleas, but NewTek, being the CHAMPIONS that they are, have stuck with their commitment to support the Mac, and have made almost every promise come true. What a company!

Now, with the duo dongle situation, I'm also playing with LW on a PC. But all my plugin investments are for OS X version (7.5c currently). I'm looking forward to what Apple and IBM cook up around the G5 over the next year or two! And I'm always thinking of building a real screamin' Intel box too. Maybe this fall . . .

Michael

artista3d
07-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Well, I'm also from the Amiga days. After messing with programs like "Turbo Silver", "Sculpt4D" and "Imagine", a studio hired me and bought a VideoToaster, that came bundled with the amazing LightWave 3D v. 1.0 !!! :buttrock:

When I dropped the Amiga, I was hired by another studio which used LightWave in Macs and PCs.

For making a long story short, I've really tried many (and I mean MANY) 3D packages, since the Amiga times (like 10-15 years ago), going through Mac and PC. Just to mention what comes to mind:

- Imagine
- Real3D
- 3D Studio
- Topas
- Strata 3D
- Electric Image
- Animation:Master
- RayDream Studio
- Maya
- Softimage|XSI
- Houdini

...but in the end, I keep coming back to LightWave because there is where I know how to get my stuff done! :thumbsup:

DrStrik9
07-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Yeah! I forgot all about Sculpt4D. I was trying out a demo of that when I heard Lightwave 5.0 was being released for Mac. After that, I never looked back.

madrenderman
07-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Uhm, in the far galaxy, when....
ehm sorry i start to do 3d with amiga in 1986, using sculp4d of byte by byte, after one year i found real3d 1.4 and i start to work with it, a good software, but not really productive environment, and i try every 3d software i can found, until i reiceve a copy of layout 3.0 with lighrave (for a newbey, i live in italy and until version 3.0 lightwave could be buyed and used only with videotoaster card, but old amiga card cannot be used with pal tv system used in italy, then i need an external software and dongle to use lw without videotoaster card), after two hours of play with layout and two objects i love it, and buy it from safe harbor.
(luckly for me i bought lw 3.5, first amiga release with dongle and without videotoaster).

during the years I continue to use lightwave be cause it's good, fast and i know how to work at best with it.
i also used solidthinking and renderman, maya, cinema 4d, and more.

i continue to work with lw be cause it's the best way which i know to have some result in fast, good and right way.

naturally for my nature i see and check every software, but if i not find a better way, i continue with lw, or better i think to integrate with other software, if it's necessary.
Carlo

Jonathan
07-27-2003, 03:33 AM
I was a max user before I began Lightwave. In fact my first 3D application was Trispectives 3Deye. I still have it too.

I bought it because it was the most bang for the buck at the time. I however paid $2500.00 for it. These new guys are lucky. They are only paying $1500.00 for it. It's a good app, but it has its failings like all apps. Max was just damn clumsey to me and it too too long for me to get anything done. Now I can swish primitives around without even thinking and create a humanoid. The modeller is Top notch. I love the modeller. Layout is OKAY, I still have beefs with the animation systems but it functions just require work-arounds. The renderer is decent. I've got no problems there.

Every app has its ups and downs. I've got the XSI demo and the reason why I wont use it is because I can't customize the keys. I hate right-clicking and having to choose menus. That is something I simply can't handle. Short cut keys for me all the way so that I can get rid of those ugly menus and deal with nothing but 3D space.

Gollum
07-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Great thread Leigh! Be prepared for a long story... ;)

My love for 3D developed during the last years in school, starting ~1995. I basically had no clue what I wanted to do as a career after school yet, but one of my hobbies at the time was building 3D scenes with POVRay. My text-based modeling abilities soon hit their limits, so I started using the shareware modeler Moray (you could actually do some quite decent stuff with it). The raytracing in POVRay would take awfully long, but it sure was fun.

A little bit later I started using the Internet (Compuserve) and became a fan of the TV show Babylon 5 (yes this actually is of relevance). I had made my first steps into more serious 3D with a pirated copy of 3DS R4. Almost by acident I hit a thread in the CS forums about the rendering package used for B5. Up until that day I was convinced the show was done on some fancy million bucks SGIs. I hit a few links from that post and was astonished! It was still a lot of money, but since I could get the educational version I just had to have it! So I ordered LW5 (late 1996 I think) and it arrived just in time, as me and some friends were finishing up our programming project for school. While I had struggled to get any animation done in 3DS R4, I picked up on Lightwave immediatelly. And while the other groups of our course submitted text based programs that printed a card with your name on it, we had over a hundred MB worth of graphics packed into an adventure game. :beer:

Needless to say, I stuck with Lightwave ever since, its not every day you spend that kid of cash on software and I could barely afford keeping up with the upgrades. Most of the time it was nothing more than a hobby though. After finishing school I first did my year of civil service, some freelance web design and then an internship in a design studio. There I learned that while I had a great time and obviously wasn't bad at it either, industrial-, web- and print-design just aren't my thing. :shrug:

After what sometimes seems like a couple of wasted years, I finally got to use LW professionally for the first time when I started to work as a freelance 3D artist with a small local game studio in 2001. Well, actually that's what I'm still doing today, creating and animating dozens of characters (and the occasional background) for our games.

As for the future, I hope to continue using LW for a long time, I just like the workflow. Granted, its been a pain learning to rig and animate characters in LW and there's still lots left to be learned (I'm probably best described as one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" types), but once I got the basics down, its gotten a lot easier. I'm hoping LW8 will bring all the tools and improvements to keep it competitive (I trust it will and 've already started saving up), I have grown somewhat sentimentally attached to this little tool... :love:

Locutus
08-06-2003, 06:30 PM
I ave always been an artist and had done some 2D animation in high school. In 1999, I was wanting to go back to college and study art, but my love for animation started up again and I looked for a school that taught 3D animation. I learned to use 3dsmax first and used it through school and in my first few jobs. Then I was offered a job to teach animation to high school students. "No problem" I said assuming they taught 3dsmax. However I was wrong, "We teach Lightwave," I was told.
Well to make a long story short I got the job , but I was scared because I had no desire to use Lightwave and in fact, was turned off by it (I tried using Lightwave 5.5 and hated it). But I was given a copy of Lightwave 6.5 and had two months learn it well enough to start teaching.
I was blown away by the ease of this app and felt myself becoming even more creative. In fact, using Lightwave has made me a better 3dsmax user (I haven't given up using max:))
Now I use Lightwave 7.5 and loving it and my students and I are eagerly awaiting the arrival of LW8 later this quarter.

uncon
08-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I had been using cheep little programs, whatever I could get my little hands on freeware, demos, cheap software (POVRAY, Bryce, etc...). I realized I had outgrown these programs and that 3D was what I wanted to do. Looked at my options in the late 90's in my price range, looks like Max or Lightwave. I did tons of research (I could only aford one). At first it looked like Max was for me, The user base on the net was huge, and then I realized how many plugins you had to buy to get things like reflections and bone deformations (back around v5.0 for LW). Screw that! I didn't want to pay more to get less function so I chose Lightwave and never regretted it.

richcz3
08-07-2003, 12:18 AM
I realized I was drawing less and less and wanted to get creative again in a new medium.

A friend told me that there was a new 3D program available that was being used for TV Sci-Fi programs (Babylon 5) and that I should buy it. I didn't believe it, but I looked into it and found out about Lightwave being ported over to the Windows PC.
I was blown away by Babylon 5 and ordered my copy immediately.

richcz3

moovieboy
08-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Wow, I had to think about my answer for a bit...

Okay, I was doing TV work early 2001 and my *ahem* friend's copy of Electric Image wasn't cutting it... so, I needed to go legit!

Maya was $7,999 (and I don't think it had come out for Macs)...
SoftImage and Max were PC only...
Animation Master didn't seem to be enough and didn't play well with others...
I was all set to get EI Universe... and then... out of the corner of my magazines, were reviews of Lightwave 6/6.5...:love:

I was pretty impressed by these things called "Hypervoxels" and "Radiosity" and "HDRI" and just had to have it!

-Tom

ages
08-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Had always heard of Lightwave during the Amiga days, say whaty they did with movies like Robocop 2 and Startrek next generation. Lightwave to me was always a more serios 3D app than 3DS because it had its roots in video production.

Best thjing about Lightwave - Its Community!

Qslugs
08-08-2003, 05:19 PM
I think it was back in 96 when I was taking a Alias class in my schools ID depatement. I was going to school for traditional animaton at that time and had also taken some computer animation courses on the Amiga's; Dpaint and Imagine. Once I figured out that I loved 3d, also that I was much better at 3d than 2d, I started looking around at purchasing a program that I could use back at my apartment for my project the following year. I was so close at the time to buying a student discounted version of 3dsr3 with a whole bunch of plugins until a graduate student in the ID department pointed out that I should check out LW. He mentioned that in the end it's the output that matters and that was something that LW at the time excelled in. So I located the nearest LW dealer and ordered myself a copy of LW 4.0 and I even bought a copy of thoes Lightrom discs. I Can't remember what number it was though maybe Lightrom 3. I think the grand total for both came out somewhere around 900 dollars.

The following year I used Lightwave to complete a 4 and a half min short animation for my senoir project. While the animation did have some problems, (minor foot slide and lipsynch issues. This was pre morph gizmo) it was still quite a feat for somone only working on a pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram and refresh rates between keyframing objects that would give a baby brain damage. Either way I got about 80 percent done of what I had set out to accomplish.

After school I fell into a job there in Philladelphia and brought LW along with me to use where I worked. I stayed there for almost two years and somehow I ended up in Chicago in mid 99.

The rest is all history. I still use LW 6.5 at home however at work I use something else....

jjburton
08-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Way back in the day I was using truespace 2 and crashing renders like the best of them (I don't ever think I got an animation to finish rendering). When I got out of the Marines, I had been using Max for about a year and needed a 3d solution for my freelancing that I could buy to be legit. Looked around and found a deal where I could get LW for 999 back in Dec of 2001 if I went to a VT2 demo. So I swung by Raleigh, NC to see a demo and put my order in and I've never looked back. I've been using it for work and fun since then. Modelling in LW for me is second nature. I have to use Maya at school for some stuff, but every chance I get, I'm using LW:thumbsup:

nostromo_va
08-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Why simple,
To meet chicks and make the big bucks, why else?

And then the harsh reality came to light...wave (ducks from the thrown -and largely unread- LW 7 manuals directed at his pointy noggin).

I chose to change professions after working for 20 years at a drone job for "the man." I wanted an outlet for my mad, creative impulses.

I researched all the available CG packages and LW was a no-brainer selection price-performance wise.

After a learning curve, I have finally produced a demo reel.

I love LW, I learn something new every single day.

There are things I would make easier, and other nit-picky stuff, but so far it has met every challenge I have brought to it. I have found my ignorance of how to use it's power the only limitation.

A big help to my workflow was watching someone who knows what they are doing use the package. Larry Shultz (Splinegod) caused my modeling skills to increase by 300% just from sitting through one seminar on his character modeling technique.
Get with somebody who has used LW or attend a seminar or buy a tape - it's worth more than money.

I guess I said enough.

MattClary
08-08-2003, 08:49 PM
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting!

Hi, my name is Matt, and I wave. :cry: Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I can't sleep at nights because sometimes I lie there thinking of new ways to wave. I am currently in withdrawal because my dongle died and my dealer hasn't sent me a new one yet.

I've always loved to draw (the gateway to waving if there ever was one), but it all really began in the late '80s when I started playing on a friends Mac. I discoverd you could actually DRAW on a computer! How freaking cool is that?! After I got out of the Air Force, I attended a Vo Tech school and learned manual drafting and AutoCAD. This was awesome! I got a job with an engineering firm drawing surveys. Not exactly art, but I enjoyed it, too bad it didn't pay dick. But I digress... AutoCAD was cool, I "borrowed" a copy of 3D Studio (none of that wussy Windows Max crap) :) and liked it pretty well, bought Raydream, but just never got into it. I played with a warez copy of Bryce and bought it the next day. Man, that's a sweet program for someone who doen't know what they are doing! At Digitalblasphemy.com, I saw some really cool stuff this guy was doing with LightWave. I bought Inspire and really loved it, except I was really frustrated with lack of numeric control. At this time, Newtek was having a special crossgrade from a couple of products (none of which I actually owned) so I got a copy of LightWave for $1000. I got over my feelings of guilt when they started offering upgrades from Inspire for that or less.

I only use LW as a hobby, but man I love her. :love:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.