PDA

View Full Version : MAXScript, Snapshot, Poly vs. Triangular mesh..

konan_b
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
I was wondering if there is a function like Snapshot (or a parameter for Snapshot) to make a copy of the current object as a Editable Polygon mesh, instead of just an Editable (triangular) mesh?

In my MAXscript, I could clone the object, then convert it to an Editable Poly, but I figured that I'd ask here first in case there was a more efficient way of doing it (like using SnapShot).

Just to be clear, I have something like this...
local Object = $
local TempObject = snapshot Object

-- do something with TempObject here. Would be nice if it was an editable poly instead of editable mesh

delete TempObject

Your advice and/or opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated,
Konan

Bercon
12-17-2008, 09:16 PM
If possible you should always use emesh instead when scripting, its easily 100 times faster (yes literally) than editing epoly with maxscript.

konan_b
12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Hmmm. I am not familiar with eMesh. I am developing a scripted plug-in which requires many other features found in MAXScript. An quick google search of eMesh did not produce anthing meaningful. Do you have any links which describe in detail what eMesh is for?

Konan

ZeBoxx2
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
emesh is short for 'editable mesh'.. i.e. the result you're currently already getting when using snapshot() or snapshotAsMesh, etc.

I don't think there's a straight snapshot-to-poly, so your method of converting to poly afterward is probably your best bet if you do absolutely want an editable poly

konan_b
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Ah, miscommunication. Thank you for clearing that up :) . You see, the reason why I ask is that the model is being exported to another application, that uses polygons by nature. In this other program, the model may be re-UV mapped and then sent back to MAX. Now, If I sent a triangulated version of the model and remapped it, when the new UV mapping comes back, some polygons may be "split' by the UV mapping where one triangle is mapped in one location while the other is mapped elsewhere. So in this case, preserving the original polygonal structure is more important than performance.

Since you mentioned it, what is the difference between snapShot and snapShotAsMesh? The documentation doesn't say too much about snapShotAsMesh (one sentence to be precise).

Konan

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.