PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Showreel 2008

Bun
12-17-2008, 07:10 PM
This is the compilation showreel done during and after my postgraduate study at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design - London Animation Studio. The work consisted of weekly exercises and professional work done after graduation.

Software used:
Autodesk Maya 2008
Adobe After Effects CS3
Adobe Flash CS3

I am currently looking for a permanent role as a character animator / post-production / motion graphics artist within the animation industry, so I would be really greatful if you guys can give me any feedbacks. There are still bits and pieces I need to fix, but it's been dragging for so long as I was trying to make a perfect showreel.

The reel breakdown is included in the video link, as well as on the actual DVD.

VIMEO HD: http://www.vimeo.com/2553923

Youtube(choose HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7H62dW3NsE

Thank you very much!

anmKevin
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey there. I think what you have shows a lot of promise. From what I can see, your 2d work is pretty impressive, but, if I were you, I'd try to put a more finished piece of 2d on the reel. There are kind of little fragments here and there and everything looks half finished. I know you said it's still a work in progress, but try finishing one scene before moving on to another. Personally, I'd love to see a bit longer 2d section with some dialogue or something, but as it stands, you don't really have anything where I can tell exactly what is going on. I can't get a good sense of your understanding for acting or weight or anything with such short pieces. Like I said though, I definitely see that you have some talent in 2d and drawing. Your stuff reminds me of Peter Chung, which is rad.

As for your 3d work, honestly, it doesn't compare to what I think you're capable of in 2d animation. You probably just haven't been at it as long though, I suspect. A lot of the movements are mechanical and pop a lot. I don't think that dance is the best thing to showcase your 3d skill. Try something simple, like a run and jump or a weight lift. The dialogue piece is a good thing to have in there but it could still use work. The brows remain pretty static and you could probably finesse the eye movements and add a few more nervous blinks. The lip sync is ok for a first pass, but you could play with it more and make it match up nicely, with less movements overall. Try and simplify it a bit because a lip sync should always be less complicated than you think it needs to be.

Overall, I'd simplify your reel. A good reel isn't complicated. It shows employers that you can do the basics and that's always 100% better than showing them something complicated. Definately do some simple animation excersises. Maybe add another lip sync. A good idea I found when doing mine was to completely re-do my lip sync from scratch (using the same clip). It will be easier and better the second time around. I'd try to make a longer 2d piece, but probably also keep most of your 2d work in there because it's cool. Oh, and I don't know about that song in there... :p

good luck! keep it up

Bun
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
snip

Thank you for your comment Kevin. The 2D work was a music video job done for Iglu & Hartly's latest stuff, the footage I have are unfinished and the studio havent yet send us completed footages, hence it's pretty broken - do you think I should just take it out of the reel completely?

sipone
12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Yo bun, anmKevin has pretty well resume my thoughts, really promising works especially 2d and the 3d stuff must be more solid. Anyway good work..

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.