PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying tablets

ThiagoCrawford
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, so I'm looking to buy a tablet, but cash is a bit of a problem...

What I want it for would be to use in Zbrush and Photoshop.

So I hear Wacoms Intuos is the best. And I can afford one but the smaller ones only, right now A5 size would be my limit . It just seems kinda small, having never used it before can anyone tell me if it's worth it?
Is an A6 even worth considering?
Or Should I wait a bit and save for an A4 size?
Or is a Bamboo Fun good enough?
And are there any alternatives that are just as good as wacom but cheaper?

Thanks

Oli4D
12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Ok, so I'm looking to buy a tablet, but cash is a bit of a problem...

What I want it for would be to use in Zbrush and Photoshop.

So I hear Wacoms Intuos is the best. And I can afford one but the smaller ones only, right now A5 size would be my limit . It just seems kinda small, having never used it before can anyone tell me if it's worth it?
Is an A6 even worth considering?
Or Should I wait a bit and save for an A4 size?
Or is a Bamboo Fun good enough?
And are there any alternatives that are just as good as wacom but cheaper?

Thanks

A5 is fine for pretty much everything if you don't do very very detailed stuff on a 30" monitor :-)
I use a Intuos3 A5 wide on my 24" for photoshop, ZBrush, animating... it's perfect.
I had an A4 before. Did not like it that much, it was too large.
Keep in mind: You still need space on the table for the keyboard.
A6 is probably a bit small, don't know. But A5 is definitely the best choice, in my opinion.

ThiagoCrawford
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
A5 is fine for pretty much everything if you don't do very very detailed stuff on a 30" monitor :-)
I use a Intuos3 A5 wide on my 24" for photoshop, ZBrush, animating... it's perfect.
I had an A4 before. Did not like it that much, it was too large.
Keep in mind: You still need space on the table for the keyboard.
A6 is probably a bit small, don't know. But A5 is definitely the best choice, in my opinion.
hmmm.. interesting, so the A5 would be optimum size for a 20" screen size user who doesn't need tooo much detail I guess.
What do you mean by " You still need space on the table for the keyboard"
I've never used a tablet so its a bit unclear to me, I just thought you'd still be using a normal keyboard with the tablet at the same time

And thanks =)

Oli4D
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I just thought you'd still be using a normal keyboard with the tablet at the same time

That's what I mean :-). The larger the tablet, the farer away the keyboard :-)
Let's say you have a small table but a huge tablet on it... there maybe won't be enough space for the keyboard.
Or if you would buy a A3 tablet... :D, well then you would have to place the keyboard somewhere where it would be uncomfortable to reach.
So I just wanna say: the smaller the tablet, the closer and easier to use the keyboard :-)

ThiagoCrawford
12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
That's what I mean :-). The larger the tablet, the farer away the keyboard :-)
Let's say you have a small table but a huge tablet on it... there maybe won't be enough space for the keyboard.
Or if you would buy a A3 tablet... :D, well then you would have to place the keyboard somewhere where it would be uncomfortable to reach.
So I just wanna say: the smaller the tablet, the closer and easier to use the keyboard :-)
Ohh right lol
I thought maybe you'd set up another keyboard onscreen which you'd then use with the tablet or something, thanks for clearing that up for me
I think an A3 tablet should have it's own built in keyboard =D.
I guess an A5 isn't too bad after all thanks for the help :thumbsup:

biliousfrog
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
A5 is a great size. Bear in mind that the actual footprint is larger than an A4 sheet, the A4 tablets are closer to A3...that's a lot of desk space.

workbench
12-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Most computer desks have a slidding drawer for the keyboard, on mine I actually put the tablet there, works great and I have an A4 Intuos.

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2008, 12:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.