PDA

View Full Version : Vertibevel vs. Bevel ++

proton
06-20-2003, 11:00 PM
I had a chance to play with both Vertibevel and Bevel ++ recently and I was curious as to which one you guys prefer. So far my vote goes for Bevel ++ as it seems to do everything that Vertibevel does and a few things more....that and it's far cheaper.

Bevel ++:

>Cheaper
>Doesn't use a floating window (big plus for me)
>Save presets like vertibevel (awesome)
>fixes those pesky overlapping problems
>etc. etc.

what's your take on them?

proton
06-20-2003, 11:02 PM
here are a few links:

http://www.dtium.com/software/bevelpp/

http://www.skstudios.com/VertiBevel.htm

Steve Warner
06-20-2003, 11:26 PM
I switched over to Bevel++ just before it went commercial. So I can't comment on the new features. But it still rocks! The ability to fix the overlapping poly thing is really fantastic. :thumbsup:

proton
06-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Saving the presets sold me....that was the only thing missing until the update.

wgreenlee1
06-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Never tried vertibevel....Bevel++ is good enough for me.

Newtek should really consider intergrating a real bevel into Lightwave.
Both Maya and Lightwave bevel are really nothing more than a smooth shift type of movement.

Chewey
06-21-2003, 01:15 AM
I like Vertibevel. Its presets are what sold me on it originally.

rickycox
06-21-2003, 02:14 AM
Bevel++ $30 is PC only, and Veribevel are kidding themselves with the $149.95 price tag.

MorBioS
06-21-2003, 05:58 AM
vertibevel rox save presets superox :thumbsup:

but bevel++ is rox too however I never use it hehehe:shrug:

Cman
06-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Vertibevel was always way to expensive for me.
I've been a bevel++ user since he first released it and it works great.

rickycox
06-21-2003, 06:12 AM
Just think for the price of Vertibevel, you could almost buy.

Bevel++ US$30
Eposť AUS$55
ACS4 US$90

leigh
06-21-2003, 06:12 AM
What do you guys use bevelling for so much?

I personally never use it :shrug: I prefer using the Knife and Bandsaw tools to make rounded edges.

wgreenlee1
06-21-2003, 06:18 AM
Vertibevel never came down in price?

I cant see paying that much for beveling....eki has one I havent tried yet but would sooner pay for that than to pay $150 for vertibevel.....

:rolleyes:

Cman
06-21-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Leigh

I personally never use it :shrug: I prefer using the Knife and Bandsaw tools to make rounded edges.

I do lots of exciting logos, texts, etc... :scream:

Grab the faces, bevel and go.

rnb2
06-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Beveling is very handy with mechanical objects, where it helps to add surface detail fairly quickly and easily. Things like microbevels also add a great deal to the realism of most objects. What Vertibevel (and, I assume, Bevel++) add is the ability to do really complex bevels, chamfers, and such really easily.

Personally, I've owned Vertibevel since shortly after it was released, and always thought it was worth the money, but there wasn't another tool like it around when I purchased it.

People are very quick to say "this costs way too much", but as tool users (rather than tool creators), that's a given. For the professionals on the board, think of it this way - what if some 16-year-old came along and started going after your clients, and was able to drastically undercut your price for the same work because he doesn't have to pay rent, buy his own food, or any of the other things that an adult has to take into account when trying to "make a living"? How would you feel if your clients did the math, and decided your rates, which represent a "living wage" for you and allow you to stay in business, are far too expensive?

I realize this is a slippery slope - in capitalist economies, prices are essentially always driven down by competition, and part of staying in business is being able to deal with the fact that, sooner or later, your core product or pricing structure could be made obsolescent by competition. However, that doesn't always mean that the higher-priced product is overpriced - as with Vertibevel, there is a pricing premium available to those that "open a market", because they are the first on the scene and have borne the risk of creating the original tool hoping to create a market for it. I'm sure there are a number of studios that have been using Vertibevel since it was released, and as long as support has been good (I have no info on this), they have no reason to switch.

As an aside, if I was a LW developer, I'd be a little uneasy with a Newtek representative going on a public forum and comparing my product with the competition, favorably or not. Personally, I don't think Newtek's role should extend beyond mentioning a product's availability and where more information can be obtained - this was one of the original issues between Joe Alter and Newtek (besides the bugs), and while it doesn't excuse what Joe eventually did to his users (myself included), I think there are lessons to be learned............

ChristianFischer
06-21-2003, 04:28 PM
i recently found another plugin that seems good for those of you who like to make edges round :)

the price is 39$

Rounder (http://www.richardbrak.net/Rounder/index.html)

cheers chris

Steve Warner
06-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by rnb2
Personally, I don't think Newtek's role should extend beyond mentioning a product's availability and where more information can be obtained
rnb2, I agree with many of the points in your post. They are clear, direct, and well thought out. But on this last point, I disagree as I feel that your reasoning is somewhat flawed. You must remember that the people posting these messages are not simply employees of Newtek. They are users of the software themselves. And in that regard, they are entitled to share their thoughts and opinions (within the boundaries of the CGTalk policy) just like the rest of us. Asking that they be silenced because of their association is like saying that I can't comment on the US presence in Iraq because I work on a military base. My job does not preclude my ability to think and formulate opinions. Or to discuss those opinions openly. In this, I am not saying that those associations come without responsibility. Only that they should not be reason for censorship.

Steve

Chewey
06-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I also bought vertibevel a while back. But
on occasion I use Smoo for some of my basic smooth shifting ops.

EvilE
06-21-2003, 05:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally never use it I prefer using the Knife and Bandsaw tools to make rounded edges.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

because we are guys sooner or later everyone of us tries to modell a woman and when modelling a woman theres most times a thing or two to bevel :love:

EE :p

kevman3d
06-21-2003, 11:50 PM
I know Newtek put RailBevel into Modeler that lets you define a more complex bevel effect (and if you save the rails, you save the 'preset')

Though after demoing it at a LWUG a few months back, I do realise this just isnt that 'easy' to use for most people... Pity, its a great idea that is confusing to work with for most (Hence I believe why its underrated or looked over a lot).

Vertibevel and Bevel++ look sweet - I've seen Vertibevel in use back in LW5.x days, however I might just go take a closer look at Bevel++ right now. :)

Rounder also looks nice, but there are also a few others to look at if edge rounding is your thing:

Heres a cheap edge smoother (US$25) - Looks real nice (specially that cool looking military truck model at the start of the page!):
http://www.mmm.ne.jp/~waken/edgesm/index_e.html

There is a free edge beveler here... but only for 7.x -
http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/development/developright.html

Cheers!

Kev
-- -- -- --
http://www.kevman3d.com
-- -- -- --

CTRL+X
06-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Vertibevel here!!!!

wgreenlee1
06-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by EvilE
quote:

I personally never use it I prefer using the Knife and Bandsaw tools to make rounded edges.

because we are guys sooner or later everyone of us tries to modell a woman and when modelling a woman theres most times a thing or two to bevel :love:

EE :p

LOL!

yog
06-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Vertibevel here :bounce:

It had the functions I need earlier on.
Even now I find it faster than Bevel+++, and much easier to get a combination of very large and very small bevels in the same profile.

Because a lot of my work is quite precise architectural / mechanical models, I find the updating offset values for each profile point indespensible.

I also find Richard Brak's Rounder to be very good. It allows very precise bevels to be added to a model without upsetting any tight tollerances that might already be present in the model.

proton
06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
I think Rounder Rocks as well! But I would use it for totally different things then Bevel ++

Castius
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
http://www.davidikeda.com/

shift
super shift

Don't forget about these bevel plugins. shift is alittle buggy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.