PDA

View Full Version : How to show one object always in wireframe mode

madjeter
12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
As I knonw, in Max, user can show object all in wireframe mode after pressing key 'F3'. But in my work, I encountered one requirement that users want to show one special geometry node in wireframe node always. How can I make it?
Thanks a lot!

ZeBoxx2
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think you can set a wireframe display mode per-node as a node property (there's a 'display as box'.

You could exploit a Standard material's Wireframe property, which does force the node it's applied to to be displayed as wireframe... using a Shell material you can easily have this apply only to the viewport, and keep the original material for rendering:

$.material = shell_material originalmaterial:$.material bakedMaterial:(standard wire:true) viewportMtlIndex:1

bit kludgy, but should do the trick

PEN
12-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Another way to sort of fake it is the lattice modifier.

istudios
12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
so the lattice modifier would actually fake nodal wireframe mode in the viewport, never thought about that, definitely will try it. But how would the performance be if it were in a large scene, would it have an impact on memory?.....

Ruramuq
12-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Layers perhaps : $.displayByLayer = true
(layermanager.getlayer 1).display = #wireframe

PiXeL_MoNKeY
12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Like Ruramuq said create a special wireframe layer and move objects in and out of it based on what you want displayed as wireframe compared to the default display mode. NOTE: display overrides work in all display modes, except bounding box. Also, here is a fix to Ruramuq's code to properly change the layer display of the selected object:$.displayByLayer = true
(layermanager.getlayerfromname ($.layer.name)).display = #wireframe-Eric

madjeter
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
It seems it is not an easy function to support in max script. I would like to try your suggestions first. But I am busy today. Maybe I can try out tomorrow.
Thank all of your guys.

madjeter
12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the help! Both of the two ways work. I do not know which one has less side effect. But material one is very simple to do.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.