PDA

View Full Version : First projects in MEL? Any ideas?

SaucyJack
06-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi people,

I've been working through David Gould's book and things are finally starting to click. Hooray!! The problem is i can't think of anything to Mel script as a kind of introductory project. First and last idea was to write an autorigging script. This is maybe a bit too advanced for my brain.

Sooo, any ideas peeps on what to write. Maybe even something thats already out there and i'll try to write my own version and compare the two.

thanx in advance

mark_wilkins
06-20-2003, 09:00 PM
You might try having a look at examples of things other people have done:

* Scripts on Highend3D.com

* Scripts in the MEL scripts thread here

* The numerous example scripts from MEL Scripting for Maya Animators (http://www.melscripting.com/) and The MEL Companion by David Stripinis.

Once you see the range of things people have actually done with MEL, you'll be better equipped to see how it can apply to what you're doing.

-- Mark

bentllama
06-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by mark_wilkins
The MEL Companion[/i] by David Stripinis.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584502754/qid=1056227205/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-5875108-9670209?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

didnt know Dave had a book. kewl.

dunkel3d
06-26-2003, 11:05 PM
could you write me a script that simulates skin sliding over muscle?:drool:

S

dstripinis
06-27-2003, 06:54 AM
That I do. Unfortunately, I donít often find the time to patrol the bulletin boards. Iím impressed with how much time the unbelievably kind Mark Wilkins finds to help out people here. Work here at Imageworks is keeping me very busy this summer.

Also, per that negative review on Amazon (which I realize comes with the territory, but I still want to rebut). The MEL Companion is designed almost as a textbook, and each chapter and project should really be covered in order. I know that sounds silly. But youíd be surprised. Each section builds upon and relies upon the previous pages.

Anyone with questions about the book can drop me a private note here.

gmask
06-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SaucyJack
Sooo, any ideas peeps on what to write. Maybe even something thats already out there and i'll try to write my own version and compare the two.

Somebody in the main forum is asking for a script to convert their display layer sinto render layers.. how about that? Should be an easy one.

SaucyJack
06-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi peeps,

Just bought Marks book. (It's great) Had to sacrifice a weekend of drinking and public nudity to pay for it though.:buttrock:

Am currently toying with a few ideas to do with rigging. Very simple stuff but a start nonetheless.

gmask - nice one! I'll give it a go.

dunkel3d - I'll start tonight. Should be out in time for Maya 11. Don't hold your breath though.

dstripinis - Ohh nooo!! Another weekend bites the dust.

:thumbsup:

dstripinis
06-27-2003, 08:49 PM
As a slight disclaimer/warning. My book attempts to get pretty heavy into building tools and behaviors. @ 450 pgs, 2 - 3 weekends is a safer bet.

MEL is like any aspect of 3D art, it takes time, patience and practice.

mark_wilkins
06-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I particularly loved that reviewer's dig at the one example in our book that I found particularly interesting, even as he was telling people to buy our book. :surprised

Anyway, sorry if this has to be said explicitly, but every code-intensive book is going to have errors and omissions because they're so incredibly hard to edit and the publishers don't have lots of extra money or time to sink into the process. I think I know more about how to do it next time, and I'm sure David would say the same, but there's a ton of great stuff in David's book and I think the one negative review on Amazon (which btw in a bizarre twist was posted twice) failed to see the forest through the trees.

-- Mark

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.