PDA

View Full Version : vray to mentalray

andyspence
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I am a user of VRAY to produce photorealish renders. I thinking about collaborating on an animation project but the animators want to use XSi - which means using mental ray. Can anyone point me to a brief run down of mental, possibly comparing it to vray? Better still can anyone with experience with both give me their opinions. Most of the renders are animated internal sets, with heavy use of specular maps, motion blur and DOF.

Thanks,

Andy

Bullit
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Mentalray is a node based system and you will struggle at start with it. Why not export the modeling?
Also maybe also you can contact Chaos Group and get on Vray Beta or Alpha for XSI.

Strang
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
at blur we point cache our animation back to max for rendering... i would also suggest trying to get on the vray for xsi beta

steven

runejw
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Check out these couple of free tutorials on Mental Ray techniques for really fast rendering.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=24&t=714602

VRay IMO has a nice photographic look to most renders, but seems to require way more rendering time (unless one uses a renderfarm I suppose).

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.