PDA

View Full Version : wireframe render on subD with mental ray

lor3nz0
12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I managed to render the edges of a poly geometry using mental ray and enabling the contour_shader_simple. The beauty is that my wireframe appears right on top of the geometry with nice shading, raytraced shadows...
the limitation i'm facing is that the contour shader allow to draw the smooth edges of the poly which is too dense.

Would it be possible to render the subD version of the wireframe? (i would like to avoid tricks using photoshop, and if possible keep the workflow inside maya)
Mental ray do not want to render any contour on a subD except if i turn on tessalation, which is bad looking: lots and lots of tris!

any clue out there?

thanks...

Bliz
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
oh crap. I was on a webpage the other day and smomeone had coded exactly what you're looking for. It was in a pack with a few other shaders.

Sorry, when I remember which site it was I'll reply properly.

lor3nz0
12-19-2008, 07:59 AM
waouh! can't wait!!!

I also tryed to google that, but couldn't find the right tip except the usual contour around poly faces with mental ray!

Giap
12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I think you can use the Toon shader and render your mesh in Maya software. It doesn't require the UV has to be layouted and it saves a lot of time as well. You can control the thickness of the line too.

What you need to do is that choose the object that you want to render then Toon --> Assign Outline --> Add New Toon outline.

In the pfxToonShape attribute tab, change Profile Lines and Border Lines off. Then you go to the Crease Lines tab and set Crease Angle Min and Max to 0 then uncheck the Hard Creases Only right below them. Now you have the line of the object already. If you want to change the thickness of the line, just change the Crease Line Width in the Crease Lines tab and that's it.

lor3nz0
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Thank you Giap,
Your tip is equivalent to the mental ray contour shader. At least i know now how to do contour shader with maya software.
but this is not exactly what i'm looking for.
I'm currently away from my computer, but i'll post soon some images to be more explicit on this issue.
thanks for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.