PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 2 - Behind The Scenes

downing
12-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Hi folks,
We are really excited to bring you all a peek into the production of Epic Games's latest: Gears of War 2. CGSociety talks to Art Director Chris Perna about working with the Good, the Skorge and the Unreal Engine 3.

http://features.cgsociety.org/images/plugs/feature/plug_gears2.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4831)

Check out the full feature here >> (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4831)

nsb
12-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Since when is this an EA game? - Epic/Microsoft?

downing
12-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Oops! Sorry - my typo :) *how embarrassing*
Thanks =)

jett12
12-16-2008, 02:45 AM
such an amazing game, and quite an amazing team as well.

nsb
12-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Great read, thanks for putting it together. This game is on my xmas list along with resistance 2 and the new prince of persia.

Oops! Sorry - my typo :) *how embarrassing*
Thanks =)

np :)

Grgeon
12-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Only two artists for cinematics? Amazing! Great work.

-GC

ralphmanning
12-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Interesting read, thanks. I just wish I had more time to play all these great games!

Disappointed to not see some concept art for Gears 2 by John Wallin Liberto. His environments for the first game were phenomenal.

pOiNtPuShEr
12-16-2008, 05:24 AM
This game was a real visual feast. Even for those who don't care for the genre or franchise specifically, you've got to respect the visual fidelity. Cool stuff.

doylle
12-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Absolutely brilliant, great stuff!

mim-Armand
12-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Awesome article, tnx for it, :cool:

m,

leigh
12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Great to see this article at last! Gears 2 was definitely the game of the year for me :buttrock:

Braetzel
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
The guy's at Epic are monsters... Professionaly, one of the best in the videogame industry^^

PavelPetrenko
12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Great article, thanks!

Anchuvi
12-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Amazing work, and great article...I wonder how long the artists are allowed to work on each character/creature to get that amount of detail in...

In my experience, its more a case of "get it done a.s.a.p" rather than being allowed the time to polish...

Micro26
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I enjoyed playing gears1 very much.
Very inspiring stuff and i should have a look at 2 some day.
:)

masterofacid
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Too bad that current consoles or/and mid end pc´s sets the standard for the details in-game. It´s such a waste that these absolutely amazing models, can´t be used at a high resolution in the finished product. XBOX 720, where is it?!?!

Zerafian
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Great read, the amount of artists used for each displine is mind boggling for the quality thats out put...so few.

SheepFactory
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Great read, the amount of artists used for each displine is mind boggling for the quality thats out put...so few.

I dont think thats the complete credits list and is misleading. The credits section of the game manual is about 40x bigger.

Geta-Ve
12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
So, uh, maybe this is a stupid question, but, where are the high res pics? What is the point of the article having pictures if we can't even see the great details?

:P

P_T
12-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Is there any art for Kerrigan.. I mean the locust queen? :scream:

Soon2bAnimator
12-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Gears 1 was AWESOME i cant wait to get my hands on Gears of War 2 especially after reading this article.

cold_fusion
12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
great note and amazing works. this is must have to.

Ballo
12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
thank you for the article.

I really like gears of war´s world although characters have a monkey´s face... :D I love the last characters, good work.

cperna
12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
To be clear, the artists in the credits I've listed here are responsible for the majority of the fine art you see in Gears of War 1 and 2.

We outsourced some rigging, mo-cap clean-up and facial. We also used the talents of Epic China for some generic mesh sets.

Everything else, characters, animations, weapons, vehicles, cinematics, environments, meshes, FX, HUD, UI, Lighting was done in-house by the 31 or so artists who's names are listed in this interview. These guys and the others at Epic put tremendous love into this project.

They all did an amazing job and I'm proud to work with them.

Thanks,
-Chris Perna

DimitrisLiatsos
12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
U sure must be very proud ..the game is a visual dream....amazing work.

Ammarkk
12-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Very Interesting article, Thanks man.

ThomasMahler
12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I just reinstalled Gears of War 1 (PC) yesterday after playing Gears 2 on the 360 and man, Gears 2 really upped the ante in such a short timeframe. Also, the environments are really so much better in Gears 2, incredible work.

Laa-Yosh
12-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed with the article. The text content is tiny, and you can get most of the information with about 5 minutes of browsing anyway. And the images are super small.

The game and the art are both incredible, yeah. But this article is almost completely useless and I expect far more from CGSociety.

firstsingle
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
This is an amazing game. They've outdone themselves on this one. Did you see the locust environment, wow? 5 starts from me.

SheepFactory
12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
This is an amazing game. They've outdone themselves on this one. Did you see the locust environment, wow? 5 starts from me.

The most impressive environment to me was the underground caves. That level looked amazing. Loved the interior of the worm too. :D

ThomasMahler
12-18-2008, 04:43 PM
The most impressive environment to me was the underground caves. That level looked amazing. Loved the interior of the worm too. :D

Yeah, at first it was hard to believe that the stuff in the background was still realtime and not just a plane mapped in the background or whatever. Really good stuff, the environments in part 2 are really extremely well done.

Geta-Ve
12-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed with the article. The text content is tiny, and you can get most of the information with about 5 minutes of browsing anyway. And the images are super small.

The game and the art are both incredible, yeah. But this article is almost completely useless and I expect far more from CGSociety.

seems to be the standard on CG Society articles... :sad:

Snosrap
12-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Gears 2 is definitely pretty. But gameplay is so cut and dry and totally on a rail. Its a classic example of spending more time and energy on graphics and stupid ass story than gameplay. Half way through the campaign I quit and went to multiplayer. To be clear I did finish Gears 1 and logged countless hours playing on-line, a total blast (minus the many bugs). Gears 2 on-line is in my opinion poorly implemented. The only way to continue playing from map to map is to "party up" with 4 other friends. Hell I'm 51 years old how many friends do you think I have online playing Gears? Also when players quit mid game new players don't come into the action, so it's easy to end up a round 5 against 1 or 2 in many cases. Also I swear I spend more time in the lobby waiting for games than actually playing. Got so tired of it I went back to Gears 1 thinking there wouldn't be anyone playing because of Gears 2. Lo and behold there were plenty of games to be had. Funny everyone was bitching about how crappy Gears 2 multiplayer is. Its obvious that Cliffy B. really wants to be in the movie business. His campaign portions of his games play like interactive movies. Crap! Go here do that, when you get that done go over there and do this, step on the invisible square and trigger the next event. Lame! Save your dough.

SheepFactory
12-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Gears 2 is definitely pretty. But gameplay is so cut and dry and totally on a rail. Its a classic example of spending more time and energy on graphics and stupid ass story than gameplay. Half way through the campaign I quit and went to multiplayer. To be clear I did finish Gears 1 and logged countless hours playing on-line, a total blast (minus the many bugs). Gears 2 on-line is in my opinion poorly implemented. The only way to continue playing from map to map is to "party up" with 4 other friends. Hell I'm 51 years old how many friends do you think I have online playing Gears? Also when players quit mid game new players don't come into the action, so it's easy to end up a round 5 against 1 or 2 in many cases. Also I swear I spend more time in the lobby waiting for games than actually playing. Got so tired of it I went back to Gears 1 thinking there wouldn't be anyone playing because of Gears 2. Lo and behold there were plenty of games to be had. Funny everyone was bitching about how crappy Gears 2 multiplayer is. Its obvious that Cliffy B. really wants to be in the movie business. His campaign portions of his games play like interactive movies. Crap! Go here do that, when you get that done go over there and do this, step on the invisible square and trigger the next event. Lame! Save your dough.

To each his own. I much prefer the "go there do this" type gameplay of gears 2, especially playing co-op with a friend. I dont understand what your complaint is? Do you want it to be more open ended? They can't have the level of cinematic gameplay if that was the case.

That said agree with the online portion, it is the buggiest and laggiest game I have ever played.

Snosrap
12-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Do you want it to be more open ended? They can't have the level of cinematic gameplay if that was the case.

Exactly! Like I said, does Epic want to be in the game business or movie business? I've played through lots of games that were fun that had "stories", don't ask me what any of the stories were about, couldn't tell ya. Games don't need stories to be fun, but it's usually the story that confines the gameplay. I played through the Halo trilogy countless times. Still don't know what the story is about other than that there are bad aliens trying to overtake the universe. That series was a blast. I think stories are added to games to conceal hardware limitations, poor programming skills and inferior game design. I thought we were past hardware limitations. Pressing door buttons, pulling levers, chain sawing through arteries and get someplace before the time runs out are so cliché.

leigh
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
They can't have the level of cinematic gameplay if that was the case.

I totally agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire campaign and am currently on my third playthrough in co-op (currently tackling Insane).

I haven't had any problems with online play yet. I've completed all fifty waves of horde without any bugs or glitches. I play Gears online almost every night actually. What problems are people having?

Geta-Ve
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I totally agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire campaign and am currently on my third playthrough in co-op (currently tackling Insane).

I haven't had any problems with online play yet. I've completed all fifty waves of horde without any bugs or glitches. I play Gears online almost every night actually. What problems are people having?

The problems I have are that it takes me anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to actually get in to a game that ends in half that time (5 minutes roughly) The wait time is usually longer than the play time..
:shrug:

SheepFactory
12-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Try playing anything other than horde and you will see. The netcode is simply crap. I havent played a game where it didnt lag madly. You have to wait forever for matchmaking to work (which is made better in the recent patch but its still crap) A ton of stupid glitches that people exploit like being able to hit people through walls and the smoke grenade trick. All these kind of things that make playing online not fun for me in gears.

leigh
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh okay, I've only played a match once, and didn't have any problems, although I may have just been lucky that time. I generally don't play matches with strangers because it seems that the majority of them are either ultra competitive assholes who get pissy when you shoot them, or annoying twats who start hitting on me if they hear my voice (sooo lame).

viiltaja
12-19-2008, 11:38 PM
This game looks so amazing. I've always liked the Unreal engines. I watched some videos from youtube about the technical stuff and it's just... you know, picking my jaw up from the floor over and over again. So sweet stuff...

Geta-Ve
12-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Oh okay, I've only played a match once, and didn't have any problems, although I may have just been lucky that time. I generally don't play matches with strangers because it seems that the majority of them are either ultra competitive assholes who get pissy when you shoot them, or annoying twats who start hitting on me if they hear my voice (sooo lame).

Wish I COULD play with anyone other than strangers, but apparently I have friends who don't like to play games...

NO CLUE how that worked out. :D

It does make playing Co-op a lot harder though and less enjoyable as it is basically like playing by yourself except with a better partner/team.

I pretty much stopped playing my GoW2 because of these and other issues (lag, etc).

ChrisCandide
12-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Interesting read makes me want to go out and buy the game.

Navstar
12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Not much of an article. More like a puffy press release. "Everything we do is wonderful. See this? We made this super awesomer than before. This here? We made it 1000x better than Gears 1. Unreal Engine 3 roxxx!"

Seven
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Just finished Gear 2, finally :) and wow... what a game, superb just superb!

Roll on Gears 3!

Snosrap
03-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Been playing Gears 1 for the last couple months now thanks to the crap Gears 2, its fun!
I guess they updated 2, I'll give it a second chance sometime soon on multiplayer. Hey Cliffy B if your reading, go make a movie, leave the game making to someone else!

Snosrap

DuttyFoot
03-07-2009, 04:14 AM
all i can say is wow. i played gow 1 on my pc and the graphics were decent. the graphical quality in 2 is totally insane. i think i need to go get an xbox so i can play 2. just looking at those images makes me wanna run out and pick it up.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2009, 04:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.