PDA

View Full Version : Question to the group?

kurv
06-20-2003, 04:05 PM
I had an idea that we are kicking around here so I wanted to run it past the group here...

Sorry if I always seem to be asking about books...I work for a publisher.. :shrug:

As I get to know more about LW I will be posting more on modeling and things...

So...

Do you think it would make a good book to go through every tool in LightWave, tell what it does and give image examples of it..?

Please let me know, and thanks!!

PHILL_JAMES2000
06-20-2003, 04:09 PM
erm...kinda like the manual...but more examples? :)

kurv
06-20-2003, 04:40 PM
PHILL_JAMES2000, the manual does not do a good job of explaining it... It kinda causes a bunch of loops in the explanation because it name other terms in a definition.

I would be writing it from my perspective, a complete beginner... and make it much more picture oriented...

What do you think..?

Odrakir
06-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Definitively no.

That's what some books teaching other programs are all about (there are a lot like that for 3ds Max) and you don't learn anything reading that... well, maybe something, but not much

The things that a good book should teach is how to combine those different tools to make things, not the use of eachone separetly.

oh man! my english is getting worse everyday, I know...:thumbsdow

Odrakir.

proton
06-20-2003, 07:19 PM
I think if the book gave a real world example of each tool in action it would be a great resource.....

Explaining how rail bevel works and showing it in a real world use are two different things.....

I can think of alot of tools that we could use real world examples to help explain how to use them and when to use them

PHILL_JAMES2000
06-20-2003, 07:23 PM
yeah, that'd be a good idea... :D

Cman
06-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Yeah, what Proton said. But it sounds like more of a reference manual type thing.

Odrakir
06-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I think it might be a good idea, but it may be best the other way arround. Presenting real world examples and going through the process of making them using as much tools as possible for teaching purposes.

If you choose the examples correctly you can get... I don't know ... 10 that touch all the tools in Lightwave, or at least the most used ones.

Odrakir.

Nemoid
06-20-2003, 09:20 PM
it maybe a good idea if explanations are detailed and also can explain different uses for some tool, just because using them in different ways can get to different results and sometimes speed your workflow.so u see some pro's trick is always welcome!!!

takkun
06-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Have you ever seen the Photoshop 6 Shop Manual? It's like what you guys are talking about, it explains every single tool and gives examples on how to use them correctly. I'd love to see something like that for Lightwave.

Here's that Photoshop book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735711305/qid=1056138118/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-2816208-8297521?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

takkun
06-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Another book format I like is the Photoshop and Painter Wow! books. They show some beautiful artwork and then break them down and show you how to do it. I'd love to see the guys a Zoic break down how they did some of the scenes in Firefly or how Area 51 did the worm capture scene in Children of Dune.:buttrock:

Steve Warner
06-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Kind of like this?

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.shtml

Riki does a fantastic job of describing each tool. But what's missing here is the critical link between how these tools work in theory and how they work in the real world. If you're developing a new book on LightWave tools, you'd need to include both to make it worth my hard-earned money. :)

Cman
06-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey, thanks for that link Mr. Warner.

Steve Warner
06-20-2003, 11:11 PM
You're welcome, Mr. Cman. ;)

Ken Mac
06-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Absolutely Yes

pblacklock
06-21-2003, 02:41 AM
hello wes,

a dissecting book on each tool is not a great idea for learning. the manual does this, without solid examples most of us just wing it and move on to another tool without fully understanding the strength and value of the tool.

i just bought photoshop for nonlinear editors and wow, my photoshop skills really improve, this book has over 20 tuts and tons more freebies, fonts, graphics, samples, etc on a DVD. all the tutorials are meant to help you create small but powerful visual projects. as you learn you improve your skills and learn a few shortcuts and a way to work with the tools that make sense. the recent help file that we got with the lightwave update is a fantastic step into the right direction for beginners to learn the tools.

chapter 5 and up in Essential Lightwave is the way more books should be written. straight to the point and create some nifty effects and presentation.

Paul

dark_lotus
06-21-2003, 07:50 AM
I think this would be an excellent idea, especially if it used real world examples. It wouldn't be so much a tutorial book but as an invaluable reference, cause I'd be pretty confident in saying that not everyone knows all the tools.

It might also depend on, whether the LW 8 Manual is any good.

:buttrock:

gruvsyco
06-21-2003, 07:53 AM
I kinda feel the LW manual should do that.

leigh
06-21-2003, 07:55 AM
I think that instead of doing a whole book on this, the LW manual should just be enhanced.
I personally like the LW manual a lot, but I do feel that it is probably quite a brainful for beginners, as it is a more intermediate level book, in my opinion.
If the existing manual were to be enhanced in the manner that you are suggesting, that would be cool :)

isnowboard
06-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
Do you think it would make a good book to go through every tool in LightWave, tell what it does and give image examples of it..?

Please let me know, and thanks!!

I think the better question would be, Would people pay for it? This would be nice as part of the manual for Lightwave, but doubt enough people would pay for it to make it worth your while.

kurv
06-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Well I think the general consensus is it need to be in the LW manual... I will see what I can do about that :)

kurv
06-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Oh, ...btw we are writing the new manual (shhh) so I will work on it... :)

takkun
06-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh, ...btw we are writing the new manual (shhh) so I will work on it... :) That's great news! Can't wait to see it.:)

lwbob
06-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by proton
I think if the book gave a real world example of each tool in action it would be a great resource.....

As long as it wasn't project based and only really useful with that ONE project. There are too many books out there that show you how to build a car, and explain the tools in terms that would only really help in buildind a car and not learning the tools.

Nemoid
06-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Oh, ...btw we are writing the new manual (shhh) so I will work on it... :)

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.