PDA

View Full Version : PEN attribute holder "issues"

JHN
12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
This thread is probably best answered by Paul himself, but feel free to jump in..
I'm adding CA's through mxs and the controls I add there are not picked up by the PEN_Attribute_Holder 2 mxs plugin, If I add spinners alone they do not pickup. When ramping a value in it even crashes. I would like to know if I can and may modify the script so it will pickup other UI elements and if so how can I best approach the problem?

Thanks!
-Johan

PEN
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Can you send me a file as PAH picks up all attributes, it can't tell what is a spinner or slider as it isn't looking at the UI but the parameters and a float is a float. It will grab the state of any parameter and store it so I don't know why it is failing. Are the parameters animatable that you have added?

Glad to see so many people still using that tool.

JHN
12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Paul, thanks for answering, by trying to get a sample out I saw that I made a mistake by not having some parameters declared ok, the script CA's did evaluate and where build, but the parameters where not connected to the spinners, when saving out a preset it wrote out a file that was not ended correctly (leaving a open curly brace) and PAH crashed on importing it. Also crashed when ramping the slider. But it's my own error...

One thing I did notice is that key all only keys when in autokey mode, is this on purpose?

Thanks! And yes we're looking into using it more in out custom setups.

-Johan

PEN
12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes key all only keys when Auto Key is on. This was for simplicity sake also to make sure that the animators didn't make a mess of the animation thinking that it worked like set key does.

If you ever open up that script you will find that it is very old and I'm sure not written well. I wrote that back in Max 4 and have only touched it when ever it needed an update to keep it running. One of these days I will complete PAH 3 and release it, I think that every one will like the changes and updates that I have made as it is 100% all new. I need to see if I can make it compatible with PAH 2 how ever so that old files will work with it.

JHN
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
If I can suggest a feature for it.. then it would be that there was going to be some way to select which channels are included in ramping up the slider, I know it's probably not doable, but when some selection only pose ramping could be added it would be great!

-Johan

PEN
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
It will be setup so that you can define groups of attributes and save poses only to those. As well the pose data will now be an external file so it can be shared very easily in production. This will be formated as XML data so you can open it in note pad to make changes if you wanted.

JHN
12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
That sounds great! I will be hanging on to your RSS then :)

-Johan

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.