PDA

View Full Version : 1st image from Sony's "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"

anishmations
12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Sony's given out their 1st image from "Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs"

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/11170/_1228819762.jpg

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-Cloudy-With-A-Chance-Of-Meatballs-Image-11170.html

kwabbott
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Pretty generic considering the reasonably strong style of the book itself. You'd think they want to make a recognizable visual statement.

<Yawns>

blenderhead
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Is that a feature? Those visuals are weak; I doubt they could carry a whole feature. Maybe a short.

Come to think of it, most shorts I see have better visuals than that.

pseudoE
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Is that a feature? Those visuals are weak; I doubt they could carry a whole feature. Maybe a short.

at first I thought you wrote "I see better visuals in my shorts" :beer:

Papa Lazarou
12-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Pretty harsh. My opinion is you probably don't know what you're talking about.

Looks decent enough to me, and I have confidence in Sony's ability to deliver quality visuals, if nothing else.

Venkman
12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I kind of like the style, but I would have loved to see this movie in live action, even if it was only 20 minutes long. The book had such hyper detailed drawings.

That book always made me hungry.

guero
12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
To me it looks horrible but then again i'm 30 and this is not aimed at me but at children so what does it matter what i think.

eyesonlybob
12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I personally like that Sony never sticks to one particular style of a movie. Every movie they've put out is drastically different. Just compare Surfs up to Monster House to this.

Look at any Pixar movie and you can tell it's a Pixar movie. There is always something similar. I'm not saying that this is bad. It's just an interesting comparison.

Capel
12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I'd be surprised if the final look of the movie is anywhere near this quality. When you look at Monster House and Surf's Up there's just no comparison. Those movies were gorgeous and this image looks like a tiny step above Jimmy Neutron quality. Maybe it's an early image. Also, the design of the characters just is not all that appealing to me. Like some guy that's decent at drawing but not great did the concept art.

oh well, just have to wait and see...

agreenster
12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Kinda reminds me of the first publicity still for Horton:

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2006/09/15/horton-hears-who-first.jpg

XminusOne
12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
It's different looking from a lot of the other films put out, that's good thing in my opinion, i'll wait until I see more before I comment on this. I will say though, it looks interesting. But saying an entire film will be crap because of one still is ridiculous. Negative attitudes get you far in life.

Breinmeester
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I won't believe this is a production still. Look at his unposed hands, how their eyeline doesn't connect and the weak lines of action, to name only the most obvious and unignorable signs. It's probably from a very good student film or something.

Rick May
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I won't believe this is a production still. Look at his unposed hands, how their eyeline doesn't connect and the weak lines of action, to name only the most obvious and unignorable signs. It's probably from a very good student film or something.

I believe this image was released by Sony themselves. So, I highly doubt it is a student film. :)

I like the image. It is different. To see a variety of looks in CG films is a good thing, not bad. It almost feels like cutouts or stopmo to me.

I'm eager to see more. I've always been a fan of what Imageworks has done and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

SevenOfEleven
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Looks interesting.

I wonder more about the story, have read/looked at the book and its not a full length novel. Probably less than 20 pages I guess. Its no Harry Potter or Prince Caspian.

Basically the story goes: People lived in a place, food came from the sky. People got used to it but the weather got worse and finally people had to leave.

So my question is, if you are going to do a movie based on a short children's picture book, how can you generate a normal movie's time worth of content that feels natural to the story and does not feel like its padded with extra stuff?

At least with a short, you can tell the story and be done but with a $10/$12 or higher price point movie viewers will want their money's worth.

Even if the animation is fine, if they screw up with the story, its not going to be good.

If Sony does a good job I would go see it. Being able to see pork chops floating in the sky or raining down would be great.

Per-Anders
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
I like it, it's good to see someone making a film with character design that's not the generic cardboard head look. As for how can they extend a short book into a film? - The best films are made from the shortest stories, anything longer than 10 pages and you're going to be leaving reams of stuff out or confusing the viewer - or chances are the original had a lot of fluff and could easily be shortened down to about 10 pages or less. Short stories like this are the perfect length.

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.