PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball: Evolution

Kwe
12-15-2008, 05:45 AM
the teaser for the live action Dragon Ball movie has FINALLY come out.

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/479331/dragonball-evolution/videos/dragonball_int_trlrc_121108.html

reactions????

as a fan of the series since 1993 that fell off the wagon after the Frieza saga, i'm EXTREMELY disappointed with what i'm seeing. everything looks cheap and the characters have been changed quite a bit. Fox won't be getting my money for this exploitation. my dreams of seeing an epic Dragon Ball movie will remain just dreams. it's amazing that Fox originally wanted to release this in August (4 months ago).

Ilive
12-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Looks like garbage! Utter Garbage!

I'm sorry after I saw Chow Yun Fat in Bulletproof Monk which this looks like I don't need to see him in any more Kung Fu based movies. That is just sick.

It's like they forced putting that particular Asian as master Yoshi.
It's like they have a list of two 3 Asian guys to use in movies. Jackie, Jet and Fat. Lame!

Then you have cut Krillin out of the mix. WTF? Why do you have to put in some surfer dude best friend and cut Krillin of all people? That in itself is another stupid move.

When are movie execs going to get it? They keep gambling their money away and end up causing the exact thing they tried to avoid. Stick to the source material. Do not stray and keep it as close as possible as the original. That is where you'll make your money.

I know they want to make it for the general audience but that is where they go wrong.
Make it mainly for the fans. Cause the fact is if the fans don't really like it the general audience will be "Well those nerds didn't like it so why would we even like it?"

And that Kamehameha......sucked. No passion. I mean in both the English and Japanese anime it's like a total scream and really dramatic like it is taking everything Gokou has to do.
This dude sounds like he's having a conversation and weak.

j00st81
12-15-2008, 08:18 AM
auch... sorry to say I never had much hope the moment I heard it was live action (my brother still swears its gonna be awesome), if it where done CG entirely it could've been a blast if done right

Sonk
12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
the teaser for the live action Dragon Ball movie has FINALLY come out.

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/479331/dragonball-evolution/videos/dragonball_int_trlrc_121108.html

reactions????

as a fan of the series since 1993 that fell off the wagon after the Frieza saga, i'm EXTREMELY disappointed with what i'm seeing. everything looks cheap and the characters have been changed quite a bit. Fox won't be getting my money for this exploitation. my dreams of seeing an epic Dragon Ball movie will remain just dreams. it's amazing that Fox originally wanted to release this in August (4 months ago).

ahahaha..that made me lol, and then it just made me cry, they pretty much killed DragonBall for me personally...

Galo
12-15-2008, 09:42 AM
i had great hopes for the movie, but now i've seen this..., this is just sad, real sad ...

DDS
12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
plain awesomeness for my eyes :rolleyes:

the series just set the bar too high...

alvin-cgi
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
hair style looks wrong to me... :p

Geta-Ve
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Ya I was pretty disapointed but not for the reasons most others were. I expected changes, Krillin, while sad that he is gone, is understandable considering his height, Fat as Roshi COULD have worked had he been either bald or had grey hair with a beard. Actually most things could have worked out fairly well had they not turned things generic and cliche, IE the hair (shorter hair would have sufficed), the high school setting, even changing Goku's overall personality seems like a bad idea in my opinion. (From what I could see of the trailers at least).

But the worst, the absolute worst was the acting. Dear god those lines were about as well read as a dog performing shakespear, or any play for that matter...

*shrug* I had hopes that it could have at least been a pretty good action flick, but now I doubt it will be a pretty good anything.

ragdoll
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
that's so wrong...it feels like mortal kombat for some reason...the trailer is not working for me...

P_T
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I bet you those are the best bits too in the trailer. :D

They got a material that would be great for CG animated and they make live action. You can't turn DB into live action and still be DB. And the choice of cast...

Cast a Caucasian as Vash from Trigun would've been just fine, heck you can even cast the whole Cowboy Bebop crew with Caucasian actors, but a white Goku?!? It's as stupid as that Indian superman on youtube... only this time it's Hollywood insted of Bollywood.

TAVO
12-15-2008, 04:02 PM
it is just me or the vfx look really cheap ?? im not an expert or master for that matter buut some scenes just look really bad..(the green screen in most cases)

VirtualFM
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
It's really disappointing...

Besides the obvious bad decisions that other people already pointed out, like Krilin missing or Goku in High School (Krilin is a major part in everything in the DragonBall Universe. In first place, he's the best friend of Goku, then he is a sort of "reality check" between Goku's innocence and the real life. Besides... Krilin dies! And if I remember correctly that even is the main reason that lead Goku to win the Piccolo saga).. as I was say8ing, besides those obvious mi-steps, there is the characterization that is way off... Goku's hair could be much better and how hard would that be to make Yun-Fat Chow bald and grow a beard?! And the worse: there was no money to dye Bulma's hair of green or blue?!

I saw YouTube's Fan trailers better than this in terms of character concepts: Goku's hair was way better and the hottest girl as Bulma with decent green hair.

Last but not least, Son Goku never said anything like "Cool"...

Sil3
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks like a cheap Sunday morning retarded show like Power Rangers (and its variations) :rolleyes:

Jadetiger
12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Is this a joke? This trailer looks like a big budget prank. I'm not a dragon ball fan, but this is just wrong. If you took out the actual dragon balls from that commercial and showed that trailer to a fan, they would have no idea what that was. Can't wait to not see this one.

GatorNic
12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
what a big turd. although I do love Jamie chung...mmmm

Ilive
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I bet you Gokou is not even a Saiyan or Alien! That is just sick!

Kwe
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
well apparently the movie will end with Piccolo revealing that Goku is an alien from another planet, but i can't believe this Chatwin dude being an alien...or even a martial artist. he looks like a skater boy to me.

BigPixolin
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
LOL @ dragon balls.

CHRiTTeR
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
what the f*ck was that :|

ViCoX
12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Looks like a cheap Sunday morning retarded show like Power Rangers (and its variations) :rolleyes:
Power Rangers are cool compaired to this! : )
Kids are probably going to love this one, though.

DuttyFoot
12-15-2008, 10:12 PM
when i saw the trailer at the theaters i almost choked on my raisinets, lol
are they joking. they need to go back to the drawing board. i think mortal kombat was better than this. the characters are just wrong especially roshi and goku. i second the fact krillin is missing. Kamehameha!! what Kamehameha, is that what that weak sound from that dudes voice was supposed to be saying. how freaking lame. movies like this should go through a review board from the fans, lol.
what a joke
i loved the dbz series. they should just do this whole movie in cg and forget about those actors. will they even make enough money to pay these guys.

Michael5188
12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I feel Dragonball would benefit greatly as being photorealistic CG (beowulf). This way they could have designed and made the characters as they'd seen fit.

Not to mention I'm sure over half the film consists of CG doubles.

DuttyFoot
12-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I feel Dragonball would benefit greatly as being photorealistic CG (beowulf).

couldn't agree with you anymore. they could have even done it in the style of ff7 advent children

Geta-Ve
12-16-2008, 03:41 AM
The funny thing is that you have to do so many things WRONG in order to fail at dragonball that it is shocking they didn't get ANYTHING right.. (Well they did but the point still stands)

One would have thought that it would have been super easy for anyone that has read the manga, or even at the very least watched the show (I think reading the manga takes a hell of a lot less time) decisions would have been a no brainer, but there are things in here that just.. boggle my mind.

I see no reason why this couldn't have been as epic as the Narnia flicks or even LOTR if it was taken seriously enough.. Heck it could have even matched the matrix, and that ain't HARD (at least in terms of 2 and 3).

Oh well, heres to hoping for a Hulk/08-like remake.

Digiegg
12-16-2008, 04:26 AM
HAHAHAHAHA holy crap!
Wow... that just looks silly....
I won't even watch this on DVD... hollywood these days...

Ilive
12-16-2008, 04:32 AM
couldn't agree with you anymore. they could have even done it in the style of ff7 advent children That would have been really cool.

So let's see
No Krillin

Master Roshi sucks (Jackie and Jet not available so get fat)

Gokou is weak. He doesn't have to be asian as he is an Alien but.....kamehameha I felt so moved by that scream.

Picolo what the heck? Couldn't do something like the Hulk and at least give the fool some antennas!?

Missing the talking animals? Why, they wold have been cool. I mean we live in the age of CG!? Why can't there be talking animals?

Bulma and Chi Chi are hot so that is the only plus.

I think this is Speed Racer part 2. 100 million dollrs for 10 million at the box office!

The property is HOT but Hollywood screws up again. When will they learn to stick with the source. Haven't they learned it works?

BATMAN
SPIDERMAN
XMEN
LOTR
Harry Potter
heck even TRANSFORMERS
IRon Man
Twilight

And when you leave the source

Speedracer
Final Fantasy Spirits Within
Godzilla
Catwoman
etc

You usually fail. You alienate the fans and when you alienate the fans and they don't even like it normal people won't even take a look at it.

kdubayoo
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
This looks like an abortion of a movie. It's embarrassingly bad. I concur with others, should have been done in CG... like this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=707397

DuttyFoot
12-16-2008, 03:45 PM
that dudes Freiza image is sick

P_T
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
This looks more like Dragonball: Mutation than Evolution to me. It also looks like they use the original Spike's prosthetic vampire makeup from Buffy only painted green. :scream:

Galo
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
couldn't agree with you anymore. they could have even done it in the style of ff7 advent children

Well aint that something for cgtalk todo ? c'mon work together make this happen :P or a challenge or something

Ilive
12-19-2008, 08:07 PM
The Way it should have been done

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g82/151382/151382_1229206590_medium.jpg

or

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=84000

Vossil
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Looks absolutely ghastly. Hopefully whichever exec's child whos father saw them watching Dragonball and thought to bring it to Hollywood will emancipate themselves from their horribly misguided parent out of penance to the fans.

Does anyone know what kind of role if any Toriyama had in this "movie".

doctorx256
12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
such a wonderful anime turning out to be such a horrible movie.
I did not like any of the characters. The sets and the lighting were awful and i think the script will not follow what Tokiyama had in mind when creating db. I thought a movie about db should be with 3d characters instead of real people if the wanted to follow the heavy body deformations that the characters in the original anime had.

Simply puts, it seems that the movie
SIMPLY SUCKS....

I am disgusted with the movie trailer :shrug:

FabioMSilva
02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
they killed my childhood

plus, the worst VFX since mortal kombat II. can u believe this movie has 120 million dollar budget? it's almost as much as transformers, and a lot more than lord of the rings

Toriyama says he looks forward to watch the movie. They must have drugged the poor man

ice-boy
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
120 millions? i dont think so.

ZacD
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm still gonna see it no matter how sucky it will be..

JackZhang
02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
i decide not to see this movie.

FabioMSilva
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
120 millions? i dont think so.

Dragonball Evolution

Movie Info

Genre

Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Release Date

April 08, 2009
MPAA Rating

PG
Production Budget

$100 millions
Studio

The 20th Century Fox

----

it's outdated tho. It was originally going to be 100 million, but somehow they managed to pull of more 20.

FabioMSilva
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
i decide not to see this movie.

me2
for 2 good reasons
1- dont wanna ruin my childhood
2- dont want to feed with my money further fiascos like this(they already had more movies planned geez)

and if somone tells me "ah u should give it a chance. u can only complain after u watch it". Well... i've seen the trailers...those are bad...really bad...bad as bad can get. and normally trailers are a lot better than the actual movies most of the times so...

luv2xlr8
03-02-2009, 06:20 AM
not worth my time ....

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2009, 06:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.