PDA

View Full Version : Character: Skater Animation

importon
06-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I recently graduated from college and I'm currently in the process of finding a job. The demo reel is comming soon. In the mean time I thought you all would like to check out a little animation i've been working on. This was my first 3d character i did back in school but i didnt have a chance to render him out until recently. Its still a work in progress. it needs sound, and there are a couple of other scenes that go along with it that still need rendering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Robert

Click to watch the animation (http://www.theleroy.com/SkaterModelSheet2.html)

http://www.theleroy.com/Bilzow.0552.jpg
http://www.theleroy.com/BilzowAgian.jpg

LoneLobo
06-20-2003, 02:22 PM
wahooo, this is an awesome piece of work!

extremly realistic moves and habits of the board and the skater itself!

and the leading of the camera reminds of most of the real videos, everything is great, you get 5 stars from me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[e] whoops, i forgot something: nice choice of tricks, especially the combination of no comply with the wheelies and the inward heelflip at the end \o/

EvilBasterd
06-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Great animation man!!

Great timing!!

The animation really fits to the personality of the character!!

Keep it up:thumbsup:

Riptyde
06-20-2003, 02:34 PM
This ROCKS!! Great capture of movement. Keep up the good work.

Just curious, did you film someone doing those tricks and then animate accordingly (please don't take that as an insult to your ability to animate) because they look really good.

Riptyde

knormish
06-20-2003, 02:36 PM
as a skater myself, amazing. the environment is sweet.:eek: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

RiotManZ
06-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Man, this is soooo cool!!!!:buttrock: You really got the moves of a real skater.. makes me wanna go skate. If you have some time for it put some sounds on the animation. BTW this guy´s a real good skater (360 flip to nose bluntslide).

Give us more:xtreme:

RaGzMaN
06-20-2003, 02:47 PM
wow...i dont usually comment when i look at things but dude, this rocks!!!!

1: Have you got anymore renders, playblasts, stills from this or anything other that you have done that you can show us?

2: Are you a skater

3: What software was used

4: How long have you been using ^ for?

If I had to give it a crit or suggestion, i would say that its for the camera.....I love the movements but it could have, tru skater film style, a fish eye roundness effect to it, do you know what i mean.

Im not sure how you would do this in 3d, perhaps with a raytraced reflected sphere infront of the camera or perhaps even do it in post..

Anyways..Great work man...looking forward to more of your work on this fellow :buttrock:

:beer:

p.s 5 stars for you

eric P
06-20-2003, 03:12 PM
kick ass:thumbsup: :buttrock: did you have seen a video tape call
"AREA02"??

importon
06-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the feedback everyone. This forum is way better than the other one i posted on. I got more replys here in 20 min than i did in 5 days on the other one. :bounce:

Riptyde: I did bite certian movements from videos of pros for some of the tricks but of course exagerated it and made sure that i turned the movement into a trick that (as far as i know)nobody has ever done before. for example, i referenced a 360 kickflip from footage of Christian Svitak but turned it into a backside 270 kickflip to b/s noseblunt side.

RaGzMan: 1: Yes i do have other renders, stills, and playblasts that i can show you. they will be in my demo reel which should be done very soon. I will be sure to post a link to it here after the great response i got from everyone so far.

2: Yes i do skate. (i try to at least)

3: Maya, photoshop, and AfterEffects were the software used.

4: I've been usung maya for about 2&1/2 years

Its funny that you make that suggestion about the camera being pointed at a sphere because that was originally my plan, however i had to change it when i realized how long it was going to take to render (about 25 min a frame for all the passes). take a look. Another bounce for the raytraced reflections just would have been to expensive.

http://www.theleroy.com/Breakdown.jpg

BgDM
06-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Stunning! Character movements are awesome. Board movements are fantastic and the camera work is flawless.

Just all around great work.

If I had a post count high enough to give you 5 starts, I would.:thumbsup:

BgDM

XbradleyX
06-20-2003, 04:53 PM
WOW! Indeed. Defintely deserves front page. Rob is a great animator... as you can tell. I worked with Rob on a year long project, he has great vision and an incredible work ethic and fun to work with. Keep up the great work Rob!

-Bradley

www.bradisrad.com

samartin
06-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Nothing to crit, love the style, and fluidity of the movements are top notch ??? sure there's no motion capture in there...

stipen
06-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Impressive:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup: :applause:

rlph.
06-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Based on my own experience and all the skate videos i have seen you have captured the movement perfectly! well done! i'd love to see more of this now! :D

apuente
06-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Importon........ that is an awesome animation, big Congrats!!!!!!!

By the way, which plugin did you use to render this anim?

Keep it up..... :applause: :bounce: :beer: :drool: :airguitar :thumbsup:

melmann
06-20-2003, 05:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: great stuff!

warmup
06-20-2003, 05:40 PM
wow!!!, you have a good perception of time, the movement is realy good.
Keep your good job!!! shocking,no doubt that you find soon a good job.:thumbsup:

UnlikelyCorny
06-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Wow, great animation, not in the least due to the excellent character and rendering. Everything fits...Love to see more.

otacon
06-20-2003, 06:37 PM
EXCELLENT!!:thumbsup: you have a very good eye for motion and camera movement.;)

fluxgrafx
06-20-2003, 07:52 PM
heyman...this is great...let me start off...awesome job...BUT, this is all i have to say. Mike Vallely ring a bell....Label Kills I belive????? That is a one and only Mike V. signature trick. I've seen most of these moves in current vids, i mean literally. I think the 360 flip to b/s noseblunt side...thats original. as well as that volcano metal setup. curves curves....awesome stuff man. i have some up and coming myself.

mattmos
06-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Wow. Very impressed. Where did you study, and how long for?
Do you know what yer doing next?

Nice one :beer:

cbutlerc
06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
This is freaking awesome :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

It reminds back when I watched skate videos.
The movements are perfect. The camera moves and motion is right on.

I love that you even put the little finger twtiches in when he is about to do some tricks.

5 star from me.

Looking forward to you Demo

antonio_ns
06-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Whoa. Very cool. hope you don't have a problem finding work. It's about time someone did a skate animation. I remember when I used to do 360 flip to nose blunt slide...... in my dreams.

Meka
06-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Dooood !
as an ex-skater i can also say that this rocks... worthy of professionnal skater vids :buttrock:

if ya could add sound it would kill everything :)

awsome work, really inspiring :beer:

qu2k
06-20-2003, 08:46 PM
that guy is uh... really damn good

tomokazu
06-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Wooooooooooo!!!
Very Veryyy nice:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mv
06-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Excellent.. colors, animation, camera.. :buttrock:

Error
06-20-2003, 10:30 PM
S K A T E B O A R D E R S . R U L E !

smoke
06-20-2003, 10:47 PM
:applause:
Execellent, wouldn't change a thing.
The camera moves are some of the most realistic I've seen.

RaGzMaN
06-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Cheers for the answers,

If I had a post count high enough to give you 5 starts, I would anyone can vote, its at the bottom of the screen..

As for the sphere trick, can anyone think of a way to perhaps fisheye the camera in post?

kebabflott
06-21-2003, 12:02 AM
as an ex skater all i can say is " WOOHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA" :thumbsup:

but he seems to be leaning a bit to far out when he's doing that blunt slide..but i dont know.

webfox
06-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Um... what fluxgrafx said.

Really well done. Very, very believable animation. Thanks for sharing it.

ingramworks
06-21-2003, 12:52 AM
just added my praise, excellent animation and modelling!

aenema
06-21-2003, 01:03 AM
wow, this is a totally kick ass animation! add some music/sound and it will be even better! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

iNFERNiS
06-21-2003, 02:16 AM
top notch :thumbsup:

Tim Deneau
06-21-2003, 03:31 AM
I wasn't aware so many people here skated... Looks great man, the little details like the fingers twitching adds a lot to the animation. The camera angles are also nice.

Please post more when you get the chance.

Sez
06-21-2003, 04:25 AM
Oh la la!!

This is really cool! I loved the cartoon style with the awesome tricks you created! Nothing to say except that I would maybe render some more angle shots and move the camera were you usually can't! Might be time consumming but in the end would kick ass! Like it was said earlier in, if you add in some sound it's the total!

Great job, hope to see more!

:beer: :buttrock:

Sk8er rulez!

fluxxx
06-21-2003, 04:54 AM
;) ;) ;) great work

camera moving looks good !

importon
06-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks agian everybody for all the great comments. :love:

Rojo: Ya, that is cool that alot of people here skate. Suprised me too

kebabflott: Do you mean he is leaning a bit far out to the right during the blutslide or towards the camera?

m@: All of my friends thought my color corection was lame, but i stuck with it. Im glad someone else likes it.

samartin: Definetly no motion capure. Iwish Ihad my own mocap studio!

apuente: Thanks! I used mental ray for the pass direcly in the middle of my breakdown images and a GI hack plugin called "Sky" for the pass under that one that looks like a giant, ambient-lit, white room.

fluxgrafx: I'm glad you liked it, and yes, i was inspired by Mike V.'s part in Lable Kills for that kick-your-board-away-and-let-it-spin-befor-jumping-back-on sort of trick. what can i say? its a cool trick!

mattmos: I went to The Savannah College Of Art And Design for three years as a transfer student. They have top-knotch facilities. however, Idont recomend taking classes there for computer art. You will learn alot more just by reading this forum. They do have awsome equipment though. That was one of the main reasons i stayed there.

m-greenwood
06-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Fantastic work.
I have one question, did you meticulously block out the whole sequence with key poses and then go through in several passes to work out all the secondary animation on the various parts of the body, or did you go at this 'straight ahead' and then clean up your timing after?
I'd be interested to know.
Simply great stuff though, can't wait to see more.
Cheers.

AWAKE
06-21-2003, 10:26 AM
HOT.

So so hot.

Nice work..

ThirdEye
06-21-2003, 11:23 AM
As a skate lover i have to say you've perfectly captured the skating mood, fantastic work on the animation too![Plugged] :thumbsup:

TylerHunter
06-21-2003, 11:24 AM
that was one of the most impressive pieces of animation Ive seen in some time, wowie, 5 stars all the way,

Tyler

samartin
06-21-2003, 11:26 AM
OOPPSSS !!! Sorry wasn't meant to come across as implying you were using MoCap, you are so damn near the fluidity of someone skating I meant it as a compliment... :applause:

enzodiac
06-21-2003, 11:28 AM
that looked so real !! almost as if you had taken the background from a film, great work here !

Breinmeester
06-21-2003, 11:33 AM
BRILLIANT!!:eek:

I had the idea of doing a skater too, but haven't got the skills. This is awesome!!:airguitar

BnE
06-21-2003, 11:44 AM
this is really great! i think there are some movements that lack counteraction, but the whole anim is just great! could you explain a little bit more what are each of the pass pictures you posted and how you did use them? i don't understand the difference between the third and last one... the third one seems to be shadows shading, but what is the last one, speculars, ambiant?
and once again great work i love the movements! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Pixalkiller
06-21-2003, 11:45 AM
sweet - although - wouldn't he probably have his mouth open a little bit?

goodlag
06-21-2003, 12:39 PM
WOW:thumbsup: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Execellent!

lildragon
06-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Exceptionally well done, great timing, very very nice poses and just all around awesome. Love it

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Rodi
06-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Im not a big skating fan, but this is inspiring stuff man, good luck with the future...

Phwhitfield
06-21-2003, 01:07 PM
This is realy nice!

I love skateboarding :-)

His movements are pretty realistic. (if you forget about the tricks he is performing...)

I love his manual ups ths thing to bs shove-it :-) Great thing

watched for about 15 times now. That's it, i have to get out --->grabbing skateboard and gone

Gotham
06-21-2003, 01:09 PM
What can I say?!?!?!?

Maybe only.... At 9 second he accelerate... With no physics reason.

Nakalay
06-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Superb :applause:
Nice moves!

rquinn
06-21-2003, 01:18 PM
the most amazing anim work i have seen in a while

steverage
06-21-2003, 01:31 PM
This ****ing OWNS m8!!

I sk8 too and so expected to spot flaws in it, but Goddam! The movement is spot on!!!

Very, very impressed!! Do more :D

Also, send to Birdhouse (Tony Hawks Co.) u might get on to the next THPS game ;)

rquinn
06-21-2003, 01:34 PM
so em where is the camera man in the reflections on the buildings? lol
I'd like to know how you gave the window that unperfect look like the distortion of the reflections in them

shimra
06-21-2003, 02:14 PM
really nice work. the camera angles remind me of the skate boarding vids i used to watch with my brother. love to see more of it.:buttrock:

jjmonore
06-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Hello, I have been watching this board. It is very good. This short is looks really really good. There is one thing:( ?! This is right from the video!!! I've seen this from on the internet!!! Did you know?! Well you can see!! I think it's a lot more also that was copied!!!!

Black Label (http://www.massmachine.com/BlackLabel-LabelKills.avi)

Hey!!!

I did bite certian movements from videos of pros for some of the tricks but of course exagerated it and made sure that i turned the movement into a trick that (as far as i know)nobody has ever done before. for example, i referenced a 360 kickflip from footage of Christian Svitak but turned it into a backside 270 kickflip to b/s noseblunt side.

barrywhittleuk
06-21-2003, 02:38 PM
hi i like your style work m8 i just graduated myself form BA hon in comp animation in south wales. check out my stuff at www.welshanimator.co.uk

whats your web address m8?

fishhead
06-21-2003, 02:39 PM

So many comments already - but couldn´t help to add another one:

simply fantastic, thats one of the best pieces of animation I have seen in a while:drool:

great camera, brilliant movements - just WOW...

swag
06-21-2003, 03:15 PM
u got it - nice style - nice movement and a bad ass cam - :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

importon
06-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Wow! this is really an honor. I had no idea people would like it so much. The response has been overwhelming. Thanks everybody.
-Robert:bounce:

m_greenwood: The truth is did a little of both. for some parts i felt like it was easier to do pose to pose and for others it made sense to just straight ahead it and set a big mess of keyframes. it was a big learning experience for me.

samartin: i figured you did. i still wish i had my own mocap studio.

BnE: i agree about some parts lacking conteraction. im always trying to improve my wieght and overlap. reguarding the passes, you are right. the third one is my mental ray final gather pass that gives me the shadows. I slap that ontop of the color pass(1st image) with a multiply function, and the image at the bottom
is the pass i uses to highten the sunshine by using the color dodge function in my compositing program.

Pixalkiller: he does have his mouth open at times however very briefly.

jjmonore: Nothing gets by you guys.

barrywhittleuk: mcrobertintosh@hotmail.com

barrywhittleuk
06-21-2003, 03:41 PM
hi barry here again

what software did u use to create your work and are you currently looking for work and is so where to

cheers

importon
06-21-2003, 03:49 PM
barrywhittleuk; I used maya, photoshop, and after effects. Yes, i am currently looking for work. I need to finish my reel first but i would really like to move to san fransisco and work at any one of the great studios out there like ILM, Pixar, or Giant. But thats kind of a pipedream for someone whis trying to break into the indusrty

SpaceJASE
06-21-2003, 04:13 PM
That was wicked cool, man.
Don't rush it, but fork over the reel!
Need more!

dflipb
06-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Man, I am so glad you finished that work. I was so excited about seeing it when you presented it at the show as a WIP. It's good to see it with some finished renders!! As Always great animation!!! Good luck with the reel and job offers!!!

Mark:beer:

barrywhittleuk
06-21-2003, 04:23 PM
hi m8 just looking again at your work it looks like youve used an actual skateboarding film as footage but it is good try and get much more weight into the arms

Reality3D
06-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Very soft camera movements :)

wtnyc
06-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Can't wait to see the painfull wipeout shots... ala bluetorch and real-TV that would really get attention! :buttrock:

seantree
06-21-2003, 06:15 PM
hehe, gonna watch it a few more times to grab all of the tricks, but that vid is dope!! I love the manual shove-it shit. great stuff. gimme more.

Grooveholmes
06-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Man.. All your giving us is that one little clip!? Show more show more!:drool:

taboo
06-21-2003, 07:02 PM
i am a skater, and i must tell you.. great session man.!
you rad.

onelung
06-21-2003, 07:49 PM
very impressive, no job... thats a pitty. if i had any crit the only thing i can think of is the bottom of the board could be destaturated... but still a beautiful piece, can't wait for the reel. good luck.

Bullseye
06-21-2003, 07:54 PM
After watching your animation several hundred times, I've gotta say its unbelievable true to life movements. I do have one comment after watching it many many times over and over, I see some popping of joints in the legs from time to time during the movements. Also some semi harsh folds near the knee joints. I'm sure your still polishing everything up at this point, but just thought I've give my critique.

Other than that.......Great stuff man!!!

Royal
06-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Just have to agree, this is excellent :thumbsup:
Love your timing and the camerawork. The only thing that bothered me is the cameracut somewhere in the middle, might wanna polish that some.

kebabflott
06-21-2003, 08:07 PM
i had wrote this long an very explaining answer but i couldnt post..so now im on another comp and trying agian. yes, he leans to far to the right(cameras point of view). The bench looks so smooth an really "slidable". if he did that in real life i think he would have faceplanted the bench.
and again, really great. i've watched it over and over again, awsome work.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

igorstshirts
06-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Cuzzin... How's he going to no-comply to manual, shove to nose wheelie and end up nollie flipping varial out?!!! SIIIIICK. Super fluid movement bro.:buttrock:

Indavisual
06-21-2003, 08:41 PM
That bleepin rules!! :drool:
Keep up the good work.

Tom N.
06-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by igorstshirts
Cuzzin... How's he going to no-comply to manual, shove to nose wheelie and end up nollie flipping varial out?!!! SIIIIICK. Super fluid movement bro.:buttrock:

psssh, been there, done that.

lol yeah right.. i wish haha. I've been skateboarding for 6 years now and I gotta say that was the best animation I've ever seen on these forums! the flips and movement was so life-like. I also like how you got the camera views low to the ground in some parts like most skateboarding videos do. I love the part where he jumps off and runs with the after the board, it was such good animation. more more we want more!!

-Tom N.

PS(edit) - I just read some of the first posts.. come on now, no one has ever seen Rodney Mullen 270 flip to bs noseblunt? The man could do it with a stick up his butt! lol

REZI-st
06-21-2003, 09:07 PM
amazing animation :buttrock: SK8 IS GR8 :buttrock: moves and ride is absolutely wonderful :applause: :drool: SK8 RULEZZZZ :love:

davids
06-21-2003, 09:53 PM
amazing animation! the movements are dead on! nice job:thumbsup:

DeathCarrot
06-21-2003, 10:04 PM
just incredible, this clip is def one of my all time favs from cgtalk:thumbsup:

fluxgrafx
06-21-2003, 10:10 PM
oh man dude. it is rotoed. i knew it. in this case espeically, i see very little difference between plagerising someones words and someones actions. Mike V is a legend!!! only HE does these 2 tricks on those clips!!! ok, mabey the Gonz does something just as unique. it's an old schol/new schol twist! dont' blantly lie. just footnote that you copied a few parts to make your short better..that's it. lying will get you nowhere. if i see it, others are gonna see it. go for round 2! eheh..speaking of which, who here has seen daewon vs rodney round 2?? man daewon is a genius! smooth this thing out and get the weight corrrect and the physics. you made the bed now lie in it:) peace.

oh yea..btw, the Bert short by Moonsung and that Run Dragon Run by Ricardo, now those ARE some of the best things I've seen up here for animation, no doubt. Althou I did mention that Run Dragon Run had some reminecent looking things, it still is very original, well thought out, and ultimatly is very very good...as is Moonsung's. at the end of my animation class last semester, at the end of the series of them, (AAC character animation classes..sure you heard of em.) Anyhow, one of the 'greats' said something that made me think. learning the tool is such a SMALLLLL part of the big picture in being an animator. so if you have smooth animation...even good physics, that really doesn't mean much of anything. it is when you get beyond this part of your journey as an animator where you begin to show your true colors. it's the ideas..the acting choices....the originality. it's pushing things to new levels. i think you prob get my drift. if this is old news to some of you, sorry you had to read through this. now get back to animating guys!!!(or modeling etc) :) :thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock: :airguitar

Redf
06-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Animation is really fine.I just hate the look.But animation wise excellent.:thumbsup:

MCGrund
06-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Just came back from skateboarding and now I see this animation. Man this is great stuff! It makes me wanna go out again. Too bad that it's already close to midnight.

UnlikelyCorny
06-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by fluxgrafx
oh man dude. it is rotoed. i knew it. in this case espeically, i see very little difference between plagerising someones words and someones actions. .................. you made the bed now lie in it:) peace.

I have not been arround on CGtalk for that long, but I've seen a lot of stuff I would not qualify as original and sometimes the difference between reference material and the final work is such that an ant could crush it, so small.... But in this case something else has happened. This is an original piece of work. For some hard core skatelovers maybe hard to work with since they worship this Mike bloke that much, but in this animation it's not about the moves of a skater since the quality of the performance lies somewhere else all together.
An animator can make a character do a 1440 degree turn easily, if he would want to, something a profesional skater may find a bit of a task. The quality of the animation does not lie in what the charcter does, but wether it fits with the character, the animations' atmospherical quality, rendering etc. etc. Since this mike bloke is no animator, there can be no case of plagerising. Someone who makes a great painting of a horse jumping a fence is not stealing creatively from the horse...

roald
06-22-2003, 12:19 AM
I obey You!
Excellent work!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

MCGrund
06-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
The quality of the animation does not lie in what the charcter does, but wether it fits with the character, the animations' atmospherical quality, rendering etc. etc. Since this mike bloke is no animator, there can be no case of plagerising. Someone who makes a great painting of a horse jumping a fence is not stealing creatively from the horse...
Yeah, I gotta second this. Mike V. is a great and inventive skater one of my favorites btw but using his tricks in an animation quite allright.
I mean what do animators do? they look at some kind of reference material and then try to copy or exagerate it or whatever.
importon did a wonderfull job in creating fluid and realistic skate-movements. And that's what this thread should be about, right?!

d4rk
06-22-2003, 03:05 AM
Hey this is great! The only thing that bothers me is the second camera cut. It seems "unatural". I haven't seen too many skate videos so maybe that is in keeping with that kind of style. Also it needs music:airguitar !!!

I love the character too!

JacobB
06-22-2003, 04:47 AM
Great work man, the flow of your scene reminds me of jamie thomas' part in the etnies-highfive video(classic). Thanks for the treat, there's nothing worse than watching floaty skateboarder animations, well I am sure there are worse things..... anyways!!!

ROCK ON!!!

jab
06-22-2003, 05:19 AM
:buttrock: Rocked

Does anyone else thing this guy should write a tutorial on the rendering style and compositing? Rarely see work like this come out of maya, and as a maya user it is quite inspiring.

xynaria
06-22-2003, 11:32 AM
In some ways I found this worked surprisingly well without sound though it would benefit from it a lot. Loved the look of it immensely and the fluid camera work that didn't come over as at all self concious which most who try this type of thing do, but the cutting jarred for me on at least two occaissions.. are there missing pieces there? Personally I'd say the animation could do with more work, though I still think its a great piece. :) :beer: :beer:

importon
06-22-2003, 12:54 PM
xynaria: no, there are no missing pieces there. its actually been rendered all from the same camera. it just warps from one place to the other in 1 frame. if you frame bt frame it you can see the frame thats blurred out. thanks for your comment!

jab: if i get a good job i promise you i will make a tutorial on my cheap ass rendering style.

twisted-ankle: well siad! get well soon. keep gettin' sick!

UnlikelyCorny: i've also gotta thank you for your support. If homeboy thinks mimicing life is plagerism than the lead animator of yodaon episode II is a dangerous criminal because he actually showed us the movemnts he ripped of for the yoda lightsber battle at sigraph lst year. They are from some kung-fu flick that i cant remember the name of. anyway it was a badass swordfight scene and he very well should have ripped it off. it made for a great action scene. Oh. and good point about the horse!

fluxgrafx: i animated an ollie too you know. Should i put a footnote in there that Alan Gelfand invented the ollie? and what about my run cycle? Do i need to put a footnote in there that i stole it from the first ape that decided to be a biped? Your absolutly right about my wieght and physics though. I used my camera angles to distract the viewer from the lackluster portrail of weight on my part. if i had rendered the animation out from any other camera angle alot more of the flaws would show. like i said before this was my first experience with 3d character animation. Thanks for the feedback. it made for some interesting discusion.

kebabflott: No, actually that bench isnt really smooth. there is a whole bunch of chewed up bubblegum on top that you cant see so he was leaning to the right at exactly the right angle to pull that off. hehe! no but really thanks for watching that with such close attention. I see your point.

Bullseye: you hit it right in the bullseye! I hate the popping of the joints. it drives me crazy! im definetly going to watch out for that more from now on. thanks for the feedback.

onelung: You really didnt like the saturated orange huh? i thought it made a nice contrast to the green. Maybe i've been staring at it too long.

barrywhittleuk: you're right. wieght in the arms is definetly a problem. I was stuck with fk arms for this guy cause he was my first rig. In the future i will do better. Thanks for noticing.

dflipb: Long time no see! what are you up to? gimme an e-mail.

famicom
06-22-2003, 02:20 PM
i love the aesthetic that youve created with this character, a great balance between realistic detail yet stylised exaggeration.

The animation is really fluid and the camera shake in places works really well, well done great work.

unwrap
06-22-2003, 07:40 PM
This is excellent! Excellent character moves, excellent camera moves, X render quality, X environment, X everything!
Will wait for your demo with impatience.
I suggest you making slow motions and time effects.

ninjacore
06-22-2003, 10:21 PM
haha ****!! that blew my tits right off.

the movement and stuff was spot on. it makes me wanna go out for a skate right now!

cant wait for your demo. i like your initial sketch too.

bravo. 5 mutha'n stars! :airguitar

Matthew Moran
06-23-2003, 02:50 AM
hey man you can have the reflected ball effect without the cost of render time if you go into your cameras Attribute Editor under its Film Aspect Ratio. BTW nice work man, i cant stop watching it, really caught the moment. Nice Eye Candy

Matthew Moran
06-23-2003, 03:20 AM
you'll have to mess around with it to get it just right.......obviously. But let me know how it works out for you. There are other ways to trick the cam as well.

izmal
06-23-2003, 07:41 AM
woooaaah!this is the BEST animation that i've seen so far for a skateboarder animation.:applause:
recently i broke my elbow(insert metal plate) coz of skateboarding...but when i watch this animation..it make me wanna skate with my broken elbow.cool moves/tricks and character...
GREAT WORK!:buttrock: :beer:

Kion
06-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Sup! Rob! its Kion

You rocked it! I remember seeing you work on that peice. Nice style, color everything works very well together. Very nice work man.

Kion

dimitrios_c
06-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Its funny that you make that suggestion about the camera being pointed at a sphere because that was originally my plan, however i had to change it when i realized how long it was going to take to render (about 25 min a frame for all the passes). take a look. Another bounce for the raytraced reflections just would have been to expensive.

I saw a tutorial like this in 3D World mag where you point the camera to the reflection in a sphere. You may be able to acheive similar results by mapping a sphere with the actual movie and rendering it...I'm not sure, haven't tried it.

I'm downloading movie now...

Lifthz
06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by importon
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I recently graduated from college and I'm currently in the process of finding a job. The demo reel is comming soon. In the mean time I thought you all would like to check out a little animation i've been working on. This was my first 3d character i did back in school but i didnt have a chance to render him out until recently. Its still a work in progress. it needs sound, and there are a couple of other scenes that go along with it that still need rendering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Robert

Click to watch the animation (http://www.theleroy.com/SkaterModelSheet2.html)

http://www.theleroy.com/Bilzow.0552.jpg
http://www.theleroy.com/BilzowAgian.jpg

You sir... are sick! Animations especially...

dimitrios_c
06-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Awesome animation, pure and simple. Almost matrix like in camera movement. No smiles can describe this. Compositing aint perfect but who cares!

Silvexil
06-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Amazing,

I especially liked how the charecter moves his fingers just before it throughs the board .. it builds anticipation and gives the charecter more life... I am blown away:applause: :applause: :applause:

CuTnPaste
06-23-2003, 09:53 AM
WOW

great camera moving.....and character animation, too.

only the right leg has got away to you....an the end of the animation....

GOOD!GOD!GO!
:bounce:

CuTnPaste

pettles
06-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Holly Crap, this is such a cool clip. Great feel, excellent style. The enviroment and moves really suits.

only crit is that the first ollie looks like he floats a little to much.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rotamus
06-23-2003, 10:09 AM
awsome awsome awsome i love this it looks great !
and i agree the camera movements were stunning

Glowfinger
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
You smashed it, the amin is class!:airguitar

Soterialive
06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Fantastic work man! Truly brilliant! As stated before you must must post a tutorial on some of your animation methods. I was a pretty avid skater in my day and I love what you have done with this; it truly captures the very style of skateboarding vids! It doesnt look like you have missed a thing! Let me ask, how (specifically) did you use camera angles to trick us into thinking the anim was flawless? I am very curious about that. Anyway, I love it and need to see more of it -----now!! hehe

ninjacore
06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
heres a soundtrack suggestion -

Fat F$$k by CKY. i was listning to it whilst watching your vid, and it fits in really well with the general flow of your animation. theres a big riff at the end which suits especially....

just a suggestion tho....:cool: :buttrock:

mihkeltt
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
my only suggestion would be the camera angle - if you have ever wathced skate videos, then they almost alwas use fisheye camera lenses. that would make it a little cooler:)

Soterialive
06-23-2003, 05:16 PM
The "fish eye lens" issue was already addressed. Please read through the entire thread before posting. I dont even know why I just posted that. I dont mean to be mean , but already addressed issues are just a pet peeve of mine I guess. My bad! :wavey:

Soterialive
06-23-2003, 05:33 PM
for the record, that initial ollie onto the box wasnt unrealistic as far as it floating too long. I used to ollie that way; if anything I would say that the way his feet remained planted on the board throughout the ollie was a little unrealistic. But that is nit picky (especially when the animator is most likely already aware of that) and I dont like to nit pick especially on something as well crafted as this.

thjazi
06-23-2003, 06:53 PM
great stuff !!! :buttrock:

agreenster
06-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Uhh.....um........that was......uh.....like........really freakin cool

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

LWManiac
06-23-2003, 10:44 PM
WAAAAAAA :surprised
:bowdown: RESPECT DUDE :bowdown:
really love the filmlook, and camera movement. Best thing i've seen for a long time ...

el_mone
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
UFFF!!!

This is awesome man!!!
Your character have a pro level like a skater, he he he!!!

The feet movement is perfect, I like a lot the illusion of speed of the cameras, lighting...
The balance in the no comply manual is great

Did you some day make that tricks in the board by yourself he he he ???

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Cheers.

importon
06-24-2003, 06:04 PM
thanks agian everyone for your feedback. there were some good suggestions.

Soterialive :"how (specifically) did you use camera angles to trick us into thinking the anim was flawless?" one of the advanteges to 2d animation over 3d animation is that it only has to look good from one angle. me being a newbie to 3d animation when i did this falled to realize that you need to check if your animation looks good from all angles. so when it came time to animate the camera i got a rude awakening. for example i looked at using a camera angle that was alot further in fronttof the skater when he's doing the360 flip to blunt so the viewer could see more of his facial expressions, but i saw that the board looked very unatural while it was spinning. it has sort of a boomerang effect moving towards the glass windows and comming back to him. I can think of at least a dozen more examples of where this happens. the 360 shov-it out being the worst. So i had to find the best angle that hides these kids of errors
Also, the animation is pretty stiff i realized. the "handheld shake" of the camera intanly adds more life to the piece because i believe subconsiously we assume there is a living person behind it. that,i think actually makes the subject that is being filmed looked more alive. Thanks for your comment.

importon
06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Here are a few old test renders
http://www.theleroy.com/test2 copy.jpg

Yukatey
06-24-2003, 07:23 PM
It surprises to see many skaters in CGtalk!
very good work!!

sk8 is not a crime:buttrock: :buttrock:

Matthew Moran
06-24-2003, 08:08 PM
hey man let me know if you tried to go into your Cameras Attribute Editor and mess around with the Film Aspect Ratio. Im curious to know if it helps you out at all. Thanks

rquinn
06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
eric kostonish

Peechylyfe
06-25-2003, 08:54 AM
very impressive! how old are you and have you had any previous careers? i would love to see you Rig for this guy too if you would be willing to share :-) i can swap u a Rig for a skater kid i animated!

great work, keep it up

victor throe
06-25-2003, 11:44 AM
i apologise for not reading all the posts as im sure this has been spotted

but the animation on the hands seem to be an afterthought in places

the y 'feel' really uncomfortable

on occasion they work really well

the typical limp skater wrist to tense mid trick

it just felt the same as when i watch someones first lip synch

too much information in the movements in too little time

love the way he looks back after pulling a trick on the orange arch

so true

would have been even truer if after pulling all these awesome tricks he fell on his face due to the smallest piece of grit stopping his deck in its tracks

jason-slab
06-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Yukatey
It surprises to see many skaters in CGtalk!
very good work!!

yeah i was thinking the same thing

love the camera movements(very dymanic):thumbsup: and how about that 270 filp to b/s noseblunt:surprised

amazing work!!!

you should send it off to 411, maybe u'll get a spoT:D

|jason

izmal
06-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by stal3fish
yeah i was thinking the same thing

love the camera movements(very dymanic)and how about that 270 filp to b/s noseblunt

amazing work!!!

you should send it off to 411, maybe u'll get a spoT

|jason

its a 270flip to b/s noseblunt...and 360 out.its that cool or what? Even Tony Hawk can't do that...this animation RULES!!:buttrock:
*just glad to know that lots of skaters hangout here(cgtalk):wavey:

lmc
06-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Coolz and Nicez...just wanted to ask....are u skater?! haha
:beer:

BenB
07-01-2003, 10:38 AM
I really like the part where he is sort of thinking and palying around with his fingers before he jumps off the board.

MaxParticle
07-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Awesome! :buttrock: Great camera movement and shake - really adds that extra something to the animation! :thumbsup:

urgaffel
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Holy crap, that was an amazing animation. I want more :D Great work there.

LoneLobo
07-01-2003, 09:47 PM
ha, awesome animation, and suuuuuuuuch a long thread!!

a IIIII was the first one to post! *donce* *donce*

sorry, always wanted to do that :D

peTeru
07-14-2003, 03:05 PM
:thumbsup: Really nice !! :thumbsup:
great Work here !
the camera positions are really good !

facial
07-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Wooow interesting work here. Well done.

hopper2k
07-15-2003, 03:51 AM
That is really great. I saw this a while back and since there were so many replies, I figured I should reply my thoughts too. Well, the animation looks freakin real and really cool. Not sure if you answered this yet, but how long did the actual animation take you?

kappa
07-15-2003, 08:02 AM
You will go far. Thats talent. Well done.
Post some more, renderings.

You need to get aome sound added as it's amazing without. Sound will make it that much better if done properly.

cheers
Kappa

olijosman
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Great work !! very good indeed!!;)

PureFire
07-16-2003, 04:54 AM
Id have to say that is the best reel I have ever seen on this board...well done!!!!!!!!!!

Ive watched it like 20 times already

matthew2913
07-16-2003, 07:50 AM
That is some amazing animation. Now all you gotta do is go try that in real life ;)

technogirl28
07-28-2003, 03:12 AM
This is awesome. The movements are quite realistic, and the environment is very cool.

Well done!:beer:

mehdianim
07-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Pretty good although sometimes the character feels weightless on his board. Especially at the end when he runs behind the board and jumps back on... his hips don't really move up or down.
But as a wip I want to see it finished.
Very elegant camera moves though I want to see it finished!!

:wip: go go go

amo_77
08-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Rob, Adam here. It's great to see the skater anim come together! It's incredible. Keep it up. I wanna see more.

By the way, Leroy looks amazing.

- Adam

rquinn
08-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Hey anyone notice he starts out goofie and ends up regular?
wow that guy can either pulle a backside 270 flip to backside noseblunt to 450 pop shove it out
or switch no comply to manual to shovit nosemanual to frontside varial kickflip

RockinAkin
08-08-2003, 05:55 AM
Incredible animation!

The characters sense of weight and balance shifting is expressed flawlessly.

Keep up the GREAT work! :thumbsup:

AirbORn
08-08-2003, 06:41 AM
I haven't had the chance to see the animation because I can't load the screen but looking at the images I love the style you draw in.

I'll be back again after I watch the animation.

theboykidney
08-11-2003, 03:07 PM
|Best thing I have seen in a long time!
it wuda been sweet to get a fisheye effect on the lens, maybe you could leave it rendering when ur on holidays or something?

Jo B.
08-11-2003, 04:13 PM
really good.
really good skater as well.
i miss the slam section.
:surprised

Louman
08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
hey first off, looks awsome from teh shots and what every1 is saying and i want to see it very badly. i used tos kate all the time and would really apriciate this but unfortunatley i can never see divx movies my comp freezes so i was jsut wondering if ud be able to possibly render to some other format like quicktime in the future w/ ur demo reel, not jsut for me but tis a good idea to ahve dif formats. also for the fisheye effect i couldnt read through all posts so dont know if it was said, but u could try using the distort>spherize filter on each frame using an action in photoshop(not sure if aa has this filter) Use a circle selection so it stays within the circle and then just blur out the edges w/ black so it looks like the fisheye lense. jsut an idea:shrug:

UnlikelyCorny
02-26-2004, 11:49 PM
I just realized that this clip is one of the few I still cherish, it's my all time favorite. Any chance of seeing what has happened since?

Da'Dexx
02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Link no work for me 8(

theboykidney
02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Da'Dexx - much like UnlikelyCorney, its one of my all time favourites as well, so much so in fact, that i kept my own copy:
http://www.neilk.com/files/CCGreen.rar

enjoy :)

Da'Dexx
02-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Mucho Thx 8)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.