PDA

View Full Version : Space Ship Model

ndawson344
12-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi everybody, I was curious. I don't normally do sci-fi style things, and I'm wanting to make a space ship or station, and make it work out well...I was wondering if anyone had a place they go to for sci fi style inspiration....or what type of things I should think about when designing a ship.

Tangster
12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
When designing a ship (I'm talking design,and not modelling, I assume you can do that bit), you should keep a good sense of proportion, ie are the engines big enough to push the ship along? Is the hull large enough to contain the crew?
Also, what era is it from? If it's really futuristic then it might look very sleek and different, wheras if its from the recent future it'll probably be modular and a bit rough looking (look at the international space station, not sense of asthetics, it's function over form).
It also pays to think about what the culture who own it are like, as this may affect markings and the look, warlike, etc. Along a similar vein you ought to take into account what it's function is, eg, a pleasure cruiser, fighter craft, dreadnought?

Oh, and have fun, I'd love to see your outcome.

FuzzyP
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Also, what era is it from? If it's really futuristic then it might look very sleek and different, wheras if its from the recent future it'll probably be modular and a bit rough looking (look at the international space station, not sense of asthetics, it's function over form).

That all depends on the universe he's basing his ship out of. Look at Mass Effect, set in the year 2183 (which is not too distant a future when comparing to Star Trek (the first), or TNG), it has a very sleek, modern spaceship; the U.S.S Normandy. It's not modular, it's sleek and symetrical. Also (even though it is in the Star Trek universe), Star Trek Enterprise is set in 2151 and the actual ship the Enterprise is again, sleek and elegant.

As for the detailing a spaceship, I strongly recommend following the tutorials on this (http://www.3dghetto.com/madkoifish/madfishway/) site. The hull plating tutorial is astounding.

Cam

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.