PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Speed Modeling Sessions: Vote of Interest

ZaneV
12-14-2008, 01:09 PM
At the moment a few people have expressed some interest in seeing something happen in regard to speed modeling sessions. So I guess if we can get enough people together who want to make this work then the next step would be forward so here we go.

For those who are interested and would like to participate in speed modeling sessions if they were to be held once a week you can reply to this thread to show your support.

Senseicapi
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I would like to... it is a great way to improve.

Digitool
12-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I would like to join in. I hope this all takes off... let's get some more votes.

SagiCZ
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, you have my vote. I'll try something.. But I am beginner :shrug:

menthol
12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm in!

~

Digitool
12-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Yes, you have my vote. I'll try something.. But I am beginner :shrug:

ah, the best time and place to join in!

The crits and experience are very helpful in getting better.

weatherlytan
12-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I would love to join in =)

Soulbrighter
12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
There are other CG forum sites that have implemented this type of competition VERY well (3dm3 and 3dtotal come to mind). If Speed Modeling is introduced to this forum, I will certainly submit work! It's a great way to practice and streamline workflows. :applause:

Digitool
12-20-2008, 01:21 AM
And for someone like myself who's been out of the loop for a while it makes getting back in a lot easier. Helps refresh my mind on things and helps me get even better and learn my way around this updated version of Maya that I have.

ZaneV
12-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks for all the votes of interest, its great to see some enthusiasm for this. I think it is due time to start with a trial Speed Modeling Challenge for some shake down and see how the whole thing pans out.

I am setting up a Speed Modeling Challenge: Example which is just to show you how I would go about it, it is not an actual challenge so please don't submit any entries but make sure you give me some feedback!

For those wishing to give a vote of interest - keep them coming! This thread isn't closed we still want to hear from those interested.

ZaneV.

dangermouse
12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I am DEFINITELY in.

I've just scored myself a modeling internship, and I'd love a place like this to keep things fun and loose.

I find myself visiting this forum once a month a month or so and thinking "yay, speed modeling", then realising "aww, it's inactive" :(

Let's go!

ZaneV
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I've scrapped the idea of an example and have just went live with the first speed modeling challenge:

WSMChallenge #0 - Trial Run

Make sure you check out the thread.

I though it is better to get the ball rolling, and others have expressed the same opinion, and iron the wrinkles out with a bit of trial and error as we go.

Don't be too concerned about the deadline of this first challenge if you come in late because as it has already been said, this is just a Trial Run.

Can't wait to see some entries!

Enjoy!

ZaneV.

dreadfear
01-01-2009, 06:11 AM
I personally love this idea, in fact this one reason is gonna keep me on the forum. I wont participate in the santa one as im busy with other models this week but next weeks challenge im definately up for.

iGaret
01-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd join the contests =)

gabeartist
01-27-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm in. :)

dangermouse
01-30-2009, 02:24 AM
i want to apologise for not entering when i said i was definitely in earlier

i'm still intending to take part, but at the moment at work i'm doing all either organic modeling, or cartoony modeling, and the idea of doing organic or toony modeling outside of work AS WELL is just a bit much.

if we get into something slightly more realistic or detailed or anything along those more physical lines, i'd definitely do it, i just need a break from works style at the moment :S

gabeartist
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
who's down to model a cyborg or something. what is everybody interested in doing?

dangermouse
02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
ok, i'm truly wanting this to get off the ground, so here are my two cents. you dont have to agree, but here they are.

in my opinion the 2 challenges that have been attempted sp far failed for 2 reasons:
1) they get tossed in the too hard basket
2) they aren't necessarily 'fun'

succesful speed modeling challenges i've been involved with in the past have primarily been very simplistic and very open to interpretation. a lego vehicle, a torture device, an imaginary bug. all three of these, while being open to someone amazing to make something very cool, also allows very small simple objects.

the first challenge, a santa, said to me "ok, now we've got to make an entire character, human no less, and costume, in a few hours". thats a big ask of anyone. the second, the mister potato head, required that whatever we model be based on raw quality, being something so small the focus would be on topology etc, instead of speed and creativity.

now I KNOW, doing a whole character, or focusing on detail and topology are GOOD things, but what I look for in speed modeling is something i can chillax after work and just have some fun with, and focussing on doing it quick.

i'd like to suggest something horribly cliche'd for the next challenge. a space ship. stop groaning! now you appeal to the whole spectrum. a total newbie can spend the 2 hours (NO more than two, one would actually be pretty good if the subject is simple enough) making a pyramid, with a cylinder for a thruster and shout "VICTORY!". while those of you that are more experienced might go ahead and build a detailed death star, complete with windows, air vents, and a millenium falcon attached to the bottom. now, you dont have to take that specific subject, but it shows my point, no?

this need to be more of a community event, something anyone can take part in. need to be as completely UNintimidating as humanly possible. simple guidelines, open simple subjects, and preferably something fun. take a leaf out of the daily sketches. very quick, accessible to any skill level, and open to any style. anyone can just dive in and sketch. that's where this needs to be.

hope that helps *shrug* and im sorry if i've offended anyone that been trying to kick this off, i appreciate your hard work. i want to see this work as much as anyone.

gabeartist
02-03-2009, 07:57 PM
i totally agree dangermouse. a few other things of extreme importance is somebody has to lead it, and there has to be a time limit, and a certain number of modelers who are participating from start to finish. so lets kick it off. lets model a space ship.

here's the rules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Space ship speed modeling rules.

We'll do a space ship. Since this is speed modeling time is a factor. So to enter
type in "I'm in" within the next four days. (by feb 7 2009) hopefully we can get a fair number of people who are interested. And the cut off for finished models must be done by (feb 10th 2009) Three days.....give it a shot if your interested. Then on the tenth drop what you have, and explain where you had problems, what you learned and we'll set something up for crititquing each other. Hope this works well. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...that said... "I'm in"

Digitool
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm In, but I just want to give a heads up that I've been working on a project for a guy modeling some props and environment elements... so I think that 3 days is kind of rough for people to find out, then participate.

I suggest a format that is not of a competition makeup, but of just fun and sharing. Just create it in the time frame and drop it in the thread, let the thread run for like a month, having a new thread for each different model as they are introduced and that way if someone finds one to be too difficult or cannot get creative enough for it, they can drop in an old one but it can help give people time to get stuff submitted. Maybe that can be introduced as we get more people... but I'm in.

dangermouse
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
i'm in.

and i agree with a change in the social format, i dont think this should be a competition. its just a good forum that gives people a bit of motivation to practice something interesting, and to share ideas and encouragment. theres no reason why we couldn't have a poll at the end for the publics favourite. just dont let it interfere with the rules, no judging requirements etc. a simple people choice would suffice.

and yeah, 3 days is rough. i know my next three days are out.

just a rolling weekly speedmodel.

anyone wanting to head up this initiative? i hope i haven't stood on your toes zane or anyone, i'd feel awful if i have.

gabeartist
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
hey fellow modelers. Sorry for the miscomunication, i didn't mean for this to be a competition of modeler against modeler. I just set the time limit for a definite begining and ending, hoping it would make the expierience more cohesive for us. sorry if i offended anyone. And three days is short. but like dangermouse said a space ship could just be two simple geometric shapes together, or it could be complex. can't wait to see what you guys can do. :)

Digitool
02-05-2009, 03:58 AM
I understand your direction there, but just because you can simply slap together a spaceship (although somewhat necessary for beginners, advanced artists will not want to work outside of their abilities to meet a short deadline) but the thing is, my work schedules and things going on in my life sometimes does not allow me the time to complete a project in a three day window. A week is about perfect. Should give everyone time to fit in some modeling here or there unless something big is going on or a vacation or something.

I just feel more comfortable knowing that I have a week.

Besides, this is supposed to be a no pressure opportunity to have fun and learn and get better, so making a relatively hard to meet deadline would kind of take away from the constructiveness of the exercises.

And don't worry you didn't offend (me at least), I look at all of this as gathering input to try and create the best situation for us all and as long as we're all tossing our ideas together it will make it a more well-rounded, smoothly functioning process.

gabeartist
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
agreed, so should we just make it a week?

gabeartist
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
alright, well we'll just see what we can come up with in three days. good luck. :)

gabeartist
02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
well it's an hour late for my own contest. hehe. but here's what i did. nothing really. 3 days is too short to do a nice ship, when you have an active life.

but here's the front image i took. the rest of the ship views are on my blog.

my blog.

http://gabeartist123.blogspot.com/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gwnro9Jo7Ok/SZKV9P543TI/AAAAAAAAACg/_b8ngzODh74/s1600-h/1.gif

errantspark
02-14-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm down for this.

gabeartist
02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
hey man, we pretty much already did it. i don't think anybody else is going to show work for this. we should probably just start a new one. any ideas?

Tasp
02-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm going to try and start participating when the next challenge goes up.

Based on what I've read on the discussion that has been going on in this thread I think that things are on the right track. If we could somehow get the same feeling that goes with the 15minute sketches in the anatomy forums I think we will get much more in the way of responses.

In my own humble opinion the speed modelling challenges should be designed to get people motivated and help them find regular (dare I say, daily) practice assignments to hone their skills on or just to have fun with. While I understand many people are interested in completing detailed and well designed projects that is what the HCR-MOD forums are for.

Speed modelling should be treated like sketches, simple and getting the point across as well as you can in the time constraint given. Nothing to stress over or worry about finer details, unless of course you are the fortunate few who are skilled enough to have time for that sort of thing :)

Digitool
02-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't think the level of involvement is quite there yet for daily projects or more simpler models.

I think this is a good direction for now, getting more people involved and we can trim it and refine it once we have a regular thing going. The speedmodeling forum has been relatively dormant until here lately so we need to re-establish some foundation and work from there.

That is my opinion.

Digitool
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
over at game-artist.net (http://www.game-artist.net/forums/) they have speed modeling challenges that I believe are how we should have ours.

I think you guys should go over and check it out and feel it out. I participated in this current weeks challenge in which we were to create a Cryo-Chamber. Was pretty fun.

zortech
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
@Digitool: You're right, some things we could copy over here.

#1 presentation standard
- wireframe
- ao rendering
#2 vote
- polls, common issue that people only look and don't post (including me xD)...imo a poll would reach more people

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.