PDA

View Full Version : Displace operator in C problem

spinpatrol
06-20-2003, 09:30 AM
When I use the displace operator it doesnt seem to anti alias the image, switching between preview and best mode doesnt make a difference. Has anyone else noticed this, am I doing something wrong or is Discreet ? I even tried supersampling when rendering but ofcourse that didnt work, HELP :scream:

GrantKay
06-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi,

Try adding a 2 pixel gaussian blur to the matte that you are using to do the displacement with and maybe that will help.

Regards
Grant

DISCREET UK

spinpatrol
06-20-2003, 04:45 PM
i have attached a frame from the sequence that i am using to displace another sequence, as you can see the image is very blurry and soft, so the aliasing problem doesnt have anything to do with my source, and i tried adding a blur to it anyway and it didnt help. i have had a crap day trying to find another technique, crumple doesnt work because it pulls the image away from the edges of the comp...blah blah i can rant and rave for hours but i mean surelly when combustion was developed and the displace operator was tried and tested did everyone go ' hey the displace operator isnt really working but i doubt any of the users will notice'.

Reality3D
07-01-2003, 01:32 PM
True, the displace modifier generates jaggies not antialiased(even with a simple gaussian displace map)

spinpatrol
07-07-2003, 07:05 PM
It seems as if the displace operator is a problem if it gives jaggies, I guess it would only be worth using it if you were displacing a layer and then bluring that layer to hide the jaggies. Does flame have a displacement operator like combustion, and more importantlly does flames one give you jaggies on your displaced layer?

spinpatrol
07-11-2003, 09:06 AM
I was able to find a workaround for the displace operator problem, I guess that good nights rest helped, screw sleep depravation. You take the layer you want to displace and you scale it up by at the most 4 times [ 400% ] and set its comp size to that of 4 times its size [ 480x270 = 1920x1080 ] you then nest that into a layer where you apply the displace operator and then scale that layer down by 4 times [ 25 % ] so then combustion takes the really hi res displaced image and interpolates it back to its scaled down, true size getting rid of the jaggies from the displace operator. The footage gets a bit blurry but it is being displaced so you should expect that any way. Cool well I hope the schematic helps.

Reality3D
07-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Force brute supersampling hehe. Good tip spinpatrol!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.