PDA

View Full Version : Open EXR in Fusion

Megalodon
12-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi!

Does anyone here have experience with OpenEXR files in Fusion?

How well have the OpenEXR improvements been in Fusion5? In Fusion6?

Are there any problems that anyone has found?

The reason I'm asking is that we have Digital Fusion4 and plan on using the OpenEXR file format to render out animations. We are seriously thinking of upgrading. I know that After Effects CS4 along with the ProEXR plugins can fully utilize the format and we can upgrade to the full suite for nearly the same price as the Fusion upgrade. Of course running 64bit would be a GREAT plus for Fusion.

We're just interested in learning what everyone thinks of how well Fusion handles this format.

Thanks!

Littleberu
12-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I did my last project entirely in EXR except for some mask and matte I did in Softimage .Pic. Fusion handled the files with no apparent problems, except the fact that I wasn't working in linear. In that case I would refer you to Nuke or something similar, as Fusion is still far behind concerning linear rendering and things like that IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong, though, I would like to know).

There's also a 64bit version of Fusion 5.3, but I didn't use it as it wasn't compatible with some plug-ins I was using.

Hope that helps.

theotheo
12-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Littleberu, what do you mean "far behind when it comes to linear handeling" ?

You render your stuff linear, you work with a lut in fusion and wham, whats the problem ?
Use the gamut control to convert from different colourspaces.

Or am I missing something something here?

-theo

Littleberu
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Littleberu, what do you mean "far behind when it comes to linear handeling" ?

You render your stuff linear, you work with a lut in fusion and wham, whats the problem ?
Use the gamut control to convert from different colourspaces.

Or am I missing something something here?

-theo

Well, I'm not very "knowledgeable" with working with Fusion, even less working in Linear with Fusion, but Nuke apparently does the compensation itself, without the need of Color Correction or Brightness Contrast (where you need to take out the compensation on your plate, for example).

I might be wrong, again, it just what someone told me.

theotheo
12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
In nuke you can set what colorspace the footage is in the loader/read node in fusion you can use the gamut tool . Whats the difference? Nuke assumes certain files like .jpgs are srgb and will automatically convert them to linear for you, it treats .exr as linear automatically. (even if you rendered it out with a gamma correction)

So saying fusion is years behind in dealing with linear footage is a misleading statement, its even right out bs.

Back to the topic.
Exrs are handled quite nice in fusion, but can became cumbersome if you're using multilayer and custom exr's as fusion only reads some native channels like RGBa, velocity, zdepth etc. Fusion 6 will supposidly change that. If you're still on 4 i urge you to upgrade as quite a lot have happened since 4.04e :)

-theo

Littleberu
12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
In nuke you can set what colorspace the footage is in the loader/read node in fusion you can use the gamut tool . Whats the difference? Nuke assumes certain files like .jpgs are srgb and will automatically convert them to linear for you, it treats .exr as linear automatically. (even if you rendered it out with a gamma correction)

So saying fusion is years behind in dealing with linear footage is a misleading statement, its even right out bs.

Back to the topic.
Exrs are handled quite nice in fusion, but can became cumbersome if you're using multilayer and custom exr's as fusion only reads some native channels like RGBa, velocity, zdepth etc. Fusion 6 will supposidly change that. If you're still on 4 i urge you to upgrade as quite a lot have happened since 4.04e :)

-theo

Well I'm absolutely sorry, I didn't want to be misleading. I'm just going with what people have told me. Oh, and I didn't say "years behind", I was suggesting that people using Nuke told me that Fusion wasn't quite up the level of Nuke concerning the work in Linear.

Again, sorry if I was misleading.

Megalodon
12-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

I think for the time being, I'll be going for Adobe AE. Considering the price and the fact it handles EXR rather well, for what I need it to do it should be fine. I'd love to eventually upgrade to Fusion6 - but that will have to wait for a better economy. And hopefully by then Fusion will be on par with Nuke when it comes to EXR support.

Thanks Again!

raymarcher
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Theo, do you know more details about fusion 6 and exr's with custom channels, I read that too somewhere but can't retrieve that information anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.