PDA

View Full Version : weights keep changing on me

johngloid
06-20-2003, 05:09 AM
hi there.

I'm using maya 5 on a character, and I am now painting the weights.

But everytime I paint for a bone, then go back and paint another, the weights for the past bone are all out of order; more is assigned than I did initially. Anyone have an idea what's happening?

john

loked
06-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey johngloid,

Maya's skinning has a thing called weight normalization. What this does is maintain a value of 1 for every vertices. So if you paint 0.5 on a vertice, it takes the other 0.5 and put's it somewhere else. Now if you go to the vertice that the 0.5 got transferred to and make it 0, it will send that 0.5 somewhere else or back to where it came from and so the one you painted previously will now be 1 again.

There is a thing called "hold" that lets you close off a joint from anymore painting. But you must be careful with this, because the weight can then get transferred somewhere bizzare. So you could end up moving the fingers and vertices on his toes will be affected.

Hope this helps you :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

Levitateme
06-21-2003, 12:17 AM
LOKED, is right

when you paint, make sure to paint from your extremeties in.

fingers to wrist to forearm, to elbow, to shoulder.

like that
what i do is i paint like my fingers for exp, hold weights, wrist, hold weights, after im done with a joint you hold weights. i just learned from Gnomon, but it works for me. thats just my method thati learned from the dvds/tapes. maybe that helps?

Levitateme
06-21-2003, 12:18 AM
oh yah, your normalizaion im not sure if loked said so or not. but i would only turn that off if your working on like some vertices taht you want to have specific joints attached to. if you have it on your going to be fighting other joints. i would just turn that off wehn your working in the component editor. thats the only time i turn it off. i think the paint weights tool does a great job alone though. i do have to use Ceditor every now and then though.

johngloid
06-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Yes, that is it. Thank you very much for straightening this out for me!

thanks
john

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.