PDA

View Full Version : The Showdown - character - Bipeds

drunkirishmic
06-20-2003, 06:03 AM
i thought this challnge was all about the animation so i spent no time modelling any characters. just animating the bipeds. i understand it will be harder for those creating their own rigs and skinning and stuff, but i figured i would focus primarily on the animation.

i havent reallydeveloped a story i guess. it could fit into just about anything. two guys dukin it out. i tried to be as original as i could, but cmon, the fight scenes in the matrix/chinese martial arts movies are over the top, so i went with that sort of style. i have 11 seconds roughly done, just gotta get an internet connection to upload. (im at a freinds right now)

from what i ahv done, i hav learned a butt load of stuff about animation techniques, pipelines and such. i hav this book, "Animators Survival Guide" by Richard Williams. it was recomended by someone on this board. anyways, i hav to second that recomendation, this is one of the best books i have ever had the pleasure of reading.

anyways, i will try to get somethin upped in the next day or so. so many good animators out there.

drunkirishmic
06-27-2003, 09:21 PM
finally got some clips.

still kinda rough, but u get the idea.

any suggestions will be helpful.

kinda big, about 8 megs, so right click and save:
13 Seconds (http://www.drunkirishmic.com/animation/take01.mov)

Kricket
06-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Is that thunderdome? 2 men enter! 1 man leaves! 2 men enter! 1 man leaves! :buttrock:

The first part where the guy falls looks nice. The head could move a bit when he lands.

The shot where a character pulls out the Katana looks kind of stiff. Also, it doesnt look like it's being pulled out of a sheath (If there's not supposed to be a sheath then ignore that) And once he draws the sword try holding the pose for half a second at least.

In the next part cutting between 2 cameras with similar views is unpleasant to watch.. have the second camera start at a different angle or stick with 1 cam. Another thing, in the beginning you have the staff user on the left and the sword user on the right.. then suddenly it gets spun around.

When staff and sword meet try shaking them up a little bit instead of just suddenly stopping. Also decide what the staff is made of.. is it metal or one of those cool bendy-wood staffs like in so many kung fu movies? If its wood then bend the staff at times.. if it's metal it's heavier and the animation needs to show that.

Red goes into a behind-the-back block maneuver before his opponent even launches the attack. His thrust is slow and lacks power, then his backflip is too fast, slow that down.

Blue's spin attack is pretty weird.. it needs work. The bend-backwards dodge is pretty neat, put some secondary motion on the head.

Hope this helps! Fight scenes like this are hard, so keep at it. =)

drunkirishmic
07-12-2003, 12:26 AM
havent had a chance to fine ture the stuff yet, but i hav pretty much finished the layout and timing and stuff. anyways lemme know what u think. i am workin on the above mentioned also.

its 14 megs
take00 (http://www.drunkirishmic.com/animation/take00.mov)

Kricket
07-12-2003, 12:41 AM
your file's busted.. maybe the upload got cancelled? Only shows as being 8 megs.

drunkirishmic
07-12-2003, 02:23 AM
should work now

Kricket
07-12-2003, 03:20 AM
hehe, the last part reminds me of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. =)

T4D
07-12-2003, 06:39 AM
nice animation:cool:
only thing i could say is there's only one attack .... need more damage !!!:buttrock:

but still nice motion :thumbsup:

drunkirishmic
07-12-2003, 12:10 PM
20 seconds isnt a lot of time, 600 frames. but i totally agree

drunkirishmic
07-13-2003, 09:16 AM
screw it, im done. here is the link again to the final clip:

final clip (http://www.drunkirishmic.com/animation/take00.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.