PDA

View Full Version : EA 'Boogie Superstar' Animation work by Lloyd J Colaco

LloydColaco
12-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey guys,
Here are some of the animations I did for EA’s Boogie Superstar.

A little info on the game...
It's a dance game designed exclusively for the Wii and targeted towards tween girls. It also features Karaoke in the gameplay. The game involves players waggling the Wii Remote to simple two-beat prompts, such as swinging the Remote side-to side or up and down in time to on screen directions.
I would like to mention that I have ONLY done the Animation. The rigs, models, concepts, characters were done by the Boogie team at EA Montréal, I’m thankful to be part of such a talented group. Kudos to Luis Alonso for setting up some cool animation friendly rigs!

Links:
Hi Res (47mb) - http://www.vimeo.com/2492417
Mid Res (8 mb) - http://www.vimeo.com/2506687
Crappy Low Res - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEdComEYZ8

Downloadable version – (right click...save as..)
http://cdn.darkvertex.com/mirror/BoogieSuperstar_Lloyd.mov
Thanks for the space Alan.

C&C welcomed!

[IMG]http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136046&stc=1[IMG]

LLOYDO
12-13-2008, 10:34 AM
that looked awesome. nice dance moves. Looks like that would be a fun rig to play with.

Littleberu
12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Hehehe, nice work! It's really great, technically, that you've been able to analyze and reproduce these dance moves in a cartoony but not so cartoony fashion. Great work!

However, I can't say I'm honestly excited about the game, but, still, it's great to see some amazing work coming from a studio here in Montreal.

ivanisavich
12-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Woah...I'm surprised at the quality of your animations! Wonderfully fluid without looking like cheap mo-cap.

Great job!

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Awesome work!

Plugged!
Could you tell us a bit
more about your work?
-R

JBoskma
12-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Llyod, Jelmer from VFS here. This is great! You're really turning out to be the to-go-to guy when it comes to dance animation hah! Besides that, your animation has improved a massive amount. Congrats on the plug, hope all is well on your end.

mooses
12-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Amazing animations! Cool moves nice 'n fluid.
did you have footage from real dancers or did invent
all the moves by yourself?

Animator-K
12-15-2008, 01:25 AM
great work, cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

loocas
12-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Very nice motion and poses, man! Stunning anim. work! :buttrock:

SheepFactory
12-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Awesome work man. Loved the fluidity of the animations.

Zoober
12-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Congrats on the plug Lloyd! Great work :D

JackZhang
12-15-2008, 02:26 AM
gratz buddy. brilliant work.

agreenster
12-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Nice! Very fluid, good posing, and nice spacing on the snappier moves. Very appealing!

jijiannan2008
12-15-2008, 03:24 AM
good job!:buttrock: really cool ! like it!

AndHolzmeister
12-15-2008, 04:16 AM
amazingly fluid animations! :applause:

RYGUY182
12-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Simply amazing work! Did you use motion capture or is it all keyframe? If you keyframed that whole thing you just became my idol. The movements are so fluid and full of emotion. Great job either way! Very impressive!.........wow am I a fanboy.......

Halford
12-15-2008, 08:18 AM
wow, sweet job, realy good animation! I'm impressed.

Hal.

LloydColaco
12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Awesome work!

Plugged!
Could you tell us a bit
more about your work?
-R

OrbertoOrtiz- Thanks a lot!
About my work...

The character concepts & designs had a cartoony feel to it and at the same time, it also had some realism in the proportions...due to this reason, the animations had to have the same feel (not too cartoony)
After research, we felt that the target audience (tween girls) would rather see cartoony over realistic. Fortunately, there was no Mo-Cap used for this game. Everything was Key Animated.

Rigs (I did not rig for the game)..
They were a lot of positive changes made in pre-production (regarding the rigs), they were already looking pretty good. So I was excited once the final rigs came in!
One of the coolest features it had was ‘bone translation’...we were able to translate the bones to our liking. This helped a great deal for posing and squash & stretch.

References...
Since I enjoy dancing and grew up watching music videos, it was easy finding/choosing the refs I needed. EA also hired professional dancers for refs.
Once I started the animation process...I wasn’t too happy with my results, though the refs were great...it was hard getting it look like an actual dance. Since I knew what I wanted to do... I just decided to record myself as reference...I found that really helpful in understanding movement. I ended up doing most of the refs (for my animation) also got my Lead to do a couple...and managed to make my girlfriend to do the ‘girly moves’.
Luckily... the animation team had a great Lead, who was always open to ideas...and that definitely helped me animate freely (without too many restrictions).

Tempo...
I used 15 frames as a beat, so I would make sure a 2 beat move would start on 0 and end on 30...it was also important to have key poses on these frames...some dance moves would be harder considering it had to be a loop, with a continuous smooth motion.
At the end, the audio was put in to match the animations.

So, yeah...that was the process, hope it made sense :)

LloydColaco
12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Guys thanks!
I’m really overwhelmed with the front page and with all your comments. Wasn’t expecting this at all!

Lloydo – Thanks dude...and yeah the rigs were fun.
Littleberu- well thanks, that was the style we were looking for...glad you liked it. About the game, I don’t blame you because it’s made for young girls...anyways; Montreal sure has stuff to offer! : )
Ivanisavich - Cheap mo-cap...hehe, I like that one. Thanks for the kind words.

mrkrzysiek
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
very nice animation, good dance

James2D
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Cool, great job! it has been done by professionally .

Love it! Please upload more ur amazing stuff: )

anishmations
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Congrats ..tats some really cool stuff! loved it ! ! !! playin for the 15th time now!

Boone
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
That is absolutely brilliant animation. Watching the Wii intro, I thought the contestants were shipped to the Crysis island!:D

AndyH
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Brilliant stuff!

Great animation, and i really love the character designs too.

Do you have a version for download anywhere?

ocarian
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Excelent Work LloydColaco

I really like animations and model

Keep up

alaa-afifah
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
very flexible motion and cool music

mediaramas
12-15-2008, 12:56 PM
amazing work dude! also I enjoyed readind the process about the references and how you ended up doing them since you knew what you wanted to achieve, and you ceritanly knew what you wanted

Popscurry
12-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Friggin awesome! Loved those charcters dancemoves, so smooth.

I want that game :)

BGLooney
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Great stuff man!

Very fluid and expressive.
Keep doing!!

Fenring
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I rarely ever feel the need to comment, but this is really nice work.

sapienz
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Was it your idea to have the characters blocked out for some sequence?
i quite like the effect, makes me focus more on the animation but theres something very minor abt the 8th shot that disturbs me alittle.
the mic that she is holding on to looks alittle like a pistol when i 1st saw it. Might want to remove it. Doesn't seem to be doing much

animking
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Totally impressed man:rolleyes:

FrizzleFry0
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Wow your animations are really impressive, Lloyd. I love all the secondary actions, fluid movements, and little settle-in expressions all the characters have. :applause:

ragdoll
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
nice work man! you're definitely a puppeteer! :thumbsup:

c_Hotchkiss
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
....just.....wannna...... dance....

LloydColaco
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Andy,...and yeah, the Art team did a good job with the designs!

I've just uploaded a downloadable version...
http://cdn.darkvertex.com/mirror/Bo...rstar_Lloyd.mov

You could also download from the Vimeo link (once logged in)

Brilliant stuff!

Great animation, and i really love the character designs too.

Do you have a version for download anywhere?

Pnoodles
12-15-2008, 05:41 PM
great job man! Very smooth and charming moves!

:D

LloydColaco
12-15-2008, 07:00 PM
-Jelmer! Nice to see you here dude, thanks....glad you feel that I’ve improved.
BTW...you sea monsters looked awesome on IMAX 3D !!!

- Mooses, Animator-K, loocas, SheepFactory, jijiannan2008, AndHolzmeister, Halford, mrkrzysiek, anishmations, Boone, ocarian, alaa-afifah …..appreciate it guys!
-Zoober!! … thanks buddy, have to admit…I was secretly jealous of you work in class…hehe
-JackZhang …glad you liked it, see you around.
-James2D …yeah will surely keep it coming.

MonteCristo
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Amazing Stuff man!

Wow! Thanks for sharing also your workflow!

Keep Rocking!

-Monte

mim-Armand
12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice work Lioyd, welldone man, ;)
btw I didn't get the idea of "bone translation", can yo explain alil what is it?
keep rocking! :cool:

m,

DimitrisLiatsos
12-15-2008, 11:12 PM
THAT..is some seriously fluid and sweet animation...well deserved plug on frontpage.
Thanks for sharing. :applause:

CGIPadawan
12-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Not only is the animation superb.. but this is the best version of Natasha Bedingfield's Angel I have ever heard.

Please tell me which remix was used. :) I am sure a few other people would like to know also.

Cheers!

Pinyin
12-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Really surprise me!It`s so cool,and i see passionate in them:thumbsup:

LloydColaco
12-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Not only is the animation superb.. but this is the best version of Natasha Bedingfield's Angel I have ever heard.

Please tell me which remix was used. :) I am sure a few other people would like to know also.

Cheers!

CGIPadawan...thanks for the comments,
About the audio...I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was a cover version (mixed by EA) after they bought the rights. Natasha Bedingfield was officially part of the advertising campaign....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwsVKAbFfA

Anyways, so...I basically took the song from the game.
And I agree with you, totally prefer this version :)

LloydColaco
12-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Nice! Very fluid, good posing, and nice spacing on the snappier moves. Very appealing!

Wow....I still remember coming out of school (VFS) and seeing you're monologue piece in this forum, the one in the courtroom...and I was just blown away...it was truly inspiring.

It's awesome to have some of my IDOLS on this thread! :)

Thanks guys.

CGIPadawan
12-16-2008, 04:53 AM
EA should really release an album for this.

Usually their music at EA Trax is a let down (Every NFS since the first Underground has had nothing but "poser music" and music that leaves much to be desired.)....But this time they really out-did themselves.

A CD for all EA covers for Boogie Superstar would definitely get my vote. :)

Going back to animation...

Were the characters animated with Mesh deformation systems, or were they really directly rigged to an armature.

I personally use Blender and Blender can do both... But on PRINCIPLE, which approach do you favor and what are the differences if you have experienced either or both working on Boogie Superstar.

Thanks.

LloydColaco
12-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Woah...I'm surprised at the quality of your animations! Wonderfully fluid without looking like cheap mo-cap.

Great job!

Appreciate the kind words!
Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you guys... always admired the various animation styles you have.

LloydColaco
12-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Simply amazing work! Did you use motion capture or is it all keyframe? If you keyframed that whole thing you just became my idol. The movements are so fluid and full of emotion. Great job either way! Very impressive!.........wow am I a fanboy.......

nice to know that you like it.

Yes, the whole game had key-frame animation.
I personally, was happy about it not being mo-cap for one main reason...
Mo-cap data already has the actors doing most of the acting, but when you key frame...you are in control of the acting & emotions.

And don't get me wrong...I don't hate mo-cap.
infact, mo-cap can look pretty good...if used for the right reasons by the right people.

LloydColaco
12-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Was it your idea to have the characters blocked out for some sequence?
i quite like the effect, makes me focus more on the animation but theres something very minor abt the 8th shot that disturbs me alittle.
the mic that she is holding on to looks alittle like a pistol when i 1st saw it. Might want to remove it. Doesn't seem to be doing much

About the 'silhouette' sequences - yes, I decided to have those in to break the ice and showcase the animations only.

About the 8th shot - I understand your point...and yeah it is distracting!
Its supposed to be a Wii remote...and she's a trainer in the game, she basically shows you how to maneuver the Wii-mote around for gameplay.

The size of the Wii-mote was exaggerated a bit, so the player could see it (since the trainer was a small guide at the corner of the screen)

Thanks for tip!

Ammarkk
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Very nice work......

Naseem
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
wonderful animations. ur natural

Dowayne
12-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I am very inspired by your animation you've done an excellent job bringing those characters to life.
i was wondering what song is that playing in the background?
I like it.

phoenix
12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
hey very impressive work, love your style

regards

xxbinxx
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
That's AWEOSOME .... very nice motion

cristis
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Wow,super fluid animation.I'm amazed how u made the afro lady movement.

Pepnoi
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Nice animation and very groove mood, congratulations.

adrencg
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
me likey a lot

Ballo
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
It is the best dacing animation that I have ever seen.

Congratulations! Amazing!

jlyapor
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice moves Lloyd! it looks like you had fun animating it. kudos to the rest of the team.

Azereus
12-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Fortunately, there was no Mo-Cap used for this game. Everything was Key Animated.

How much you spend on the animation production, including, recording yourself?

its kinda impresive to me actually. I believe that if you do all these by hand you are a very talented animator.

KOKE
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Lloyd, long time no see, great work man!. I really enjoyed watching it.

It is probably one of the best dancing animations I have seen so far.

Three thumbs up.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D

JK.

Katachi
12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
superb and super natural movement. Also the differences between male and female motion is fantastically caught. As an old B-Boy I have no crits on the execution of the dance steps. :thumbsup:

jempix
12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Great work Lloyd. Very impressive animation. :thumbsup:

RussellB
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Brilliant work - What was the time frame for one of those animations, say from one you got your ref and actually sat down and started keying?

Again, kick ass.

n3utrino
12-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Oh man, great respect!
So fluid, so cool and sexy! Best Keyframe Animation i have seen...

The Music and movement makes me wanna dance :)

Djampa
12-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Amazing, top notch !

Pretty nice

Congratulations ! 5 stars.

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Hey guys, thanks a lot...I’m really overwhelmed!
really appreciate ALL response/comments...and your time.

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 05:06 AM
amazing work dude! also I enjoyed readind the process about the references and how you ended up doing them since you knew what you wanted to achieve, and you ceritanly knew what you wanted

Hey mediaramas...It's nice to know that you enjoyed reading it.

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 05:28 AM
-Simon Young ...thanks buddy, will surely keep doing it! : )
-Koke/Jorge ...yeah man, it’s been a while...nice to see you hear tho. Thanks!
-n3utrin0 ...I’m happy that you feel that way.
-MonteCristo, DimitrisLiatsos ...you’re welcome, glad to help!
-Dowayne ... the song is ‘Angel’ by Natasha Bedingfield.
-cristis ...used a lot of Beyonce refs (for the afro lady movements)

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Nice work Lioyd, welldone man, ;)
btw I didn't get the idea of "bone translation", can yo explain alil what is it?
keep rocking! :cool:

m,

well...will try and explain it in a better way, so bare with me :)

On a regular rig, you can only ROTATE bones for posing & animation.
but this rig allows you to TRANSLATE & ROTATE all the bones.

Lets take the spine for example,
This rig allows me to separate (or disconnect) the spine bones apart and still keep the rotation.

As you may know...it's not always easy to get the exact pose by only rotating bones.
So thats when this works great (for achieving better silhouettes and poses)
And off-course, everything is key-able.

Hope this helped.

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
superb and super natural movement. Also the differences between male and female motion is fantastically caught. As an old B-Boy I have no crits on the execution of the dance steps. :thumbsup:

Nice to have feedback from a B-boy!
wasn't expecting that :)

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 06:16 AM
How much you spend on the animation production, including, recording yourself?

its kinda impresive to me actually. I believe that if you do all these by hand you are a very talented animator.

I wouldn't know much on the budget thing (its like a separate department), but as far as recording my self... I just used a regular handy-cam with a mirror in front of me :)

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Brilliant work - What was the time frame for one of those animations, say from one you got your ref and actually sat down and started keying?

Again, kick ass.

Thanks buddy...

About the time frame...
It’s hard to say, since some animations took more time than the rest, but....
Approx 1-3 days for the shorter/easier ones, 4 -7 days for the longer/difficult ones.

LloydColaco
12-17-2008, 06:44 AM
EA should really release an album for this.

Usually their music at EA Trax is a let down (Every NFS since the first Underground has had nothing but "poser music" and music that leaves much to be desired.)....But this time they really out-did themselves.

A CD for all EA covers for Boogie Superstar would definitely get my vote. :)

Going back to animation...

Were the characters animated with Mesh deformation systems, or were they really directly rigged to an armature.

I personally use Blender and Blender can do both... But on PRINCIPLE, which approach do you favor and what are the differences if you have experienced either or both working on Boogie Superstar.

Thanks.

The music was improved since this was also a Karaoke game.

Regarding your question...
They were directly rigged because mesh deformation is heavy on memory in a real-time videogame.

which approach I favor?
I personally feel, mesh deformation/shape animation/ani sculp should be used only if your story/game really needs, it's also the last thing that comes in after the main animation is done.

Otherwise, a simple rigs works great... there's no point adding stuff if its not needed.
So yeah, there's no real preference cuz it totally depends on what's needed.

Thats just my opinion though.

Gabor
12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Everything has been said. Amazing work!

I especially like that the characters don't step on the same spot.
You really made them alive.

Insomniation
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
holy moly...

a massive round of applause from me. I'm sitting here at 3am loosing my steam and I saw this...watched it 8 times now. Definitely very inspirational to me...I love it man. Want to jump right back in and animate my ass off now.

Back to working on my reel and trying to get anywhere close to your level of animation...yikes I got a long way to go!

Obraxis
12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Very well done sir. That work is outstanding - very fluid and smooth. Great job! :)

darpan108
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
amazingly fluid animations! :thumbsup:

MrPositive
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I would play this game. Those animations actually looked like real dancing, and blow away anything I've seen game related before. Bravo work.

avalanche16
12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes i found this song ! I like your animation and this fluid moves, i watched this animation many times,You make good work !

Song: Natasha Bedingfield - Angel (Moto Blanco Club Mix)

cristis
12-17-2008, 10:34 PM
-cristis ...used a lot of Beyonce refs (for the afro lady movements)
Personally, I prefer punk or rock.Now,because of ur animation I start to like Beyonce.:p

marcochow
12-18-2008, 05:44 AM
nice!wowo !!

ziomalbanan
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
great job!:) realy nice animation:thumbsup:

kolakis
12-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Lloyd!! This is incredible!!! Amazing job and so awesome to see something new from you! :)

smelhill
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I really like the dance stuff you have been doing Lloyd, You are a boogie superstar too! I guess Granny really taught you how to groove, but you have gone on and made it better. I love the timing and the poses and have great respect for the rigs you must have been using to pull off such fluid movements.
I can still see stuff that I could comment on, but thats because I cant help myself..once a mentor always a pain...! But overall I am just so damn impressed that I will keep my mouth shut:)
Kudos Lloyd; keep up the good work.
Sarah

ahmedteeka
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
awooooooooooooooosome
keep it man

robinmitra
12-19-2008, 12:54 AM
wowow! i wish i had those animation skills :D

ftb
12-19-2008, 01:32 AM
nice. i really liked the way you presented them too,

well done lloyd.

also we have the same name so i like you even more!

-lloyd

DecWest
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Really nice animation....and in fact really nice Art Direction.

Nice to see colour and fun in games for a change :applause:

Hope it does well, the 'casual Wii' market is the next 'great white hype' of the videogame Industry

Hope you guys get some!

tinytimw52
12-19-2008, 04:33 PM
ha ha, i like how the guy slides down the stair railing.

mister3d
12-20-2008, 03:43 AM
This is cool! Very cheerful and sweet. The characters are also amazing, and the cinematography is pleasing. It would be cool to see a complete clip to the song, but I guess I just want to much. :blush:

Annhialator
12-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Hahahaha Lloyd congratulations on the front page again, apparently your shoes were meant for dancing, quite the improvement since we graduated hope you're having fun doing it

brazz
12-20-2008, 07:50 PM
hey Lloyd, very well done animation man, top notch stuff. I saw it like 5 times already, the music is pretty cool too and your animation wraps all up in a nice funky dancing box hehe

A lot of fun, I´m very happy to know it was all keyframed.

Windows90
12-21-2008, 05:08 AM
I wonder how the animation could be so fluid, really awesome!!

eskandari
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
fantastic i love it:beer:

leeban85
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
wow awesome !!! what a rhythm ! what a flow ! did u used refrences for that i mean for dance steps as well ? or did u create it ?

lilalex
12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Although I'm really fed-up with all the "Tweener-directed" media being produced - I'm liking the character modeling and absolutely love the fluid animation.

Great work on your part! Congrats!

la

DJSimo
12-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Wow top notch animation Lloyd! I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

-Simon

Xenethyl
12-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Great work, Lloyd. Everything was very fluid and energetic. I also enjoyed the silhouette sections as it gave me a chance to focus on the animation instead of the appearance of the characters.

Also, I noticed that a few people were asking about the particular remix of Angel that EA used for the game. I'm pretty sure the version EA is using is Natasha Bedingfield - Angel (Moto Blanco Club Mix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLswR6JXHr8). They may have altered the song a bit to work it into the game, but for the most part it sounds the same.

Again, truly great work on this project!

HInoRYUU
12-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm really amazed for the fluidity of the moves. Specially the "shadow" sequences, make you forget you're looking at an animation. They seem so real! Something that has been asked before: did you polish some MoCap or made the animation from references? No matter how, it looks just great!

Congratulations!
-=HInoRYUU=-

acamporota
12-26-2008, 12:52 PM
hey man awesome work...
i love the strong pose and how the animation are so appealing
good sense of overlapping and timing...
also beatifull the silouette animation...
5 stars man

franksilas
12-29-2008, 06:23 AM
I really enjoyed your Boogie Superstar Animation Lloyd! I'm converting so that I can watch in on my Nintendo DS Lite, and show it to other people. That's just cooool.

LloydColaco
01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I really like the dance stuff you have been doing Lloyd, You are a boogie superstar too! I guess Granny really taught you how to groove, but you have gone on and made it better. I love the timing and the poses and have great respect for the rigs you must have been using to pull off such fluid movements.
I can still see stuff that I could comment on, but thats because I cant help myself..once a mentor always a pain...! But overall I am just so damn impressed that I will keep my mouth shut:)
Kudos Lloyd; keep up the good work.
Sarah

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for the comments...glad that you are impressed with the work.
I know there are a few things I can still improve on...so would love to still get your feedback, dish it out! :)

LloydColaco
01-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm really amazed for the fluidity of the moves. Specially the "shadow" sequences, make you forget you're looking at an animation. They seem so real! Something that has been asked before: did you polish some MoCap or made the animation from references? No matter how, it looks just great!

Congratulations!
-=HInoRYUU=-

No, there was no MoCap polishing involved. References were used to understand the moves and then animated with a cartoony feel.

Thanks HInoRYUU.

wxf880623
01-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Woo!You just do your work,and it is very good!Thanks for you and your talented team!

glenmont3d
02-01-2009, 07:36 AM
One word, Awesomeness!

wxf880623
02-02-2009, 05:06 AM
I'm sorry,but I don't know your meaning for my poor English.
But I'm gland to receive your reply.And I wil do my best for my life.

KenSaba
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Very well done! Congrats!!:applause: 5 stars

wxf880623
02-03-2009, 02:19 PM
It's a perfect work.

jamespstevenson
02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Great work man, nice moves! Interesting to read that you ended up recording a lot of your own reference, I think you're right when you say that it really helps to understand the breakdown of movement. The results speak for themselves... nicely done and it has a much more organic feel than it would have had it been mo-cap'd. Interesting that the team opted for a keyframe approach, it was a good choice.

manuel
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I love it. The animation and the designs really work together.

Did you do any "cheating"? By that I mean dislocating joints, stretch and squash type of tricks to add extra kick to the movements or is it all just rotating the joints?

On a similar note, how much input did you have on the rigging?

LloydColaco
02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I love it. The animation and the designs really work together.

Did you do any "cheating"? By that I mean dislocating joints, stretch and squash type of tricks to add extra kick to the movements or is it all just rotating the joints?

On a similar note, how much input did you have on the rigging?

Thanks!

Yes, the bones could be dislocated (for squash/stretch and posing)...it was like a 'Polish' pass after all the animations was done.

As far as input on rigging goes...

Luis setup a pretty solid rig to begin with, and from there on he kept improvising it.
We (animators) would have weekly team meetings with the riggers, give our suggestions and the rigging team would do their best to incorporate it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.