PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mental Ray Question

dazultra
06-20-2003, 04:33 AM
Hello,
I have been having some problems using Mental ray for maya4.5.
Please see the three attached images, the top one was rendered using Mental ray, the middle was when I went to batch render the same file. It seems to have lost all my settings and I have looked everywhere and set everything I could find to use Mental Ray render. Is the version of mental ray fron Aliaswavefront a full working version? Am I missing something obvious?

The last image is an earlier Maya software render, notice the shadows, you can see the shape of the fish and subtle shadows from through the glass. I have used Mental ray because I wanted to get caustics to render as in the top image but the shadows aren't rendering good enough.

I have limited knowledge of Maya & mental ray and am a relitave newbie to this whole game, from what I understand of raytracing I have to increase the rays so they penetrate the glass, I have tweeked with loads of settings and using mental ray I never get the same effect as with maya software...

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks
Darren Mulkerrins

gmask
06-22-2003, 04:19 AM
I think the problem is that the command for batch rendering MR and the Standard Maya Renderer are different.

I think you'll want to use mayarender_with_mr.cmd or mentalrayrender.cmd fromt he commandlien to get the result syou are expecting.. there should be docs on this in the electronic manual

dazultra
06-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi Gmask,
Thanks for the reply! I looked up the documentation for Mental ray & after typing the comand in the commandline I got the following error,

cannot find procedure "mayarender_with_mr"

I have done a search for it and it's in a folder called - mental ray for maya 4.5>bin

Am I doing something stupid???

Cheers
Darren

gmask
06-23-2003, 06:03 PM
In the case of Maya 4.5 there is a seperate set of docs for MR.. I forget the exact folder it's in but it's in the mental ray install

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.