PDA

View Full Version : Golden Globe Awards

jeremybirn
12-12-2008, 05:16 AM
http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/104

Nobody seems to have posted this yet. This morning the Golden Globe nominees were announced.

"THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON" was one on the nominees for BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA.

The BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM nominees are BOLT, KUNG FU PANDA, and WALL-E.
(I had been thinking that a likely nominee would be "Horton Hears a Who." Certainly that was one of the best of the year, right?)

In an unusual situation, two of the nominees for BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE were from animated films: Peter Gabriel's song for WALL-E “DOWN TO EARTH”, and “I THOUGHT I LOST YOU” from Bolt.

The Golden Globes are not the biggest awards in the world. They are given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a group of film critics from around the world. Because they come out before the Academy Awards, though, in many cases the Golden Globes help influence who will win the Oscars.

-jeremy

Ammarkk
12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
The BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM nominees are BOLT, KUNG FU PANDA, and WALL-E.
(I had been thinking that a likely nominee would be "Horton Hears a Who." Certainly that was one of the best of the year, right?)

-jeremy

Yeh man, you are right. This is happen every year...:shrug:

blenderhead
12-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I enjoyed Horton, particularly the second half. But is Bolt better? It's not out here yet so I dunno. Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E were better though, in my opinion.

agreenster
12-14-2008, 06:14 AM
I think Horton was overlooked for two reasons:

1. It was the first major animated film of the year, and by the time it came around for award season, it was overshadowed by newer films with more buzz.

2. It was an amazing year for animated films from the major studios, and the competition is super high. I cant think of another year where Pixar, Disney, Blue Sky, and Dreamworks ALL released films that scored SUCH high critical praise and/or saw so much success at the box office. Awards (oscars/golden globes) are fun to predict and discuss, but I find myself focusing way more on what a good year it was for animated films as a whole, and Im ridiculously proud to have had the opportunity to animate on Horton and Bolt

blenderhead
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah I was thinking that. It was just released too early in the 'awards' calendar. It's fallen out of people's memory. Apparently these award types don't have dvd/blu-ray players and kids that watch these dvd's hundreds of times. :D

mrpeace
12-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Yet apart from release dates and the SO ON...I believe WALL E, KUNG FU PANDA had more to give the audience. To me HORTON was not even near to what Blue sky had done before...

Talk about ICE AGE, Did nt we enjoy it over and over? But I cannot say that for HORTON.:hmm:

Lets hope Blue Sky does better in the coming time with ICE AGE 3.

bigbad
12-14-2008, 12:34 PM
For me "Horton hears a who" is one of the better animated movies out there and that Kung Fu Panda get so much credit is beyond me.

What was so great about that movie anyway? Maybe the cast.

jeremybirn
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
It seems that 2008 is unique in having so many good ones. If you think back to when they started giving academy awards for best animated feature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature) in 2001, for the first few years there were always some films getting nominations just because there had to be at least three nominees. It's a real change that this year we don't know who'll get the nominations because there are more genuinely deserving films.

-jeremy

CaptCook
12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
These are the Rotten Tomatoes numbers:

WALL-E: 96%
KUNG FU PANDA: 88%
BOLT: 85%

HORTON: 79%
MADAGASCAR 2: 63%

I don't agree with WallE getting such a high number. I thought KFP and Bolt were much better. WallE completely fell apart in the 2nd half :(

CC

SheepFactory
12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
For me "Horton hears a who" is one of the better animated movies out there and that Kung Fu Panda get so much credit is beyond me.

What was so great about that movie anyway? Maybe the cast.

Maybe try watching it first?

bigbad
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe try watching it first?

I did watch it. All I got is that food is the only motivation for a fat person. Good to know that the kids will get that too.

The moral of the story is............

blenderhead
12-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Morals in animated movies are over-rated (Remember Ratatouille? Every five seconds with the 'stealing' bits of crumbs thing!). If there was a moral in the movie, it was more about if you are passive obsessive enough about a dream, one day you will get there :) I actually thought that was a very deliberate wink to us aspiring animators out there; at least that's how I saw it. :)

Kung Fu Panda could have been another Lion King if they had let Po the Panda take a back seat for the second act and really develop the story between Shi-Fu and Tai-Lung. The few moments given to that were...wow. And as for Tai-Lung's escape from prison...up there with the batpod exploding from the tumbler in coolest moments in cinema this year! :D

polyman
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm glad to see Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire getting some noms. Its an amazing film that everyone should check out.

Kimotion
12-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I did watch it. All I got is that food is the only motivation for a fat person. Good to know that the kids will get that too.

The moral of the story is............

Any vice can be used as self improvement. Food was his vice but it motivated him to train harder.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2008, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.