PDA

View Full Version : Lakkenäa and Snowball, Diane Özdamar (2D)

Dianae
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g92/190492/190492_1229040645_medium.jpg

Title: Lakkenäa and Snowball
Name: Diane Özdamar
Software: Photoshop

This is a quick illustration done for the december part of the DrowInside Calendar (http://kanuka76.deviantart.com/journal/11985777/) by Kanuka76 on DeviantART (http://kanuka76.deviantart.com)

Closeups (http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4407/closeupsokyf8.jpg) (size : 55% except for the face which is 30%)

WIP steps (http://dianeozdamar.over-blog.com/article-25466419.html)

Photoshop CS3
Wacom Intuos 3A4
No reference
Original size : 3450px * 10630px, 300 dpi
18 hours approximately.

And now, time for a stupid cute story which adds nothing to the painting :
Lakkenäa is listening to Snowball telling her where she can adopt an other snowdragon (and a specific one by the way : he fell in love with a pretty she-dragon and wants her to be his girlfriend ! ), hence her little smile.
And no, she's not cold, there's some fire behind her and let's pretend she's using magic to feel warm (actually, I was quite tired when I started painting this so I guess my brain was not really working when I put an almost naked woman under snow… Maybe these "dark elves" don't feel cold ? *cough*I know, it's lame*cough*)

I hope you'll like it :)

I know it's still a bit sketchy, but I was already late to give it to Kanuka76 since the official deadline was over :/

I may refine it someday when I have free time though, so constructive critiques are very welcome !

SpaceTik
12-12-2008, 01:19 AM
just beautiful!

Dianae
12-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Thank you very much Jojin ! :)

FireEyes
12-12-2008, 02:23 AM
It's extremely realistic body. Seems made by 3D software!
Very skillful!
And the clothes, and the little dragon... all outstanding!
Congratulations Diane!
:thumbsup:

Dianae
12-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you very much Nathan ! I actually thought it didn't look realistic / 3D enough :)

waheednasir
12-12-2008, 02:59 AM
hello diane..:). good work on the dress and on the dragon. nice flow of her hair and dress, creating an interesting rythm.

good day.

phoenix
12-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Diane hats off, impressive work

regards

Dianae
12-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Wow, thank you very much Waheed and Phoenix !
I really didn't expect such nice comments on this piece, since it looked a bit sketchy compared to my other works…
Thanks a lot !

nictey
12-12-2008, 06:30 AM
That's a nice piece Dianae. I like the overall flow of the picture. There are some nice contrast as well. Good stuff :)

Estele
12-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Amazing work Dianae! The dragon is so beautiful! :)

Lemog
12-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Of course, I really appreciate this new drawing... very inspiring, very original... with a perfect composition...

juste un ptit truc qui me fait drôle (à force de regarder peut-être), le bas de la fesse gauche me gêne un peu, sans pouvoir vraiment expliquer... peut-être pas assez de tension à cause de la cuisse, ou fesse un peu basse... ou simplement un effet d'optique induit par le mouvement du tissu... très difficile à dire.

Sorry for the french words... I can't say that in english :argh:

Well... anyway, the image is very pleasant... I love her with this particular mood... :arteest:

continue à nous faire rêver :buttrock:

dmarshallarts
12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Great work Dianae, the colours and the dragon are fantastic, also the feeling of connection between the two is spot on for me :bowdown:

recce
12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
beautiful! :beer:

Soilworker06
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Diane !

Absolutly wonderfull ! I love this image, the subject, the composition the colors the details as always. I'm very impressed by the time you have spent on this image, only 15h. O_O

5* for you Diane ^^

Gilles.

Dianae
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, now that's a huge surprise. :surprised Seriously, guys, I really was expecting very harsh critiques and not such a nice feedback. Thank you so much Nicholas, Maria, Laurent Antoine, Dan, David and Gilles !

Mr Lemog : je me suis basée sur une anatomie de personne avec bassin droit, ce qui fait que le pli fessier va très loin sur la cuisse et donne cette impression (c'est très peu usité de nos jours, vu que c'est un canon de beauté qui date plutôt du moyen-âge… on a tendance à privilégier le bassin incliné qui supprime quasiment le pli fessier et donne une forme plus "ferme"). Mais si c'est vraiment gênant, j'arrangerai ça :)

And now in english : I painted a specific anatomy which shows someone with a straight (vertical) pelvis, which causes the "fold" under the bottom to be very long (it's almost not used today, since it was a beauty standard in the Middle Ages. We tend to show people with inclined / leaning pelvis nowadays, which causes this fold to almost disappear and make the bottom cheeks look more "firm" ). Though, if it really looks weird, I'll fix it :)

Thanks again people ! :)

kiboSVK
12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
pose is excelnt and very nice idea :cool:

Firenze
12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Beautifull Dianae! I love the collors and composition, the fabric and jewells is so well done.
I can not stop looking at all these details in this beautiful dark Elf :)

Congrats!

Dianae
12-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you very much Tomas and Franciani ! :)

GonzaloGolpe
12-12-2008, 01:18 PM
You have a very personal style :), I like the tone gradation from the top to the bottom of the image.

Keep on, positive energy and good luck:beer:

Lemog
12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
C'est moins le fait que ce soit gênant que le fait que ce soit à moitié caché... on ne sait pas si elle a la fesse en "goutte d'eau" ou pas...
mais ne changes rien pour moi, et attends d'autres éventuelles remarques ;)

Have a nice week-end :wavey:

eonridr
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Diane, another beautiful work! I personally love the hair, dragon and how you treated the snow so much. The use of so much black and white was really brave too and you balanced it off so well with hues of blue and orange. Somehow it took me quite awhile to realise how difficult the pose could be to paint, so i think the anatomy and design of the clothes was done very brilliantly for me. And I've got some critques since you asked :)

- The color done on the butt was abit too saturated and could possibly steal the attention ( at least for me :P)

- If the arms were already so affected by the orange light I think the lighting of bracelet reacting to the fire could be more contrasting.

- I think you could have done better with her fingers esp the thumb, the index finger seems abit far from the thumb. It also looks abit evil for me ( maybe what you wanted it that way though) If i can suggest I think it'll be good if the hands have a gesture towards the dragon

All my 2 cents and it seems abit nitpicking, hoped it could help anyway. Congrats for the great work! :thumbsup:

Dianae
12-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Gonzalo : thank you very much ! :)

Laurent Antoine : Message reçu ;)

Hongji : Thank you very much for your indepth comment :beer: I'll try to fix these issues ! Thanks again

Halcyonic
12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Incredible work as always Diane

MichaelZHsee
12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
thats very weldone Dianne,looks pretty detailed for a quick illustration(nice details on the fabrics),good use of colors and stunning pose for the character as well.keep it coming mate.a ****s well deserve

spacewolflord
12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Now I wish I was in a RPG campaign where I can play a Drow Wizard with a Familar and not DM. Very well done and it just gives me so many Character ideas to play with and think about during the boring and mostly thoughtless job hours. I guess I should be happy with such a thoughtless job or other wise my Campaigns wouldn't be half as well thought out. Enought of my banter, this is just another great example of why I come to this site to look at all the wonderful art.

PAOOO
12-13-2008, 08:50 AM
waouu, ça faisait que j'avais pas vu de nouvelles toiles, bravo les derniers sont vraiment reussi ><

Underhill
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
cool skintone, love your palette:applause:

Dianae
12-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Aww, thank you Steven, Michael, William, Paul and Chaichan :)

CyrilT
12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Beautiful light and colors Diane, an impressive work. :thumbsup:

tmalinko
01-31-2009, 06:05 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous, my favorite of yours:)
Vertical composition is dynamic, the pose of the girl very "baroque", and the little dragon is just too cute:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2009, 06:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.