PDA

View Full Version : CityScapes DVD Questions?

plexiGlass
06-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Hi! Have any of you seen the Class on Demand CitySCapes DVD, and what do you think of it? Here is a LINK (http://classondemand.365media.com/tradesmart/classondemand/tsControl.asp?pge=6&prodid=331) How informative is it? Is there a better way to go about learning to create good cityscapes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Zarathustra
06-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Modpak (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/modpak/index.html)

You could try this. Real trick is texturing.

plexiGlass
06-20-2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks! That looks pretty cool, and I'll probably try it. But I am more interested in learning to build my own. So once I know what is involved in making a good city scape I'll be able to incorporate some of my own original building ideas. Like alien, or futuristic civilizations, and ancient structures, or ruins, temples, and so on.

Thanks for the reply. The plugin looks great.:thumbsup:

Real trick is texturing.
Are you saying texturing , and bump maps are used for most of your structure details, or just that texturing can be tricky?

Zarathustra
06-20-2003, 02:21 AM
Like anything else, just start gathering reference images. There's plenty online. You can try those bargain sections at book stores for books on NY or whatever.
...and there's always Bladerunner. :thumbsup:

plexiGlass
06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
I appreciate your help. I could go through, and take the time of modeling detailed structures one by one, without the use of images, bump map's, or what not. But I was more curious if there were known easier ways of going about it without using a plugin. Which is why I wanted to know what the DVD was like, and just how informative it was.

BladeRunner... The movie? I've seen it.

Thanks again for your reply's. :)

aurora
06-20-2003, 02:16 PM
I have not watched this particular COD DVD but its by Dan and the other DVD's and resources I have used from Dan have been fantastic. I have his Character Animation DVD series and loved the time and detail he spent on it. In fact my dad watched the first parts of it and even wanted to give LW a try some day, hes never played with CG beyond CAD app's for disk drive development. Dan uses the city scape scene from that DVD at the end of the Character Animation series and states it uses only a couple of buildings and clones them multiple times. He does goe over the modeling, texturing, scene layout, lighting (also very important with a few tricks of its own) rendering, and I believe a fly through not sure on that one though. If you wanted to learn cityscaping beyond the info on the net then I would suggest it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.