PDA

View Full Version : xsi vs c4d for animation?

seguefy
12-11-2008, 04:23 PM
hello all,

up til now ive only ever been modelling straight up, just still renders and static models. i really want to take the plunge into animation headfirst right now.

right now I own rhino3d and Modo, and use those for ALL my 3d modelling.
i want to invest in a larger app for animation and rendering, and im stuck between c4d and XSI.

ive used Maya and 3DS briefly in the past and it was not for me.

ive used the demo of C4d and the rendering looks very easy to handle, but the animation not so much. i havent tried XSI demo yet but shall be.

but for seasoned vets of both these programs, with your experience, which app do you overall think is the superior animation program - in terms of overall ability and ease of use when it comes to controlling timing and easing and things of that nature? as well as little quirks youd only come across after lots of time using it?

StOuen
12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
If I had to choose between the two, it would have to be Messiah.

anobrin
12-13-2008, 10:51 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=19315

Oli4D
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
hello all,

up til now ive only ever been modelling straight up, just still renders and static models. i really want to take the plunge into animation headfirst right now.

right now I own rhino3d and Modo, and use those for ALL my 3d modelling.
i want to invest in a larger app for animation and rendering, and im stuck between c4d and XSI.

ive used Maya and 3DS briefly in the past and it was not for me.

ive used the demo of C4d and the rendering looks very easy to handle, but the animation not so much. i havent tried XSI demo yet but shall be.

but for seasoned vets of both these programs, with your experience, which app do you overall think is the superior animation program - in terms of overall ability and ease of use when it comes to controlling timing and easing and things of that nature? as well as little quirks youd only come across after lots of time using it?

Look there is no 'perfect' app... but if you are new to animation (and also rigging), I would go for the app where the most (and best) tutorials are avaible.
I guess that's Maya... if you don't like it (and I totally understand :D), then the next thing would probably be XSI. There are also a lot of nice rigging and animation tuts for it.

I personally use Cinema4D as my standard app, but unfortunately, there are not so many good tutorials for it. Especially not about rigging and animation.
Well there are some, but way less then for the others apps.

You know, the software is only a tool anyway. Especially in animation it all boils down to your skills, talent, etc. Not so much which app you use.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.