PDA

View Full Version : View face normal in the viewport

JoshuaAnderson
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
The only way to view the face normal is to turn back culling on. That ways the side that's not the front of a face doesn't get rendered and we come to know that that face normal is facing the other side. But this is not that helpful. What I was thinking was to have a shader or some way to view the face 2 sided. Just like the 2 sided shader by default in max but for the viewport. Now, here is the question: is there a way to check face normals, except for back culling or using edit normal modifier, where an artist can simply look at it and some color coding or something of that sort makes it easier for them to view it. A script for it would really help or jus an idea how to go abot it would also work :). Thanks in advance to all.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
You could possibly write a DirectX shader or scene effect to display it. I don't know that there is a way (through maxscript) to shade faces differently based on their normals.

-Eric

JoshuaAnderson
12-12-2008, 04:34 AM
thanx a lot PiXeL_MoNKeY. Yea that's what we did, one of my friend at the studio created a dx shader that could do that. It actually looks pretty cool. Now artists can go ahead and check their mesh for any flipped normals. So everything is in green and anything that has normal flipped or facing the other side shows as red.

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2008, 04:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.