PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek At Disney’s New 3D CARSToons

RobertoOrtiz
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM

The CARS Toons are all basically tall tales told by Tow Mater, in which he fabricates elaborate stories from his past. In this one, “Tokyo Mater,” he talks about his days as a drift racer in Tokyo, and it’s just an excuse for a barrage of anime jokes, sight gag references to films like MONSTERS INC and WALL-E, insane visual puns about donuts, and ninjas. It’s a tsunami of eye candy, and the 3D is used to really pull you into the screen and make the race even more visceral.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39384

lebada
12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
looks cool but...cars...i guess if it sells why not. I havent seen bolt yet so this might make the offer of going to see it more attractive in terms of eye candy.:wavey:

blenderhead
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh god. How could it have been worse than I actually expected to be?

ANSWER: Set it in Tokyo. Get ready for gross cultural generalisations, offensive voice acting, and ignorance bordering on racism! . I think I will be going 20 minutes late to Bolt; wouldn't want to upchuck before it starts, I'm quite looking forward to it.

:scream:

Remi
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm curious blenderhead....are you super jealous of JL or Pixar or something? Because anytime someone mentions something about them, your underpants get all bunched up.

devin
12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Get ready for gross cultural generalisations, offensive voice acting, and ignorance bordering on racism! .

I'd like to assume that Disney/Pixar is culturally aware of its worldwide audience and has more class than that.

elvis75k
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
was just reading this at navone's blog.. Wow!

blenderhead
12-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd like to assume that Disney/Pixar is culturally aware of its worldwide audience and has more class than that.

Yeah and I'd like to think I'll start pooping gold any way now ;)

And no Remi. Only a fanboy could mistake blatant dislike for jealousy :) I'm envious of countless people in the entertainment industry, Lasseter ain't one of 'em. He's more in the 'Michael Bay' category :D

RobertoOrtiz
12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
looks cool but...cars...i guess if it sells why not. I havent seen bolt yet so this might make the offer of going to see it more attractive in terms of eye candy.:wavey:
See Bolt..
I am not kidding when I say it is one of the best flicks of the year.

-R

ccherrett
12-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh god. How could it have been worse than I actually expected to be?

ANSWER: Set it in Tokyo. Get ready for gross cultural generalisations, offensive voice acting, and ignorance bordering on racism! . I think I will be going 20 minutes late to Bolt; wouldn't want to upchuck before it starts, I'm quite looking forward to it.

What can I say except I love blender and wish you had a different nick :)

gundog
12-11-2008, 02:58 AM
ANSWER: Set it in Tokyo. Get ready for gross cultural generalisations, offensive voice acting, and ignorance bordering on racism!

hahahaha..... you probably got it dead on. well done.

frogspasm
12-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Judging from the logo at the center of the second image, someone at Pixar is a Brian Transeau fan. Makes me wonder if he did any music for the short...

eightgr
12-12-2008, 01:03 PM
For those who're interested, just posted more pictures and infos there (http://www.itsartmag.com/features/tokyomater/)

jeremybirn
12-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Judging from the logo at the center of the second image, someone at Pixar is a Brian Transeau fan. Makes me wonder if he did any music for the short...

Good catch! Check out BT's blog:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=32508286&blogID=455479580

-jeremy

Capel
12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm envious of countless people in the entertainment industry, Lasseter ain't one of 'em. He's more in the 'Michael Bay' category :D

See now this is just flat out untrue. Possibly one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard of. Lasseter and Bay are so completely opposite as filmmakers that it's almost not even a matter of opinion. You are in the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast minority on this one, blenderhead.

And your jealousy is only magnified by this comparison.

blenderhead
12-13-2008, 06:29 PM
lol where did this 'jealousy' nonsense come from? That's like saying a guy who flips burgers is jealous of the President of the United States. I don't understand how a low level 3d artist can be accused of being actively jealous of a director, studio head and the guy who runs Disney for gods sake. You could suggest a low level 3D Artist was jealous of the other talented folks on 3d messages boards, that would be more likely. Not that I am. It's just plain dislike. I could give you several youtube links right now that show him being a annoying prat, but you can look for yourself, right?

The only talent Lasseter has is that he was lucky enough to surround himself with auteurs like Stanton. And that he is spectacularly annoying and fake individual (at least in front of the camera). You wouldn't fawn over Michael Eisner because of work that Glenn Keane or Andreas Deja have done, would you? Give credit where its due. To Stanton and the actual designers and animators, not to the guy the press talk to.

And I am completely aware I am in the minority. A lot of people see that as a very bad thing, but I reckon the world would be very boring if everyone had the same opinions ;)

Phrenzy84
12-13-2008, 08:06 PM
See now this is just flat out untrue. Possibly one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard of. Lasseter and Bay are so completely opposite as filmmakers that it's almost not even a matter of opinion. You are in the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast minority on this one, blenderhead.

And your jealousy is only magnified by this comparison.

Dont bother trying to change this person's mind (notice why no one else has? :)). . I got sucked into this vortex on another post a while ago about his opinion about Lasseter. Just leave him to it. :)

Swizzle
12-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Dont bother trying to change this person's mind (notice why no one else has? :)). . I got sucked into this vortex on another post a while ago about his opinion about Lasseter. Just leave him to it. :)Or, to be more blunt, don't feed the trolls.

sebbonaparte
12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Blenderhead, you're part of the reason why the professional community doesn't take Blender seriously. Your posts in this thread are unprofessional and give off a bad image for the OSS; there is no need to attack John Lasseter on a seemingly personal level, especially on a forum with other industry artists.

Speaking of the Car Toons, I think Pixar did a very nice job on them. Victor Navone, Rob Gibbs, and John Lasseter all did some nice work on them, not to mention the production team at Pixar. The shorts provided some laughs, and I'm looking forward to seeing Tokyo Mater.
Too bad I saw Bolt already... I'm not sure if I want to put the money down to see it again, although I might because it's surely worth another watch.

blenderhead
12-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Blenderhead, you're part of the reason why the professional community doesn't take Blender seriously.

lol WHAT! Never knew I was so important. Rule No. 2 mate: Engage your brain before your mouth. ;) Blender is great and everyone knows it, even if some choose not to use it.

It's amazing how people will rag on Michael Bay for pages and pages on this forum (which I condone :D) and its fine but as soon as its someone countless people idolise for no apparent reason (I mean look at his director credits on Wikipedia; a few shorts and admittedly amazing Toy Story; that's it.) then its scream at the guy with a differing opinion time.

And Swizzle illustrated a fine point. People who are not mindless sheep that jump on whatever bandwagon comes along are sometimes inaccurately branded 'trolls' on boards just because they don't agree and stick by what they think (and give reasons for it, which is something the sheep can't seem to). That ain't trolling. It's just freedom of speech.

sebbonaparte
12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd like to think that I did engage my brain before my mouth. With a name like 'blenderhead', people would think that you in some way represent the Blender community.

Either way, my point is that I don't think it's fair to bash a man who's given so much to the industry. Without John Lasseter, 3d art would no doubt be much less developed than it is at the moment. Like you said, he directed Toy Story, but he also directed Toy Story 2, a Bug's Life, and Cars, which all did well and were good movies (although Cars is not one of my favorites, it has performed phenomenally in the box office).

To simply step into the thread and call one of their shorts bordeline racist ignorance makes you more at fault for engaging your keyboard before your brain. I'd rather not start a flame war, though, so I'll just leave with that.

Littleberu
12-14-2008, 02:34 AM
lol where did this 'jealousy' nonsense come from? That's like saying a guy who flips burgers is jealous of the President of the United States. I don't understand how a low level 3d artist can be accused of being actively jealous of a director, studio head and the guy who runs Disney for gods sake. You could suggest a low level 3D Artist was jealous of the other talented folks on 3d messages boards, that would be more likely. Not that I am. It's just plain dislike. I could give you several youtube links right now that show him being a annoying prat, but you can look for yourself, right?

The only talent Lasseter has is that he was lucky enough to surround himself with auteurs like Stanton. And that he is spectacularly annoying and fake individual (at least in front of the camera). You wouldn't fawn over Michael Eisner because of work that Glenn Keane or Andreas Deja have done, would you? Give credit where its due. To Stanton and the actual designers and animators, not to the guy the press talk to.

And I am completely aware I am in the minority. A lot of people see that as a very bad thing, but I reckon the world would be very boring if everyone had the same opinions ;)

Wow, you need to look up the history of Lasseter, and fast. Rent Wall-E and listen to The Pixar Story, for starter, and then read "To Infinity and Beyond", and come back here and try to say the same thing. Now you just sound so uninformed and very much clueless. No offense, though.

And Swizzle illustrated a fine point. People who are not mindless sheep that jump on whatever bandwagon comes along are sometimes inaccurately branded 'trolls' on boards just because they don't agree and stick by what they think (and give reasons for it, which is something the sheep can't seem to). That ain't trolling. It's just freedom of speech.

Trolls are people who vent an unwanted opinion in a generally favorable environment. They "Rain on parades" most of the time, and are very much unimportant to the current discussion.

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2008, 03:28 AM
Guys I created this thread, so I can close it with no problems...

Lets engage our brains a bit more...
Anyway, lets get BACK ON TOPIC

-R

soulburn3d
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Trolls are people who vent an unwanted opinion in a generally favorable environment. They "Rain on parades" most of the time, and are very much unimportant to the current discussion.

If we're getting into the definition of a troll I'd say another major criteria is the tone of the message. If someone disagrees with someone else, or with the popular opinion, but they are very polite in their delivery, that person would not be considered a troll by most everyone. But if you say rude things, that's usually when the troll classification gets used.

- Neil

darktding
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
with bolt not doing that hot in the theaters, it looks like disney/pixar is heading towards releasing repeats and creating a brand with their cg characters.
This means releasing sequels via tv shows and movies.
Simple branding, they have the characters like incredibles, or cars or even toy story and now it is time to whore them into toys and selling ads on fast foods.
Take walle for example, the whole movie revolves around the notion of not spending but a quick check on amazon and we get this
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Eveready-Energizer-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B0018OCL3G/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229286936&sr=8-34
On the flip side, taking a risk with a whole new character as in bolt didnt seem to work; look at the box office resuts and you will see.
Sure Pixar had its romantic journey, but now with the economy taking a slump, it is time to sell their beloved characters in sequels rather than make new stories.
Sure they will make new ones, but they will also release a sequel to make up profits.
John Lasseter maybe a hero to some, but he has to answer to shareholders and other executives, money needs to flow so he needs to show that.
Also if you look at Pixar's journey you will see they are moving from a small business making simple but innovative stories, towards a big company with loads of artists to support and forced to make movies to meet the budget which means reducing risks and releasing sequels.
I guess this reflects on the whole industry, times have changed, 3d isn't the new hot medium it once was. With companies like Dreamworks, disney, blue sky, etc flooding the market you can bet branding of characters and selling them over and over will be the norm.

forsakendreams
12-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Ever since Disney hit it's animation slump, it has been about branding and they are strong in that respect. Look at Shrek, you see Shrek everywhere, and they will be making Shrek films until 2010 or 2012 I think it was.

Industry surveys have shown a direct correlation between brand recognition and movie goers watching your movie.

Larry_g1s
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
On topic...I'm looking forward to this. I'm a big Pixar fan and enjoyed Cars. It was a fun movie. This looks like a fun twist on the series.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.