PDA

View Full Version : yes...another walkcycle! (please comment/crit)

kidnapalm
12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
so here's my first attempt at a walkcycle, using 3d Max and following The Animators Survival Kit.

http://vimeo.com/2483014

although the book advises not to do walks in a cycle when animating, Im hoping to move towards computer game animation rather than feature animation so does anyone have any tips for doing walkcycles? ATM im trying to keep my final frame exactly the same as the first frame in an attempt to keep the loop smooth, however will this create a brief "held frame"? Also, any tips for generally smoothing out motions such as arm swinging, head bobbing etc?

I realise there's a ton of stuff on walkcycles on the net, but if you're going to comment/crit here it'd be nice to throw some personal advice my way :)

thanks!

Neon67
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
hi

First thing , really nice work for a first walk cycle , it looks already good , unless few things :

The foot are pushed too much ahead, and also the pelvis is too much down , and so the legs are always flexed , and never push straight .

Once you have done this , try to smooth the up and down mouvement of the pelvis , cause a character like that won't make stiff walks , but smooth one in my opinion
Then you can concentrate about overlapping effect on the head and fingers

keep it up :wavey:

kidnapalm
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
yeah, I see what you mean about his legs never being fully straight, he looks like he's walking in a crouched/seated way, thanks cos I didn't notice that before. I'll work on straightening his leg in the "up" positions. I also noticed the knees popping a bit as the feet contact the floor so ill sort that too.

it helps having fresh eyes look at something when you've been staring at it for so long, I think you end up subconsciously glossing over things because you're starting to tire and just want it to look good :D

thanks for the advice!

robcat2075
12-11-2008, 04:34 AM
One "rule" of walks is the the leg should be straight (or very nearly so, don't pull an IK leg absolutely completely straight) on the frame where the heel first contacts the ground.

But your creature is so unusual looking that the bent over crouch walk might actually be appropriate in some situation.

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2008, 04:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.