PDA

View Full Version : L.A Critics: Wall-E Best Pic of Year

SilverCity
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117997085.html?nav=news&categoryid=1983&cs=1
The Los Angeles Film Critics Assn. has named Disney/Pixar's "Wall-E" the best picture of the year, marking the first time in its history that it has given its top prize to an animated film.

lebada
12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
thats cool. i wonder wholl win the big trophy though between kung fu panda and wall-e.

one's a hilarious entertainment, the other one a very cute love story and both deliver life lessons to young and old audiences.

thankfully...i own both :buttrock:

blenderhead
12-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Darn tootin! I remember leaving the cinema and thinking 'That wasn't a great animated movie, it was just a great movie full stop!'.

It transcended other animated features because it didn't have stupid kiddy gags and furry animals. It was just a great great movie, and I agree with them.

Jon A. Bell
12-10-2008, 05:42 PM
This may be regarded as heresy, but I thought Wall-E was the first Pixar film that needed a serious second pass on the script.

To me, it's a brilliant film for the first half... but the instant they get into space and onboard the giant ship, the film completely loses its focus, features too many chases down the corridors, too many unresolved plot points (what was the point of the man and woman's budding romance, which went nowhere?) and became actually tedious.

I think it's one-half of a great film... but not the best of the year, and certainly not my favorite Pixar film (The Incredibles holds that place with me, hands-down.)

-- Jon

Tibbar
12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Jon, I agree with you. I think many people are so swept up with how different the first half of Wall-E was that they're willing to declare the entire movie a masterpiece. Although still somewhat enjoyable, I think the second half of the movie was weighed down by a rather generic, underdeveloped story. Wall-E was good, but I hope it doesn't win best film in other award ceremonies unless the other contenders are far inferior.

JoshBowman
12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Couldn't agree more with the last 2 guys, I loved the first 45 minutes or so when it was just Wall-e, Eve and the cockroach on Earth but as soon as they made contact with the humans it got really uninteresting.

Kai01W
12-10-2008, 10:14 PM
To me the incredibles was just a rather generic family action flic. Nothing special. Wall-E though definately weak in the second half, transcends certain animation genre limits (at least for mainstream Hollywood) and proves to be an inspiring movie even for people usually not interested in your typical animated family movie (it might be a generalisation but I think many movie critics belong to this group).
So I'd say it not only deserves this price but would also deserve the academy award (if only for its courage), although I still have not seen Waltz with Bashir (what a shame) which sounds as if it is a great movie too...

-k

rayboy
12-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I thought Wall E lacked soul and was confusing and pointless in places.

First of all, how did his name come about? I know it's stuck on front but this doesn't explain.
Secondly, one of the key rules of animation is that you should always understand what a character is doing in every shot - even if it's just a silhouette. I found lots of instances where he was just a confusing mess.
Finally, I just got fed up of him crashing into everything.

I'm sorry I wasted the money on the DVD

P_T
12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
From Pixar, The Incredibles and Ratatouille are the ones I kept watching again and again. If they had chosen one of these two, I would've agreed without hesitation. Not Wall-E though.

Some of the things in Wall-E felt a bit forced, mainly the humans. The spork joke felt unfinished too and it ended up being a bit lame IMO. The film too itself too seriously I think.

AJ
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
First of all, how did his name come about? I know it's stuck on front but this doesn't explain.
Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E)

The spork joke felt unfinished too and it ended up being a bit lame IMO.
Oh I couldn't agree more. For a 2 second gag it felt woefully unfinished.

When that scene happened, so many people shook their head in disbelief that it actually created a tiny tornado in the theatre.

3 people died.

Intervain
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
This may be regarded as heresy, but I thought Wall-E was the first Pixar film that needed a serious second pass on the script.

To me, it's a brilliant film for the first half... but the instant they get into space and onboard the giant ship, the film completely loses its focus
-- Jon

agreed here as well...

angel
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Seriously? they picked it as best picture of the year? I'm sorry but what are they on?
Dark Knight as runner up?

well, we are talking about critics here... nuff said.

thethule
12-11-2008, 03:41 PM
The spork joke felt unfinished too and it ended up being a bit lame IMO. The film too itself too seriously I think.

Wait, wait. Did you REALLY think that a 3 second throw away joke felt unfinished? Im curious as to how else they could have played it out? I mean, sure, it would have been better if we knew WHERE the spork had come from and if the spoon and fork were part of a set, and ideally i would have liked to know the Young's Modulus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus) of their materials, but you know, i just suspend disbelief for a second and voila! I enjoyed that elaborate setup.

Anyway, i think Wall-E was a beautiful love story, but i agree that the first half was much better and its silly to call it the best film of the year. Its just critics tryint to be "cool" or whatever. Idiots.

Breinmeester
12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
What does that mean? Why should that make a difference to the end result? Besides that, I don't think it's true. It's known that Ratatouille had a huge rewrite when Brad Bird took over and that Monsters Inc. was changed because Disney already had a monster/young girl buddy movie in production (Lilo & Stitch) and those are still excellent films with a solid story.

To me, it's a brilliant film for the first half... (...) I think it's one-half of a great film... but not the best of the year, and certainly not my favorite Pixar film.
I agree. The opening and the space dance are brilliant enough to make it a very good film, but it I feel it didn't surpass 'Ratatouille'. Maybe if 'The Dark Knight' hadn't come out it would've been best film of the year, but since it did....

P.S. I started out in 3D using your books, Jon, nice to see you roaming around here.

Jon A. Bell
12-12-2008, 02:51 AM
To me the incredibles was just a rather generic family action flic. Nothing special...

-k

If you grew up in the 1960s, as I did, and loved Space Ghost, The Herculoids, and especially Johnny Quest (the greatest cartoon EVER), then The Incredibles is a love letter to that era, and to my (and Brad Bird's) childhood memories. If I took the film back in time and showed it to myself at age 6-9, my brain would just explode with the sheer wonderfulness of it.

-- Jon

lowpolygonmesh
12-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Wall-E may not have been the best Pixar film but it was certainly enjoyable. The Incredibles was an great film that I have watched more than a few times.

webhead
12-13-2008, 04:10 AM

To me, it's a brilliant film for the first half... but the instant they get into space and onboard the giant ship, the film completely loses its focus, features too many chases down the corridors, too many unresolved plot points (what was the point of the man and woman's budding romance, which went nowhere?) and became actually tedious.

I think it's one-half of a great film... but not the best of the year, and certainly not my favorite Pixar film (The Incredibles holds that place with me, hands-down.)

-- Jon
I would agree. Though, WALL-E is an outstanding animated film, the second half of the film didn't totally deliver on the promise of the first half. Also, the enormous hype had me expecting something so incredibly earth-shattering, that no film could possibly live up to it.
Also agree with you on THE INCREDIBLES. It delivered in every way. It's one of the few films that actually exceeded my expectations.

P_T
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Wait, wait. Did you REALLY think that a 3 second throw away joke felt unfinished? Im curious as to how else they could have played it out?I don't know what a "throw away joke" is, but I thought seeing Wall-E's confused expression might've been better... or leave it out altogether.

thethule
12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't know what a "throw away joke" is, but I thought seeing Wall-E's confused expression might've been better... or leave it out altogether.

A throw away joke is a quick joke that isnt lingered on, just a fast one that doesnt need to be in there.

redbellpeppers
12-15-2008, 02:44 AM
WALL-E was just o.k.. It was nicely animated, but that's about it. Brilliant storytelling the 1st half, with no dialogue despite another ride on the tree-hugger bandwagon; the second half of the story was a celebration of mediocrity.

WALL-E was a 1 time rental, that is all.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2008, 02:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.