PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8

snickrep
06-19-2003, 05:51 PM
There might not be any news on LW8 yet, but just incase there is what are the new features and improvements over LW7.5? Will there be a new interface?

comanche
06-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by snickrep
There might not be any news on LW8 yet...

Correct.

Cman
06-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Read this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58355&highlight=Lightwave) thread

(warning: about 1/2 way though, the discussion starts to get pretty ugly and sometimes quite sophomoric)

polarman3d
06-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Just keep your eye on Newtek's site (http://www.newtek.com). That's probably the best and most reliable place to get accurate and up-to-date info...

wgreenlee1
06-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Siggraph......

robinson
06-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Lightwave 8 ?

You are kidding, it's really comming out this year ?:curious:
Hope we don't get a free compositing tool with the update !!! :argh:

SplineGod
06-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Messing with an interface that people are very used to and invalidating many a tutorial is not a good idea.

Shade01
06-21-2003, 05:15 AM
Messing with an interface that people are very used to and invalidating many a tutorial is not a good idea.

I remember having to get used to Photoshop 7 coming from Photoshop 5. And the Flash MX interface is pretty different from the Flash 4 interface. I guess as long as the same stuff is somewhere close by you'll get used to it. I agree with you Larry, but I'd deal with an interface overhaul if it really did make things better and more efficient.

lwbob
06-21-2003, 07:36 AM
People seemed to handle going from

LW5.0->5.5->6.0
3DS->Max
Alias->Maya
SI->XSI
Win3.1->95-98-NT-2000->XP

Having the need to make a new tutorial isn't a good enough reason to not consider improvement, sorry "enhancements". It all depends on how big of a change there would be if it was changed. LW 7 and 7.5 brought enough new features that even long time LW users had to learn a lot of new stuff. I think LW users could handle a pretty big change for the sake of better-stronger-faster tools.

wgreenlee1
06-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by lwbob
People seemed to handle going from

LW5.0->5.5->6.0
3DS->Max
Alias->Maya
SI->XSI
Win3.1->95-98-NT-2000->XP

Having the need to make a new tutorial isn't a good enough reason to not consider improvement, sorry "enhancements". It all depends on how big of a change there would be if it was changed. LW 7 and 7.5 brought enough new features that even long time LW users had to learn a lot of new stuff. I think LW users could handle a pretty big change for the sake of better-stronger-faster tools.

Bring it on Newtek.:thumbsup:

Roll out the friggin barrel so we can see it in the "light".

Nemoid
06-21-2003, 11:53 AM
If an interface is well organized, and the tut explaines well, searching for some tools is not so difficult. also there are configs files.

i like Lw interface expecially the buttons, because they are better than icons IMO. there maybe some reorganization in some panel, and some minor but nice improvement.
for example the possibility of specifying characters dimension on the buttons. at 1600 they appear too small.
also some colors easy changement possibility for buttons should be great,and so on....

but if Lw structure and workflow remains the same i don't see the need to rearrange the whole interface design.

Cman
06-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, a slight tweakage of news.
My job ordered upgrades with the DFX deal (if getting upgrade anyway, might as well get somethin free out of it...) and they told us the LW8 product would ship end of December 2003 at the earliest.

paraphrase: don't expect delivery until the end of December.
Of course, that might not mean anything at all. They could drop it at Siggraph. :shrug:

Psyhke
06-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey Cman

Just for clarity, when you say 'they' told you that, who was that? DFX people, someone at Newtek, or..?

lwbob
06-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Cman
---and they told us the LW8 product would ship end of December 2003 at the earliest.

That is what Newtek has been saying all along. People here are the ones that thought "preview at siggraph" really meant "we will be shipping, come get your copy."

Cman
06-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by lwbob
That is what Newtek has been saying all along. People here are the ones that thought "preview at siggraph" really meant "we will be shipping, come get your copy."

Yeah they always said 4th quarter.
I guess it was us that spun that into "October" 4th quarter, not "December" 4th quarter.
And I admit, I was one of those that speculated they could release at Sig.

Oh, and "they" was the sales rep at Newtek. As I said, it's probably meaningless. Sorry to have even brought it up. :hmm:

SplineGod
06-22-2003, 05:14 AM
I agree that any changes that make it easier/faster/better should be considered. Changes just for the sake of change or because its prettier arent good. :)
I also wouldnt obsess over shipping dates too much.
I think LW8 will ship when its ready and most everyone will be happy when it does. Im going to sit back and see what happens Q4. :)

lwbob
06-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod I agree that any changes that make it easier/faster/better should be considered. Changes just for the sake of change or because its prettier arent good. :)

you bet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.