PDA

View Full Version : It seems that Blender may be the way to go

LeeTN
06-19-2003, 06:07 PM
It seems that Blender may be the way to go...from what I've read here and on the Blender websites, it seems that this freeware program has more support and features than anyother. Not trying to start any "which program is better" wars, just stating my impression.

So, it looks like this will be the first 3D program I will try after many years of 2D and fine art work.

Any suggestions on where to start greatly appreciated (yes, I've seen the threads with the links to the tutorials, no need to relist them here).

BgDM
06-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Well, you will not be disapointed with your decision.

Just take your time. First time getting into this program can be frustrating. But beleive me, it will be worth it.

Just get the basics of modelling and light setup and you should be fine.

Also, make sure you visit www.elysiun.com for all you Blender needs. It is the sort of official Blender forum.

Welcome and have fun!

BgDM

PlanetMongo
06-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey Lee in TN, where in TN are you? I'm in Memphis and am looking to create or join a support group. :)
I'm also just getting into Blender (mainly because I use Windows and Linux and it's cross-platform.. If I add MacOS X soon, it'll still be there for me! :) Not to mention the price is fabulous). I picked up a book from Borders (this book here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761535136/qid=1056051107/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-5066824-2249544?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) ) and it seems pretty nifty. Also, 3D World magazine is starting to cover Blender some, and Linux Format had a Blender article in their last issue (looks to become a regular feature).
I really don't know how to compare Blender to the rest of the 3D world, but as I really don't want to pirate software (anymore), it's the only realistic choice I've got at the moment. Now if someone would make a Mojoworld/Bryce-like plugin.. :)

JamesMK
06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
There is quite a steep 'hump' on the learning curve, just at the beginning - but stay cool and work your way over it: it definitely pays off! And we've all been there, so don't feel bad about asking questions - and be sure to visit Elysiun.

And you're right about the features: There's much much more to Blender than meets the eye. No other free 3D-app comes even close, trust me!

Polou
06-20-2003, 12:18 AM
"Blender the way to go"

I'm more and more looking that way too.
A question for the people with good experience of Blender :
Character animation.. how dificult it is ?
I don't want comparison with other 3D softwares, just about Blender. I've seen some nice animations but I would like to know if it's really hard to set-up all the bones and then to move them.

Thanks

Elsdon
06-20-2003, 12:26 AM
Hey LeeTN

Wellcome to the living on the razor's edge of Blender.
I have to agree with the others, perseverance is the best course of action to learn world of Blender.
The pay off is huge. :bounce: :applause: :thumbsup:

(Shameless self-promotion :rolleyes: )
Since I am never ashamed of shameless self-promotion I encourage you to try my texturing tuts.
They are written with the newest of the new in mind and I have gotten some positive feedback
from people that have tried them. You can find them on my web site

http://www.geocities.com/woodsmith102000/

(End shameless self-promotion :applause: )

Hope you enjoy your new adventure.

Elsdon

dreamsgate
06-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Polou
"Blender the way to go"

I'm more and more looking that way too.
A question for the people with good experience of Blender :
Character animation.. how dificult it is ?
I don't want comparison with other 3D softwares, just about Blender. I've seen some nice animations but I would like to know if it's really hard to set-up all the bones and then to move them.

Thanks

It's not all that hard, draw bones, name them, parent to mesh, select skinning method, tweak vertices that behave oddly, pose character. all done.

LeeTN
06-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by PlanetMongo
Hey Lee in TN, where in TN are you? I'm in Memphis and am looking to create or join a support group. :)
Support group? You mean like: "Hi, my name is Lee and I use Blender."

[Crowd responds : "Hi. Lee"]

LOL...

PlanetMongo I'm in Chattanooga.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I plan to spend the time going over quite a bit of the info here and on the Blender support sites.

One question though, should I download the latest version 2.27 or an earlier one? I couldn't tell from the site if it was a final release or a "beta" version. Also, it seems that the audio tracking add-in is going to be included in version 2.28, does anyone know if that is expected soon?

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

BgDM
06-20-2003, 03:27 PM
For what version to DL, I would suggest you try and find versions 2.23, 2.25 and then get 2.27.

Reasons are as follows:

2.23 - Pyhton API works great in this version. Allows all Python plugins to work properly, (i.e. zblur, terrain plugins, etc.). Great for adding some effects on render.

2.25 - Only version that allows for VRML 2 import/export properly.

2.27 - Just cause it's the new one. :p

All are pretty much the same funtion wise.

As for Ver. 2.28, check the status at www.blender.org That's the development site for Blender.

Have fun.

BgDM

LeeTN
06-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BgDM
For what version to DL, I would suggest you try and find versions 2.23, 2.25 and then get 2.27.

Reasons are as follows:

2.23 - Pyhton API works great in this version. Allows all Python plugins to work properly, (i.e. zblur, terrain plugins, etc.). Great for adding some effects on render.

2.25 - Only version that allows for VRML 2 import/export properly.

2.27 - Just cause it's the new one. :p

All are pretty much the same funtion wise.

As for Ver. 2.28, check the status at www.blender.org That's the development site for Blender.

Have fun.

BgDM
It seems that you are implying that the features of 2.23 and 2.25 are different? Is the support for Python not maintained in 2.25? And is the VRML support not in 2.27?

That seems very strange to me that subsequent versions don't have the same compatibilities that their earlier builds do....

Also, does anyone know if Blender is SMP compatible? A big question that I should have asked before, considering my specs (see sig).

BgDM
06-20-2003, 06:50 PM
No, the basic features for modelling, texturing, lighting, etc., are all the same.

For some reason, the VRML is broken in the newer versions. It is explained at blender.org. So if you need more info, go see that there.

Python support is maintained throughout all versions. Just the Python API changed and some of the plugins did not change with it.

As for SMP, I have no idea. I would suggest you go to www.elysiun.com and post that question in the Q&A forum there. Someone should know.

BgDM

LeeTN
06-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, it appears that Blender is not SMP aware or capable at this time. However, I did find several requests that that be changed. Still going to run with it anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Apollux
06-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Blender is not SMP designed (and is likely to remain that way)... according to Ton Roosendaal's words on the old NaN community forum (Toon is the original developer of Blender).

I asked for SMP support long time ago and they told me that it would require too much re-writting of the code (multithreading aware software isn't the easiest to create, you know).

However, if you need SMP for rendering animations (I doubt it would do any difference while modeling) you can open multiple instances of Blender, and put them to do background render at the same time (each one linked to a different CPU, your SMP operating system should provide means to do that).

The trick is that each instance doing the render would be working on a different section of the animation, let's say Blender #1 is rendering frames 1 to 600 and Blender #2 is rendering frames 601 to 1200, etc. etc. You set the output to a numered still images and in the end make the video file with any video compositing app (even Blender can do it).

BgDM
06-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Well, Ton is saying that there will be a complete Blender re-write in 2004. So maybe SMP can be added then.

Might be worth going over the www.blender.org and posting in the forum there.

BgDM

LeeTN
06-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know when 2.28 is supposed to hit? It seems that that release is going to have several important improvements and new capabilities...

milqman
07-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Blender has a great community especially on the irc network: irc.freenode.net @ #blenderchat

If your looking for a good community, Lightwave also has an excellent community.

dpvtank
07-02-2003, 11:56 PM
yup
i have found the lightwave and the blender communities to be the best.
and, it appears that blender 2.28 (the beta came out) will have the best python api implementation so far..
:D

KotsVlok
07-03-2003, 04:16 PM
SPACE ....the magical button....

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.