PDA

View Full Version : Quadro FX 4800 :: Hardware Review

PaulHellard
12-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Hey there,

We heard about it months ago, and arranged for a secret shipment to the reviewer in a brown paper parcel under the cloak of darkness. Then George Maestri installed and turned the Quadro FX 4800 on in his office PC and woke the whole place up.
Read what he says about NVIDIA's latest Quadro.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/quadro_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4816)

opus13
12-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Whee. Another pseudo-review.

Any reason why CGsociety never actually compares pro cards against each other?

Simply spitting out benchmark numbers becomes completely arbitrary when common platform components are not used.

In other words: If every (cough) review platform is different for each card that someone posts numbers for, then those numbers are entirely irrelevant. If you actually use an identical platform in a group test of differing cards (even if not carried over to a future review), then a comparison can be made between the different cards.

Right now all you have said is:

"Huh. I plugged a video card into my machine, and it looks like it worked. I couldn't tell you if it's better than anything else, but it technically works. Isn't that awesome?"

mosconariz
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
NVIDIA NVART thumb next to NVIDIA Quadro FX "review"

Haha... Can't be a little less obvious?

lebada
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
thats an ad, not a review. ill wait on some tech sites to do a comparison, not that i can afford this anytime soon.

Oli4D
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Hmm, new Highend Quadros all the time...
Does anyone know when we can expect the next new midrange card?
A replacement for the 1700?
When are they usually comming? A month after the highend card? Or does this vary a lot?

Grim Beefer
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I learned in the article that the pro cards are supposedly better than the gaming cards for handling large scenes. However, I seem to remember people saying elsewhere that the main difference between a Geforce and a Quadro was in the drivers, not hardware, and furthermore, there was even a way to mod one into the other. Maybe they've changed?

Does anyone have any hands on experience with Quadros vs. gaming cards? What's the real difference? Is the average 3d grunt even going to notice it?

mim-Armand
12-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Does anyone have any hands on experience with Quadros vs. gaming cards? What's the real difference? Is the average 3d grunt even going to notice it?
Ya, it's for sure,... but not in all spects you'll expect;
in fact I found it's really hard to choose which card will work better for you, quadro cards working really good in long time pressures and massive scenes but really lack in someothers though even in compare with a Geforce, I tested and compared some models (mid and pro) of Quadros with GF 9800X2, 8800 and 6800 cards in several studios I just worked and then I just bought a 8800 for my own pc! but it's really worth for sutios yet, and I think the quadro goal was the vis market from the first times more and I think it achieved that, you can't find a Geforce work better than quadro in Autocad at all! but in Film and vfx/animation, I think they have to make something specially tweaked for this parpose as well; all in all I found quadro cards really usefull for architects and less but yet usefull for artists!
btw it would answer something though:
Professional class cards are typically a step above consumer cards in power and price. They are geared not only to be fast, but also handle very large data sets.

and about the article, it's ok though! it's even better seeing it than not to! and it's really great that NVidia will support the comunity, sponsering challenges etc, and it's logic that they have expectaions also; whats the problem with it?! and it's just a "review" yet;
as meself I apreciate both CGS and NVidia for whole the contribution though! :)

just my thoughts btw! :)

Sonk
12-10-2008, 03:17 AM
When are they usually comming? A month after the highend card? Or does this vary a lot?

Dude save yourself ALOT of money and just wait next month, i hear Nvidia might release a GeForce card with 1.5 GB of VRAM, now couple this with a Quadro driver via a custom .INF you got yourself a "Quadro" card for a third of the price. I got a GTX 260 and ran the latest quadro driver its abit more stable when running 3D app(Mudbox,modo), instead of using the GeForce driver.

Well, I learned in the article that the pro cards are supposedly better than the gaming cards for handling large scenes. However, I seem to remember people saying elsewhere that the main difference between a Geforce and a Quadro was in the drivers, not hardware, and furthermore, there was even a way to mod one into the other. Maybe they've changed?

I think there are some minor HW difference between the GeForce vs Quadro, but for the most part they are the same card with different drivers. It's a great way to rip people off IMO ;)

The Quadro drivers are more stable for 3D application and even running Left4Dead i found them great.

mister3d
12-10-2008, 05:44 AM
As far as I remember, the major hardware difference is hardware support of antialiasing in viewports, maybe some outputs are different, like stereoscopic 3d or something. I think you still can have bugs while running quadro drivers on geforce cards. So the major difference claimed is speed in viewports. For 3ds max users it's up to 100% of speed increase due to different Maxtreme drivers.

Stevemoh
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes there is a big difference. I just put in a Geforce 9800GT to replace a broken Quadro3400. I had to get a deadline done and had no other option. Theoretically, I should have seen a huge performance. While 3D Studio Max performs better in certain situations in other situations it chokes. Large files etc...... After Effects gives me all kinds of OGL errors and switching between programs is much more sluggish. Theres good trade offs...mostly money, but I will be tossing the Geforce for a Ebayed Quadro as soon as I find a deal.

JLLilley
12-11-2008, 05:07 AM

Yeah usually a few months about 2 to 6 depending on the lineup and so on. Quadros have a 2 yr lifespan before they get a refresh and then they are still available for almost a yr or so after that even. Even when their not the current card.

Id say keep an eye out for the mids around March to July time frame in between there is when you will see them.

JLLilley
12-11-2008, 05:20 AM

Yeah i just recently used my GTX280 with Maya and then plopped in my FX5800 to see the difference. And there is a difference in perf as well as visual quality in large scenes I mean large scenes.

And for a studio with lots of artists and machines quadros really make sense but, for a home machine to do work at home not so much due to the high cost. You can't really benefit from most of the Quadro benefits unless your using a quantity of the cards. Like long life span, stability guarantees, software certifications and so on.

The Geforce will shine in certain aspects like frame rates since they have drivers written to have the fastest possible framerates they usually will beat a quadro except in many not all but many openGL based applications. Its all really application dependant. Quadros have a few driver tweaks that are cool too like more multi monitor abilities and settings, more settings for setting up specific settings for individual applications so when that app runs the settings are optimized for that app. and then they change to the next one, and they are written to be OpenGL optimized, and they are typically tested with the pro software so you dont' have to worry about some bugs you get with the gamer cards.

A gamer card vs. a pro card using DX10 you won't see a perf diff. in openGL you usually will. But, for studios perf isn't the real benefit of using quadro anyways. Its the quaranteed stability and all the software certs that push them to the cards.

Its similar to Intel and AMD mainstream CPU's vs. workstation CPU's no real physical difference in most ways but, they have a backbone of support structure and so on built around professional market making them very good for companies and so on. These support structures might seem frivolous but, in the end they usually save companies money by going with the pro solutions over the mainstream solutions. Not always usually though.

Individual users not so much.

AndHolzmeister
12-12-2008, 04:35 AM
well i have tested many pro quadros at the studios i worked, and usually my midrange geforce performs better at my home computer, even the computer usually being better at work though... i am talking at the time a QuadroFX3400 vs a geforce 7600GT... well, my 7600 GT were much faster in 3dsmax then the quadro, specially for animation wich framerate counts the most... what is my benefit on having a better aliasing in the viewport anyways??? even for those that makes games, the real deal is only when tested in the game engine... the preview is not that important for the incredibely amout of money you save at the end!

Never had viewport bugs with geforce cards, unless i would like to use opengl over direct3d wich i would not understand why i would do that in 3dsmax... over those years i have not found one single reason to use quadro cards... :banghead:

ptacnik
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Jettatore
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Whee. Another pseudo-review.

That actually bugged me a bit too, but I don't think CGtalk does it intentionally. It would be nice if a professional review site, like HardOCP or something, would pick up the Quadro line of cards and do some serious tests in an honest review compared to consumer end gaming cards in a variety of CAD, 3D and Vis FX applications.

Everything else I've read that claims to be a review of a Quadro line card (or any other Pro 3D card for that matter, not picking on NVidia here because I love them) ends up resembling a fancily written Advertisement rather than a serious review.

You can pick up some extranious details from these sorts of reviews, but if your seriously considering buying one of these cards without wanting to break your budget needlessly, you'd be hard pressed to find solid benchmarks and visual comparisons vs. an affordable gaming card.

I build new machines for myself and other artists all the time, and if I could get some solid proof that spending Quadro-ple or better the price would at least quadruple the preformance I would seriously consider putting one in my own rigs and I'm sure others would as well. However my first hand experience, without actually doing any benchmarks, always has my home gaming card working as good or better. I will say though, that I do occasionally run into driver hastles, and visual/viewport glitches which usually take an update or a rollback to fix. I can see the worth of cost to a studio, that doesn't want to waste a nickel on these sorts of incidents, not to mention, they usually buy pre-built rigs that just come with the Quadro's in them anyways.

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.