PDA

View Full Version : NVArt - Surreal

salmonmoose
12-09-2008, 12:29 AM
http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/images/surreal_blog-banner.jpg (http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04)

Artists have created strange and wonderful imaginings that are surreal for a long time. Like windows into some fantastic world Surreal paintings have a special fascination that reminds us of the boundless creativity we all knew as children. Now the digital medium allows the artists to bring their wildest dreams to life. In an age where virtuality meets reality the surreal has become real.

In this, the fourth NVArt competition, artists are invited to recreate their most imaginative fantasies in the style of master surrealist, Jacek Yerka.

workaholic
12-09-2008, 01:14 AM
at last :)

BarneysPosse
12-09-2008, 01:36 AM
This is going to be epic.

Artbot
12-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Wow, those are really some specific rules (lighting style, pre-set palette, etc.). Should be interesting, though.

TraceR
12-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Wow this actually looks pretty freaking awesome. I'll definitely make something if I can come up with a good idea. Will definitely be quite the challenge.

MarkSnoswell
12-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Wow, those are really some specific rules (lighting style, pre-set palette, etc.). Should be interesting, though.

That's not rules -- We have given more information than previously to help entrants. I didn't want people complaining that it was technically too hard to re-create Yerka's style... so I worked out the basics and added the information to help entrants.

cabotinecco
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
It's must be very awesome and interesting!What we do is introject our imagination and the style of master surrealist, Jacek Yerka.:cool:

FistOfGod
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Oh man, this looks really cool. I think I might join in on this one (still deciding). Good luck to everyone!

Waylon

tlggungor
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Its fantastic challenge : ) but first I must complete the steampunk challenge :) :beer:

adib
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah! This is Really Great Ideea and Challenge! But I must finish my Steampunk entry first!:beer:

Piktor
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe the question sounds silly but for me it's not totally obvious: is it a full 3d challenge or 2d paint is ok as well?
- Thanks!

JurajMolcak
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah! This is Really Great Ideea and Challenge! But I must finish my Steampunk entry first!:beer:

Yeah, I found that challenge interesting as well. Maybe the CGSociety could do something with deadline for "Steampunk Video Entrants"? The deadline extension for us eager to enter this wonderful surreal world? A month would be ideal :thumbsup:

mim-Armand
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
WOW! really great theme! Like it alot!
unfortunately it's in same time schedule with Steam Punk (vid) and I can't contribute also :(

Yeah, I found that challenge interesting as well. Maybe the CGSociety could do something with deadline for "Steampunk Video Entrants"? The deadline extension for us eager to enter this wonderful surreal world? A month would be ideal :thumbsup:
Agreed! :D it's great if they do, ?!

m,

Cyberone
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
i actually find this more to my taste than the steampunk one....might have to switch over as i dont have time for both...

sonicstrawbery
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Definately in !

schobes
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Very inspiring! Really looking forward to this...

biliousfrog
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
well I didn't get a chance to join the last nvidia challenge so I'll make an extra effort to enter this. I've already started a concept sketch, hopefully I'll get time to finish it.

Good luck to all entrants:thumbsup:

janzak
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Does the image have to be lying down or could it be 1600*2560 instead?

EDIT:
I converted the Jacek color table to a Photoshop .aco swatch, attaching it here :)

Riptcage
12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Awesome idea! i love this because the imagination can run wild beyond belief! I'm in!

milkweed
12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
im in the army in iraq, will i get disqualified if i cant respond to an email if by the slimmest chances i place?

davidbernal
12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
looks AWESOME!!

viiltaja
12-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I REALLY look forward the great things this brings out.

juancuadra
12-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Sounds awesome!!!

Irawan
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
great!perhaps i find a good time for this one.

oneandonlyDiscoStu
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
wow this is great. a few minutes ago i saw the super hero contest announcement and wrote:
why superheros again they are everywhere! why not rene magrite!

then i come here and see this! you guys are great

xeni
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi my name is shkelzen kernaja i like to enter for the challenger i am 17 yers old in the 10/01/09 i am going to be 18 years old, do you think i can enter my image after birthsday 10 january.

i was uandering if they can extende the date because i nead time to finished this challenger and the Steampunk.

topherus
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
It sad That I would not be able to continue my steampunk entry, because I really want to spend my energy on this one,,,,,its really awesome theme.

Qual
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Sound interesting, you have to get the own style of Jacek Yerk? Kinda makes me confused whats "exactly" the contest is.

I hope I can enter this nvdia contest as the ones before! If I have the time for it :)

MarkSnoswell
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Bunch of answers:

- As long as you turn 18 before the end of the competition you can enter.

- It doesn't matter where you are, Iraq or Iceland, you are free to enter and if you win, you win -- even if we have some difficulty contacting you.

- The NVArt competitions run on a separate schedule to the Challenges -- we cant avoid clashes in deadlines all the time. If you cant enter this one there will be plenty more in the future.

- People should not copy Jacek Yerks's paintings -- just do your own sureal image in his style.

- 2D or 3D is OK.

JurajMolcak
12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
The NVArt competitions run on a separate schedule to the Challenges -- we cant avoid clashes in deadlines all the time. If you cont enter this one there will be plenty more in the future.

Thanks for the word. Yeah, it just happend that the topic is very very nice this time, so few of us had this discussion about the deadline :arteest:

galeon
12-12-2008, 06:17 AM
It's definately a good challenge! I think I'll participate.
It would be good prizes to be accompanied by a signed book from Yerka, or some signed posters...

Irawan
12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi.
where i can upload my sketch or image in progress?.
because if i press the button submit your entry
seem to be just for the final illustration.
"Select the image from your computer, images must be exactly 2560x1600 pixels, if your image is too small, place black bars to make up the page size."

this comand is for the final image only or the sketches as well
because it would be nice if i can put online my sketch and get the feedback from forum, and not just send the final image.

thanks for the answer in advance.

PanicAttack
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
I have one question.

Can I use that image in my portfolio after February 10th?

thanks.

Cyberone
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi.
where i can upload my sketch or image in progress?.
because if i press the button submit your entry
seem to be just for the final illustration.
"Select the image from your computer, images must be exactly 2560x1600 pixels, if your image is too small, place black bars to make up the page size."

this comand is for the final image only or the sketches as well
because it would be nice if i can put online my sketch and get the feedback from forum, and not just send the final image.

thanks for the answer in advance.

the Nvid contests are final images only....

Irawan
12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Cyberone,
Thank you so much!

aurora
12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I just had to come in and echo a couple others, I love this theme alot more then the steampunk as this is way more up my alley.

I think I missed it in the rules (sorry quick read through during lunch) but is this like past NVidia challenges where we can enter as many pieces as we want? I'm assuming yes but probably only have time to do one really well instead of a couple half-a'ed ones as I did in the past. So I guess I sort of answered my own question. Damn see what finals does to an old man like me.

Mucus
12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
This is really a nice contest, very different to all the others. Since time I'm looking at yacek yerka work, I will probably get inside this one. I would really be happy to know what Yacek is thinking about this contest, could we hope to have a word from him?

@lias
12-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I have one question.

Can I use that image in my portfolio after February 10th?

thanks.

i would like to receive a feedback on that one too. can i use it to compete on the CGchoice awrad as an example
- can i post it over other forums an galleries online other than cg society
-if the answer is yes . do i have to wait after 10th feb

thanks

biliousfrog
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I assume that this contest is the same as the other nvidia ones, you can link back to your entry on here but it must not be published anywhere else until after the winners are anounced. Once the competition is over you can post the image wherever you like.

MarkSnoswell
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
You can post your image in your CGPortfolio at any stage -- you don't need to wait for the end of the competition.

Other than in your CGPortfolio, entered images can not appear elsewhere before the end of the competition.

After the end of the competition you can publish your image without restriction.

xeni
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
hi i have question i have stared my work , the image size i have started 1600 X 2559 pixels is it ok .

many thanks

ChaoLin
12-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi I was reading the information and it states "One image per entry must be uploaded prior to June 19th 2008." What does this exactly mean?

Dashenka
01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Specify please what last day work sendings? 9/02/09 or 10/03/09 ?

MarkSnoswell
01-28-2009, 01:43 AM
The closing date for the competition has been extended to:

Monday, the 2nd of March 2009.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.