PDA

View Full Version : Generic worker from animation short (w/animations)

KlooM
04-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally made for an animation short that drowned in darlings and got put "on hold". :)

Planning on a rework of the crotch and some maps, the current textures are just max procedurals. Any comments?

Anims uses the divx codec:
Short animation test. (http://home.no.net/kloom/anims/robotturning.avi)

And another one, a bit slo-mo. (http://home.no.net/kloom/anims/pugilist.avi)

http://home.no.net/kloom/tempics/posedgi0005.JPG

Toeng.com
04-30-2002, 09:46 PM
OMG ... this is a good robot model ... I haven't downloaded the movie yet ... but I will :)
I think I'm gonna love it. :buttrock:

Edgemaster
04-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Looks good..So how long is your short put on hold for? Hope not long...I like what I see :buttrock: And when it's finished where can I find the web site this will be on? Id really like to see the final product...

KlooM
04-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Im sorry, but the hold might very well be a neverending one. We just ran out of spare time. Im still tempted to do a reaaally short animation-short with the robot as the main character though. Shame not to use him when I finally got a model finished. Thats why Im planning to replace the crotch-plate, because i think its waay to static. And the textures are all to random. The coordinates are locked to the world, so they wouldnt work in animation either...)

Playmobil
04-30-2002, 10:54 PM
ehi buddy...

impressive your model..
good design, animation the same...

good!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Playmobil

tpe
05-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Great work there and animation, I am sure i have seen it somewhere before ;). Love the detailing around the knees

tpe

pg|
05-02-2002, 01:27 AM
HEJHEJ KLOOM!
kult se at flere norske kommer her!
har ikke sett noen poster fra deg her fr :)
fortsatt superflott bot!

urgaffel
05-02-2002, 02:33 AM
It would be a crime punishable with death by pink rubber piggies not to use that robot. Great work on the joints etc :)

GlasS-
05-02-2002, 02:41 AM
I really like this one!
The lightning is incredible...
What program did you use, and what renderer?
I want to see more :/

/GlasS

ACFred
05-02-2002, 02:43 AM
I really like the model. Very nice job with that.

Your animation is pretty good, but there are a couple of things to look at if you're planning on making adjustments.

I know this isn't a fembot or anything, but how about accentuating the wrist movement just a touch.
Finishing position of the arms happens too quickly. They snap into position and the character's left arm really gets jerky near the end.
I'd like to see some dampening on the knees of your character, too. When he steps, they snap into position, making it seem as if his hydraulics are providing no resistance. It might require slowing the character's gait a little bit

Also, your character's right foot slides backward ever so slightly (I've watched this thing 20 times now) so you might wanna fix whatever's causing that.

I'd also like to see his back & shoulders rest into the position as well. When he turns his back to us, his arms absorb the momentum from the transition, but the shoulders and back remain stiff at the end. If you animate the finish of the shoulders or back just a little, it might help to make the finish on the arms seem more realistic.

Overall, I think he needs to show a little more weight when he moves. I'm sure you know how to do that so I won't go into that here unless you want me to.

That's all nit-picky stuff, but I like it and think it has potential so I figure I'd just go for it.

Keep it up. Don't abandon the project! This character deserves to live!

bubba
05-02-2002, 03:27 AM
Hello Kloom

Welcome to the board Kloom. :beer:
You robot is way cool, but I've seen other rendreings of it with better texturing than thisone.

Edvin

KOryH
05-02-2002, 04:16 AM
I like it a lot!

No crits from me.

KlooM
05-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies, gives an incentive to do some more work on it. The knee-snapping bit in the animation is something I have encountered a couple of times with biped, but I should have tried fixing it anyway, sorry :P. This is the first and only animations tests of this bot, so they might not be very characteristic for the robot. I should try fixing that too, but first i want to figure out something story-like to focus on.

And hello all norwegian people, hail the revolution!
Heres the untextured version (or the plain-texture version), front and back. The shot from the back has light-overburn on the shoulders, but dont worry about it. :)

http://home.no.net/kloom/tempics/posedgi0007.JPG
http://home.no.net/kloom/tempics/posedgi0006.JPG

stipen
05-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Excellent!!
I love your Model and the lighing !!!
My only crit is that it seems too light when it jumps!!
The punch is too good!!

Just love it!!

the fernyman
05-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Awesome, just love the mechanical estructure.
Are you an engineer or something?

Best!

KlooM
05-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Nope, no engineer, but Ive always aspired to study cybernetic engineering. Still got enough school points to do it, so I just might someday. :)
Still, making robots in 3d is a LOT quicker and a LOT easier! So Im not so sure Ill change professions anytime soon. Really feel like changing that ugly, stiff crotch-plate, hope Ill get some free time in the weekend.

goodlag
05-04-2002, 05:52 AM
wow very Excellent!!

i love it

great design

xynaria
05-04-2002, 08:46 AM
Great design,model, texturing, rendering etc. Animation doesn't quite work for me in places in that in both anims it has an appearence of being too spongy. I think this shows most in the elongated length of time when he is the air on the jump. I can't quite put my finger on it but I thik it's down to the fact that a lot of it seems almost too articulate rather than having some of the stiffness the shape kinda makes you think it's going to have. Great stuff non the less, especially in the detailing of both the model and the anim and something I really feel you should go to town on. :)

phoenix
05-04-2002, 03:02 PM
very nice dude ....no comments

beautiful....

henry
05-04-2002, 03:30 PM
very very impressive but
1. seems too light when he jumps
2. lower the motion blur! seemed big to me :)

oh well adios :wavey:

ErickG
05-04-2002, 03:31 PM
SMOKES! Give us more.....

-Erick

hypercube
05-08-2002, 04:02 AM
Kickass. You've already gone over the little animation tweaks, so will just say the bot rules. And not that it matters, but I like the 'safety orange' scheme best. :)

Look forward to seeing more, hope you continue to post as it goes. If the rest of the short is going to look like that, damn!

P.S. do you actually not have a site yet or is my DNS acting funny?

KlooM
05-08-2002, 08:07 AM
I should have a site soon, I just paid the damn thing last friday. Thought it would be up and running by the time anyone bothered to click the link I posted :). You could check out home.no.net/kloom for my site, but that could turn out to be an absurd and fruitless moment of surfing.

Thank you again for all the comments, I`m planning a sturdy looking hoverbike for him. Or at least some one-person means of transportation. Maybe I`ll post a design dummy in the wip section soon.

parallax
05-08-2002, 09:40 AM
i really have no crits at all.
I love the second one. reminds me of those industrial robots used to make cars & stuff.:thumbsup:
nice departure from the rusty torn & worn look.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.