PDA

View Full Version : boats on sea

mescalito111
12-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi

I need to get some particles (instanced 'boats') positoned on an animated plane ( stormy sea taken from Pete Drapers 'Deconstructing the elements) to inherit their orientation and positon from the plane, ie so they're moving with the sea plane but are not overly affected by it. Ideally I would like to be able to scale the amount of inherited motion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Piflik
12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I am not sure if that works the way you want to, but I would try as follows:

First create an instace of the Ocean-Plane and scale it down a bit along the Z-axis. This will be the emitter fo your particle system.

Create an empty PFlow system and put a Position Object operator in the Birth event. There you drop the instance of your ocean and activate Link to Object and Animated Shape.

This way the boats follow the waves of the ocean, but not completely, since the motion of the instance is a bit less than the motion of the ocean. You can control the amount of inherited motion by the scale of the instanced ocean.

PsychoSilence
12-07-2008, 02:36 AM
If u have the particle flow toolbox #1 ur toolset gets extended dramaticly including the LOCK/BOND operator:

http://www.orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box1/utilities/

it lets u lock objetcs to a sufrace but at the same time forces influence it. so u can lock boats to a water surface bt have a slight breeze going to keep things moving naturally...might be worth testign the demo and purchasing it then. it really extends the particle flow.

kind regards,
anselm

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2008, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.